Knives in 2024..?!

This beauty came in yesterday. While doing some research, I came across a post on this forum dated 2011 where the reviewer stated he paid $180. Exactly what I paid today. 13 years and not a single dollar increase. Strange, especially if you consider the high level of inflation in recent years. I found that unusual in the knife world. Great knife btw if anyone is in the market for a Ka-Bar on steroids

IMG_3102.jpeg

Last edited:
I just wanted to remind us that we do this primarily for entertainment. If profit were the key thing we would be buying Pakistani and Chinese junk wholesale for a buck and selling it for 10x as much. As far as entertainment goes, we get to enjoy our hobby and are left with a residual value that we can recover. That’s better than most forms of entertainment.

N2s

I've purchased 5 Microtechs and a Hinderer Eklipse in the last 7 months, usually I'll go for 2 or 3 knives like that a year tops, so I kinda went overboard.

My purchasing has slowed way down, and lately, it's been things like Case or Victorinox. I do still love knives, after all. I just have so many expensive folders that I don't carry, because I've simmered my "EDC" down to several knives that I rotate in and out, but each of which could be my only knife for the rest of my life and I'd be good. Given that, it's hard to justify spending another $500 on a knife that will make it into my collection, not be able to beat any of my chosen inner circle, then go into one of my knife chests only to be taken out for occasional carry. I am taking far less than I usually do to BLADE this year, because I just don't anticipate buying that much this year. I recently looked back at pics of my past BLADE show hauls and it's funny, most of the knives I've purchased, I either later sold or just never carry. Probably a lesson in there for me.

There is only 1 other knife that I currently want to buy but I haven't purchase it yet because its cost exceeds $1000.

I have the $ & am still thinking about it but, if I buy it, it will be the last knife that I buy in 2024.

Famous last words. 🤷‍♂️

I just "found" another vintage Hattori designed Kershaw to add to my collection. I'll post pics of it in the relevant threads after I receive it.

So, that's the 15th knife that I've bought this year but I'm still "thinking about buying the +$1K one mentioned above. :cool:

My purchasing has slowed way down, and lately, it's been things like Case or Victorinox. I do still love knives, after all. I just have so many expensive folders that I don't carry, because I've simmered my "EDC" down to several knives that I rotate in and out, but each of which could be my only knife for the rest of my life and I'd be good. Given that, it's hard to justify spending another $500 on a knife that will make it into my collection, not be able to beat any of my chosen inner circle, then go into one of my knife chests only to be taken out for occasional carry. I am taking far less than I usually do to BLADE this year, because I just don't anticipate buying that much this year. I recently looked back at pics of my past BLADE show hauls and it's funny, most of the knives I've purchased, I either later sold or just never carry. Probably a lesson in there for me.
I honestly don't own that many knives, but most are fairly high value and almost all get carried.

I'm actually considering selling my Alan Davis, it's the one knife I have that is a safe queen, and I told myself I'd never have safe queens. The Damascus blade is do thin I know I'll damage it if I use it.

Today is my usual Friday carry, a $950 R&H Tasca 2.

Famous last words. 🤷‍♂️

I just "found" another vintage Hattori designed Kershaw to add to my collection. I'll post pics of it in the relevant threads after I receive it.

So, that's the 15th knife that I've bought this year but I'm still "thinking about buying the +$1K one mentioned above. :cool:

You aren't the only one, my friend. I just placed an order for one of the new Benchmade Adiras. Big slab of MagnaCut in a really "friendly" color scheme with an Axis lock? Yes, please.

The glue I use for handles has doubled in the last couple of years. Steel is up as we all know and here is the kicker I think for anybody ordering materials. Not only has the materials gone up (my leather about $1.50 a sq ft) but the shipping to get said supplies to me has doubled. Especially for anything heavy like a box of brass for bolsters, or a side of leather. So a sheet of steel that last year I paid $35-$40 for is now $45-$50, (free shipping and I have absolutely no idea how they do that!). These are just a few examples that affect us daily. Inflation is a thing and it affects everyone whether we like it or not.
The rest of your post resonates with me, but this bit especially, as I'm in Canada.

Cost of raw material has gone up, hardware has gone up, carbide tooling costs (and abrasives!) have gone up, but shipping is particularly vexing as the less volume I order, the more it costs me in shipping per unit. Some companies started charging ridiculous amounts for shipping during the height of Covid, and never reverted to normal pricing, so I've also had to reduce the frequency with which I order, or stop ordering from them entirely. Not that I blame them.

SE Chaparral
I love my birdseye Chaparral. I did some quick searching, not sure what the "SE" is?

Yeah I've cut back as prices have gone up. I just can't justify "wants" as much, They have to _really_ speak to me. Though, I did grab a new GEC today. I figure 2-4 a year is reasonable if I feel up to it. Also life is going on other directions and money is important. Pushes me more to do my own things more and more.

I love my birdseye Chaparral. I did some quick searching, not sure what the "SE" is?

Yeah I've cut back as prices have gone up. I just can't justify "wants" as much, They have to _really_ speak to me. Though, I did grab a new GEC today. I figure 2-4 a year is reasonable if I feel up to it. Also life is going on other directions and money is important. Pushes me more to do my own things more and more.

SE is for serrated edge, to be released later this year hopefully. My favorite sub 3" folder that feels in use kinda like a full sized one.

I`m so glad I got through every "phase" of this hobby before all that stuff after 2019 happened. I`m pretty content right now. Here and there I do regret selling all my Terzuolas for example, or my Randall collection, but it is what it is. New steels don`t excite me, new models mostly are nice but theres nothing out there that I feel I have to have. I keep buying the same knives over and over again for the last 15 years. Buying and selling them because I think I need to have the new stuff. But no more. I`m gonna stick with the old faithfuls. Been carrying a Sebenza 21 Large since 2014, a Military, a 940, and a Delica is always present.

The crucarta PM2 is nice but it`s 220€. I remember when the standart classic PM2 was the best knife you could buy for 100 bucks.

I`m so glad I got through every "phase" of this hobby before all that stuff after 2019 happened. I`m pretty content right now. Here and there I do regret selling all my Terzuolas for example, or my Randall collection, but it is what it is. New steels don`t excite me, new models mostly are nice but theres nothing out there that I feel I have to have. I keep buying the same knives over and over again for the last 15 years. Buying and selling them because I think I need to have the new stuff. But no more. I`m gonna stick with the old faithfuls. Been carrying a Sebenza 21 Large since 2014, a Military, a 940, and a Delica is always present.

The crucarta PM2 is nice but it`s 220€. I remember when the standart classic PM2 was the best knife you could buy for 100 bucks.
Yeah I remember I paid $115 for my digicamo S30V PM2 back in 2014. Of course now it has burlap micarta scales, black screws, and an MXG deep carry clip.

I've decided to buy another high end knife, perhaps iMamba, but am going to wait until June when I get back from Colorado. I worry it won't get here before I leave next Friday. Plus, I'll be able to afford the damasteel version.

I'm also looking at a Jason Clark custom.

For some odd reason, prices of Cold Steel in Europe went down.

So this is how it is:
I'd buy Recon Tanto for 55€, but I have one already....
I sold my Fallkniven F1 and bought SRK-C for 38€ and spent part of remaining money on custom kydex sheath.
I got Recon1 Tanto for my birthday (one of the best gifts I ever got).

So, I got the SRK-C months ago... and IDK.
I don't think it's all on prices. I really like and I really use what I got. And it makes me feel sorry to spend. Nice knives are usually so expensive that I usually just go "nope, not worth it". And when it comes to affordable knives, I usually already have that same knife or even better knife.

The key thing is that I already have way more than what I need. So I have no real reason to want another knife.

Maybe new powder steel?
- I thought about MagnaCut and realized "Why?"
I have K390, S390, CPM-3V and CPM-S35VN... And there wasn't one ocassion when I was like "Man, if only I had MagnaCut". As these steels are perfectly capable... heck... even my SK5 and 1095 are capable. These powder steels that I have are massive overkill.

So I don't want or need to buy more knives. Especially at these prices.

Reactions: 353
Is anyone still buying knives this year? I'm dying to know this year's pocket knife sales figures compared to the last couple.
I scroll through "New Arrivals" on a few distributors pages everyday just to see what's what and always end up see something new that looks really interesting or something I'd like to own, but I just can't see myself paying the money they're charging for knives right now. The new WE Nitro OG is $315!!!!!! Benchmade's new little plastic water knife is $230! The Para 3 is $200...... That's just crazy to me. I've been collecting for years and years, and prices always go up. I get that. But this year it's really irritating me. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of or something. IDK. I but I can't seem to click that "Add to Cart" no matter how much I feel like I want it.

Time to switch to Fixed blades and try out our makers. Amazing value.

Is anyone still buying knives this year? I'm dying to know this year's pocket knife sales figures compared to the last couple.
I scroll through "New Arrivals" on a few distributors pages everyday just to see what's what and always end up see something new that looks really interesting or something I'd like to own, but I just can't see myself paying the money they're charging for knives right now. The new WE Nitro OG is $315!!!!!! Benchmade's new little plastic water knife is $230! The Para 3 is $200...... That's just crazy to me. I've been collecting for years and years, and prices always go up. I get that. But this year it's really irritating me. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of or something. IDK. I but I can't seem to click that "Add to Cart" no matter how much I feel like I want it.

As many have stated prices are up over the whole line and of course people are more cautious with the $.

I feel lucky cause I'm pretty set n happy with all the knives I have. For me to see something I "need" is veeery rare these days and I scroll through everyones latest etc here almost daily.

All that said if another unicorn comes along I'm not gonna be stopped by a 20-30% price increase, I'd be happy to have found another "in my eyes gem". 🤓🤣

Due to the rising costs, I’ve only purchased one new knife this year. To compensate, I’ve dipped into my safe queen stash and am now carrying and enjoying knives that used to be off-limits. Additionally, I’ve successfully delved into the secondary (used) market for the more expensive items that are above my meager new knife budget: primarily financed thru my own secondary market sales. Apparently the market has spoken and I no longer speak the language.🙃

Last edited:
Reactions: 353
I just remember what seems like just a few years ago buying a Benchmade Griptillian brand new in 154CM for like $85 and thinking it was expensive. Now the same knife has a suggested retail of $160, street price $145. Granted they have upgraded the steel to S30v, and I get it about inflation and all, but I still say if they could sell the same knife with a 440A or 420HC blade with a decent heat treat and sell them bad boys for about $75-$80, I would be on them like fire ants on a twinkie! But $160 after shipping and taxes for a griptillain? No thanks, I have 3 at home and don't need any more that bad :confused:
In fact, to be honest I think my Benchmade buying days are about over looking at the prices they are charging these days.

In fact, to be honest I think my Benchmade buying days are about over looking at the prices they are charging these days.
Check out the new Adiras before you leave. I bought one yesterday at a traditional brick and mortar store. It a large folder, about the size of the Adamas, with good ergonomics, nice steel, and very light weight. Be warned though, the cardboard packaging for this knife has left the reservation and is huge. Expect to receive a box that is more than 4x the size of the usual Benchmade folder box.

N2s

Back