THE Hollow Handle Knife Thread

I now have my knife and will try to answer my own questions I asked in this thread on 3rd May.

Firstly, the sawteeth on Greg Wall’s Sly II are very functional, forward facing and sharp. One unexpected outcome I found with these came up when I fed my dogs. I was in the habit of feeding them an ox heart each night on a regular basis. I would stick my knife in the heart to move it to my cutting board to chop it up. On Greg’s knife, once those sawteeth made contact with the heart I had no fears about dropping the heart on the floor. Those sawteeth acted like grappling hooks and held the heart firmly. This is probably not a design function originally considered for sawteeth but what the heck it works admirably.

Secondly, I partially see why Greg’s First Blood knife is so strong. The tang appears to be relatively long. I love kukries from Nepal and these mostly rely on a stick tang but are fine strong chopping tools. Greg’s knife probably behaves similarly. The only problem with this is that the space in the handle is reduced. As well, Greg’s design is overall much thicker than something like the Hollywood Collectibles replica. There is a good youtube video comparing the two that illustrates this. I am willing to bet there are other reasons that add to its strength but I have no idea of what they might be.

As to my final question, I haven’t found a definitive answer. From what I can work out, the Sly II version has been around for a long time and maybe right from the time of the movie but I couldn’t work out if it was an original Jimmy Lile design modification or was a modification by someone else - but I like it.

There were two things that surprised me once I got to handle this knife. First, I was amazed at how light it is. Second, until I handled this one I never realised how dagger like the design is especially when compared to a classical Bowie.

I now have my knife and will try to answer my own questions I asked in this thread on 3rd May.

Firstly, the sawteeth on Greg Wall’s Sly II are very functional, forward facing and sharp. One unexpected outcome I found with these came up when I fed my dogs. I was in the habit of feeding them an ox heart each night on a regular basis. I would stick my knife in the heart to move it to my cutting board to chop it up. On Greg’s knife, once those sawteeth made contact with the heart I had no fears about dropping the heart on the floor. Those sawteeth acted like grappling hooks and held the heart firmly. This is probably not a design function originally considered for sawteeth but what the heck it works admirably.

Secondly, I partially see why Greg’s First Blood knife is so strong. The tang appears to be relatively long. I love kukries from Nepal and these mostly rely on a stick tang but are fine strong chopping tools. Greg’s knife probably behaves similarly. The only problem with this is that the space in the handle is reduced. As well, Greg’s design is overall much thicker than something like the Hollywood Collectibles replica. There is a good youtube video comparing the two that illustrates this. I am willing to bet there are other reasons that add to its strength but I have no idea of what they might be.

As to my final question, I haven’t found a definitive answer. From what I can work out, the Sly II version has been around for a long time and maybe right from the time of the movie but I couldn’t work out if it was an original Jimmy Lile design modification or was a modification by someone else - but I like it.

There were two things that surprised me once I got to handle this knife. First, I was amazed at how light it is. Second, until I handled this one I never realised how dagger like the design is especially when compared to a classical Bowie.
Greg wall uses aluminum for his handles. It's a shame all that steel he wastes making that junk. You guys keep buying his hack work with soder all over the guard because he can't properly fit a guard, and the list goes on. I'd rather one good knife than all those junks he calls tributes. You get what you pay for

Wow, you really are out to do a hatchet job on Greg Wall aren’t you. Let’s see - “ junk” ( used a couple of times), “shame”, “hack work”, “steel he wastes”, “solder all over the guard”, “can’t properly fit a guard” etc. Before buying this knife I did check out all reviews and strangely didn’t find any negative reviews of Greg Wall’s knife but did see positive reviews. There are many opinions about the First Blood design and there is general consensus that it is not the greatest design for a survival knife and there are many better examples around of great survival knives. I think we can all agree on that but that is not the only reason some of us buy a First Blood knife and I would think you would be aware of that. As for your woeful exaggeration with Greg’s knife of solder all over the guard, well, believe it or not, the solder on mine is quite neat and is definitely not all over the guard. You also seem concerned about the aluminium handle. I know of one very esteemed knife design where there is at least one example of a military knife that has an aluminium handle and a stick tang, though the vast majority of this type of knife have a handle made of a very inferior material - wood. Of course I am referring to the Nepalese Kukri. By the way, if you run a magnet along the handle of Greg’s knife there is steel running a fair way along that handle. Could this possibly be a stick tang like on a kukri? I do look forward to you doing a full review of Greg Wall’s First Blood knife including a field test - but please, leave out the emotive words and stick to facts backed up with photographs. I would then be able to work out if I “got what I paid for”. As mentioned in my thread of May 3rd, I picked up my Wall knife for a good price. I for instance just worked out that if I bought the lower priced version of the present day Lile First blood knife I would have to pay 6 to 7 times what I paid for my Greg Wall knife (once import duties and delivery to Australia are included).

Last edited:
A few more of the SSII Elite. This one was a more popular than I anticipated.

doHjw8c.jpeg

3pui9p0.jpeg

Sam😎👍👍

A few more of the SSII Elite. This one was a more popular than I anticipated.

doHjw8c.jpeg

3pui9p0.jpeg

Sam😎👍👍
Yeah definitely like the look of that knife Sam. Something about it. Glad you took our advice about leaving the grinds not gun coated. I got a batch of ls1's almost finished up so keep an eye out on my Instagram buddy. Looking great Sam keep it up! Can't wait to see the diablomachete lol

Wow, you really are out to do a hatchet job on Greg Wall aren’t you. Let’s see - “ junk” ( used a couple of times), “shame”, “hack work”, “steel he wastes”, “solder all over the guard”, “can’t properly fit a guard” etc. Before buying this knife I did check out all reviews and strangely didn’t find any negative reviews of Greg Wall’s knife but did see positive reviews. There are many opinions about the First Blood design and there is general consensus that it is not the greatest design for a survival knife and there are many better examples around of great survival knives. I think we can all agree on that but that is not the only reason some of us buy a First Blood knife and I would think you would be aware of that. As for your woeful exaggeration with Greg’s knife of solder all over the guard, well, believe it or not, the solder on mine is quite neat and is definitely not all over the guard. You also seem concerned about the aluminium handle. I know of one very esteemed knife design where there is at least one example of a military knife that has an aluminium handle and a stick tang, though the vast majority of this type of knife have a handle made of a very inferior material - wood. Of course I am referring to the Nepalese Kukri. By the way, if you run a magnet along the handle of Greg’s knife there is steel running a fair way along that handle. Could this possibly be a stick tang like on a kukri? I do look forward to you doing a full review of Greg Wall’s First Blood knife including a field test - but please, leave out the emotive words and stick to facts backed up with photographs. I would then be able to work out if I “got what I paid for”. As mentioned in my thread of May 3rd, I picked up my Wall knife for a good price. I for instance just worked out that if I bought the lower priced version of the present day Lile First blood knife I would have to pay 6 to 7 times what I paid for my Greg Wall knife (once import duties and delivery to Australia are included).
Sorry I offended you, I'd love to go a review but unfortunately I'm just to busy at the present time making quality high end hollow handle knives. And a quality knife handmade the way Sam or myself makes them will never and has never broken. If a maker chooses to use aluminum and brass well we know why as machinist, it's because it's easy and cheap to machine. Sorry I offended you, I just think If you grind knives for years you should be able to make a symmetrical knife with smooth plunge lines, guards WITHOUT soder and take some pride in your work... but everyone's different.

Got this Boker yesterday and like it a lot.
Saturday I have a Randall model 18 5.5” coming

I think boker did a really good job and listened to Newt Martin ( may my friend rest in piece) and built the apparo the way Newt wanted it to be made. For the $180 dollars or whatever the apparo costs now is probably THE best production hollow handle knife being sold since 2013. That knife will give you many years of great service. I had one of the first 3 knives in my hand off of bokers run of them and I couldn't break it and really put it through its paces. Not intentionally trying to break it or be stupid doing things a knife isn't meant to do but really gave it a workout for 3 months everyday and remained perfect!

where can I find the plastic tube handle insert to hold stuff?
Honestly, unless you're certain your hollow handle knife is leaking, I see no real advantage of using a separate tube insert. All the tube does is take up usable space inside the handle. Without the tube, you can usually add a couple of extra matches or a slightly larger diameter firesteel, or something else of value. That said, search for "medical plastic tube with lid" and you might find what you're looking for.

Alright, alright. How 'bout a picture of a hollow handle crammed to the rim, and a second picture showing everything that was inside, laid out neatly on a clean surface? Will appreciate the effort, thanks.

Alright, alright. How 'bout a picture of a hollow handle crammed to the rim, and a second picture showing everything that was inside, laid out neatly on a clean surface? Will appreciate the effort, thanks.
Who are you asking? And which model? They all differ greatly, there are advantages and disadvantages to all but they are mostly all great knives.

I'm curious as to what "possibles" should go into your knife handle, so I guess it's a personal question.
Here's what's in mine
A survival cartridge with a Leatherman Micra, a diamond hone, a flash light, needles, hooks, synthetic sinew, a magnesium ferric fire starter rod and a Readyman survival card with snare locks, fish gig, arrow head, spinners, hooks and needles. They also hold an extra round for your 1911 .45.
They go into both the Bowie and the Ulu/Hatchet. As I said, there are many very good HHKs out there and they all have their advantages and disadvantages. Mine is not for everybody but I like it.
DSCF2475-XL.jpg

DSCF2469-XL.jpg

THE FIRST I EVER SAW something(s) like that. But tell me, the handles are milled steel, not butchered from an actual 1911, right?

Back