Knives in 2024..?!

Is anyone still buying knives this year? I'm dying to know this year's pocket knife sales figures compared to the last couple.
I scroll through "New Arrivals" on a few distributors pages everyday just to see what's what and always end up see something new that looks really interesting or something I'd like to own, but I just can't see myself paying the money they're charging for knives right now. The new WE Nitro OG is $315!!!!!! Benchmade's new little plastic water knife is $230! The Para 3 is $200...... That's just crazy to me. I've been collecting for years and years, and prices always go up. I get that. But this year it's really irritating me. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of or something. IDK. I but I can't seem to click that "Add to Cart" no matter how much I feel like I want it.

I might buy a Case Stockman this year. I have a medium, but have been wanting a 65 for a while.

There is nothing wrong in being cautious with your money in the market, it is your choice if you feel prices are too high. I feel I can find bargains for knives that will be used as opposed to just be collected, my Opinel will cut just as well as a more expensive knife, for my needs. There are choices and each have to weigh what they want to spend. There are good bargains for more expensive knives, worth it, but I think I know where my limits are, I would also like to hear others’ opinions about the expense of this hobby. There is something also to be said of cry only once for quality, but prices have gone up. The last one I spent about 60.00 for a Case two blade tear drop in jigged bone. I would have liked to get it for 45 or 50, but I liked it and felt it was worth it.

I will buy the SE Chaparral for a blade swap. And sell the PE/FRN "byproduct". Maybe an OG Camo/DLC Military before it gets disco'd. I will also sell two or three folders I never use and maybe go for an iMamba.

I only bought two last year. I've been digging through my stuff and using knives I've had for a long time as added variety.
This is where I'm at lately. That's what I've been doing to scratch the itch. I've been carrying older stuff that I haven't carried in a while. I get bored with what I'm carrying pretty quickly, so I'm always changing it up. I get in different "moods" of what I want to carry. But even up to 2022 or so, I was regularly buying new models. One a month at least. ..... Last Christmas I bough a Hinderer (still the same price as for as long back as I can remember), and this year I pulled the trigger on a BP Customs Wasp. But everything that typical manufacturers are putting out is just way too expensive IMO. Unless you find a good sale or something. Chicago Knifeworks has some good deals sometimes. But imagine paying $180 for a Bugout right now? Like your first Bugout, and you're paying $195 after shipping. ..... I just don't know about that lol.

Is anyone still buying knives this year? I'm dying to know this year's pocket knife sales figures compared to the last couple.
I scroll through "New Arrivals" on a few distributors pages everyday just to see what's what and always end up see something new that looks really interesting or something I'd like to own, but I just can't see myself paying the money they're charging for knives right now. The new WE Nitro OG is $315!!!!!! Benchmade's new little plastic water knife is $230! The Para 3 is $200...... That's just crazy to me. I've been collecting for years and years, and prices always go up. I get that. But this year it's really irritating me. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of or something. IDK. I but I can't seem to click that "Add to Cart" no matter how much I feel like I want it.
I like everybody else, has had to raise my prices too. I can tell ya we fight tooth and nail not to but there ya are. We cuss and discuss it a lot. I've been doing this long enough that one of my Coyote models with one of my leather sheaths use to sell for $85. Thats been a lil while. A similar Coyote knife now (bare bones) and with the same Slotted (default) leather sheath sells for $315 today Hate it, but there it is. Obviously, I can't make and sell knives at a loss.

Just some examples:

The glue I use for handles has doubled in the last couple of years. Steel is up as we all know and here is the kicker I think for anybody ordering materials. Not only has the materials gone up (my leather about $1.50 a sq ft) but the shipping to get said supplies to me has doubled. Especially for anything heavy like a box of brass for bolsters, or a side of leather. So a sheet of steel that last year I paid $35-$40 for is now $45-$50, (free shipping and I have absolutely no idea how they do that!). These are just a few examples that affect us daily. Inflation is a thing and it affects everyone whether we like it or not.

In the past I bought things to try out different styles etc but now I've narrowed down what I'm actually interested in buying and don't mind paying for something that fits the bill. There's always the temptation to grab a 'bargain' that will ultimately disappoint and end up forgotten in a drawer.

I am going to say this and it will probably go over like a lead balloon here, but I think the market has gone too far into the premium knife/materials/super steel trend. To your point, most of the new knives are ridiculously expensive and therefore beyond what most people are willing to pay. I am good with them selling premium knives for the folks that want them, but companies need to have some decent designs that are more budget friendly. You can sell your super steel premium line for $250 if you want, but I would be more happy with the same knife in 420HC or 440A for $75 or less. I guess I would just like to see more budget options. Buck is a good example of this, they can sell 110 and 112 slims for under $40 and make money, that tells me it is possible. They also have upgraded options for those who want them.

I’m considering a crucarta Millie 2 or manix 2.
That’s about it right now. I would rather have a og Millie crucarta and yes the prices seem over the limit, not sure if I will or not.

Prices are not going back down, they may increase slower in the future but not going back down.
It is a reality, the sad part is that wages do not keep pace with inflation historically.

I also have too many knives as is and have already throttle back purchases prior to recent hikes thankfully, but this doesn't help me in other parts of live (the necessary expenditures, not my knife Hobby)

Last edited:
I will probably buy one (or 5) at the GAKC show in St Louis in August. Looking at a Cheburkov Scout or maybe as Seamus. But otherwise none this year so far.

Back