New Becker Patrol Pack?

I wonder about my wisdom purchasing this pack. I'm sure it's a great pack, but doubt it's as comfortable as my Gregory. Cooler, with better organization perhaps, but very doubtful comfort wise. I need to sell some stuff too.

I wonder about my wisdom purchasing this pack. I'm sure it's a great pack, but doubt it's as comfortable as my Gregory. Cooler, with better organization perhaps, but very doubtful comfort wise. I need to sell some stuff too.
I honestly have no real use for it. I have more packs than fingers and toes, and all of my potential uses covered. It was a “want” purchase not a “need”, but I promised myself a treat if I hit the 5 year survival mark. I’m a couple months early, but if I can take the new BPP on a couple of hikes with my family it will be worth it. I will sell enough stuff to cover it, and in the end I will have a pack that I’ve wanted for a long time and hopefully will have passed along a handful of things I don’t use.

Got it.
Nice bag.
Side pockets will just barely hold a 40 oz double wall hydroflask.
Length is good - as it arrived and unloaded, i can put it on and buckle the belt with the lumbar pad in a good location.
How tall are you?

I took an Eagle, woodland camo pack to our 10,000' local summit in '19. Very similar to an OD BPP of mine that might have gone that day. The Eagle was stuffed like I was trekking to base camp for an Everest assault. All it served to do was punish me all day long. But people get lost up there, you never know.

by reports, the new BPP is BIGGER than the older large model. that's almost TOO big.

50lbs+ of ruck? that's a lot of water, beans, and bullets.

by reports, the new BPP is BIGGER than the older large model. that's almost TOO big.

That was a concern of mine as well. Seems like it would be wider than I am. Curtis said,"Bigger than the original, but not as big as the large." Stole Curtis' photo, hopefuly he won't mind:

it's not.
and my standard loadout with my blackhawk PP was 50# -- which is what E told me he based the original on as well when we were talking about them several years back.

The designer/manufacturer has had a lot of feedback from E on the prototypes and the final product -- and I've heard E has been using it as his day pack since SHOT show.
(he had dinner with CutShaw this week and had it with him then - so CutShaw got to try it on with a partial load in it)

per the maker:
"I have an original Eagle BPP and the width and height on the new pack are pretty much the same. Height might be a tad taller...maybe an inch. The depth front-to-back is right at 1 1/2" more to get 5 rows of PALS columns along the sides vs. 4 and to give the interior just a wee bit of extra interior room. The guys I talked to (SF, SEALs, PJs, bushcrafters who actually go out into the bush, etc.) and those who tested the prototypes all said that the newly incorporated sewn-in side cinch straps make it so it can be tightened down to reduce the footprint of depth front-to-back and that it's sure nice having that tiny bit of extra room. The testers down in the Amazon said "the size is perfect, don't change it." Anyhow, what makes it bigger are the bigger outside pouches. The original side pouches were okay, but I sized them up a bit to better accommodate today's taller water bottles and such. A Hydrapak Flux 1.5 liter or two Aquafina 1-liter bottles fit in there fine. The taller, slimmer 1-liter Smartwater bottles fit also but they are pushing the height limit. The front pouches were sized for empty 30 rd MagPul magazines and to make it accept a lot of popular hammocks and tarps.
This is after measuring several Mk IIs and comparing them against my original Eagle small. (Total Capacity is right at 41.2L including outside pouches.) I went over the size with Ethan prior to production and received his approval and just talked to him about it again and he says as far as he's concerned having carried the Mk II around a fair bit and traveled with it now, it's about perfect."

Some good info, thanks, I did notice in Curtis' photo that the new pack seemed to be filled, versus the old one.

Does anyone have any idea how well this might fit a smaller person? Asking for a friend! ;)

Back