What was your first Becker and when did you get it?

I just bought my first Becker knives last week!

New member, first post.

I grew up on a red pear farm at 2200 feet elevation in eastern WA state. I fished and hiked and had a small knife and sword collection, but sold them all and transitioned to other hobbies in my later teen years. That was roughly twenty-five years ago. I’ve been using a Kershaw Leek for work and daily carry for about the last five years.

A few weeks ago I started thinking about all the old timers I knew who were attached to their Buck and Randall knives, and started wondering if maybe I was missing-out on something. I had no need for a fixed-blade knife, but after doing some research, found myself just WANTING one.

I consider knives luxury items, so I wasn’t about to buy something made in Asia. (I’m the same way about shoes, wristwatches, glassware, etc) I have to say, the research was really fun, and after two weeks, I had decided to grab a Becker BK16 and BK3. I figured between the two I’d be fairly set for any hypothetical eventuality.

Well, they arrived last week and I have to say I’m really impressed! They feel like a solid US-made value and I’m already weirdly sentimental about the BK16. The blade thickness on both seem very appropriate, as well as the handle shape and material. I convexed the edge of the BK16 using fine and extra-fine sanding sponges, a cotton wheel buff, and a quick hone with our Wusthof kitchen knife steel. It now slices paper like no one’s business! I also really appreciate that primary full-grind edge geometry. The BK3 is just a really impressive tool, and I plan to keep it in my car bag with dry socks, Excedrin Migraine, and other emergency items.

So, all that to say, Ethan Becker is The Man, and all you guys here on the forum have already helped me out quite a bit, even though you didn’t know it. Thanks!

-NWFRS in western WA state.
Welcome to the forum. Mighty fine bunch of people on BK&T forum. Now there is a saying around here. You cannot not have a 9. The King got its name for a reason. Great choices for your first Becker purchases Brotha

Tanker 1/66 Tanker 1/66 … Thanks!
I wish I could collect them all! I’m amazed at the enthusiasm surrounding Mr Becker’s designs, but now that I have a few in-hand, I can understand it. I didn’t know anything about the man or the company just two weeks ago. I’ve enjoyed reading about all the variants that have been made by different companies. I’ll probably just chill for a while and see what utility I can find for these two. The BK9 is incredible but I have to do some real mental gymnastics to imagine a situation I might use it in. :D

The Warrior The Warrior … Oh absolutely!
It’s a personal problem on my part. I’ve become super domesticated in recent years. Used to do backpacking trips into the North Cascades every few weeks in my youth, but I haven’t done that in ten years at least. Got married and gave away all my camping gear to coworkers while it was still relevant. (Everything was so heavy twenty years ago!) I’m afraid if I picked up a BK9 it would just sit and never get used, but if you guys keep pitching cool pics of them, maybe I’ll have to buy one in the end anyway. They’re sure cool! :D

BK2 probably over 10 years ago. Original no. S
I went back through some historical threads last night and made some discoveries. I bought my first Becker back in 2003 (Feb/Mar), a Brute BK-1. It didn't take me long and I had a BK-9 Combat Bowie in my possession that spring as well!

I was sliding down a slippery slope fast! I quickly purchases more Beckers and continue to pick them up as I find something about another model that intrigues me.

So what was your first Becker and when did you get it?

Thanks!
Skelletonzed roll stamped version. I put SS hardware and blue scales but have still never really gotten into it. It’s the one I don’t really use

I just bought my first Becker knives last week!

New member, first post.

I grew up on a red pear farm at 2200 feet elevation in eastern WA state. I fished and hiked and had a small knife and sword collection, but sold them all and transitioned to other hobbies in my later teen years. That was roughly twenty-five years ago. I’ve been using a Kershaw Leek for work and daily carry for about the last five years.

A few weeks ago I started thinking about all the old timers I knew who were attached to their Buck and Randall knives, and started wondering if maybe I was missing-out on something. I had no need for a fixed-blade knife, but after doing some research, found myself just WANTING one.

I consider knives luxury items, so I wasn’t about to buy something made in Asia. (I’m the same way about shoes, wristwatches, glassware, etc) I have to say, the research was really fun, and after two weeks, I had decided to grab a Becker BK16 and BK3. I figured between the two I’d be fairly set for any hypothetical eventuality.

Well, they arrived last week and I have to say I’m really impressed! They feel like a solid US-made value and I’m already weirdly sentimental about the BK16. The blade thickness on both seem very appropriate, as well as the handle shape and material. I convexed the edge of the BK16 using fine and extra-fine sanding sponges, a cotton wheel buff, and a quick hone with our Wusthof kitchen knife steel. It now slices paper like no one’s business! I also really appreciate that primary full-grind edge geometry. The BK3 is just a really impressive tool, and I plan to keep it in my car bag with dry socks, Excedrin Migraine, and other emergency items.

So, all that to say, Ethan Becker is The Man, and all you guys here on the forum have already helped me out quite a bit, even though you didn’t know it. Thanks!

-NWFRS in western WA state.

Congrats on the new blades! And welcome to the forums. The 16 will make a good all purpose knife for you, I've never owned a 3, I went with a 9 for my bigger heavy duty Becker. Glad to have you, you'll find some good folks around here.

Gratuitous knife content ... the 5 and 15 may be my favorites ... but the 9 is king.
20180809_083032_resized.jpg
20181118_131110_resized(1).jpg

The Warrior The Warrior … Oh absolutely!
It’s a personal problem on my part. I’ve become super domesticated in recent years. Used to do backpacking trips into the North Cascades every few weeks in my youth, but I haven’t done that in ten years at least. Got married and gave away all my camping gear to coworkers while it was still relevant. (Everything was so heavy twenty years ago!) I’m afraid if I picked up a BK9 it would just sit and never get used, but if you guys keep pitching cool pics of them, maybe I’ll have to buy one in the end anyway. They’re sure cool! :D
I hear ya. The wife and I used to go hiking, and camping quite a bit. Then, about 7 1/2 years ago, I bought a cabin in the Ozark Mountains of Missouri. We prefer to go there now, and that's where I use my blades 99% of the time.

Another photo to tempt ya, haha. One of my many 3D creations:

I hear ya. The wife and I used to go hiking, and camping quite a bit. Then, about 7 1/2 years ago, I bought a cabin in the Ozark Mountains of Missouri. We prefer to go there now, and that's where I use my blades 99% of the time.

Another photo to tempt ya, haha. One of my many 3D creations:

That picture makes the swage look like a Bk9HH. Cool picture Dubz

Tanker 1/66 Tanker 1/66 i saw where you snatched up that MBT. I was just about to grab it myself! Lol. I have the MBT in curved and flat bow, and I think I like the flat bow one a little better!

Tanker 1/66 Tanker 1/66 i saw where you snatched up that MBT. I was just about to grab it myself! Lol. I have the MBT in curved and flat bow, and I think I like the flat bow one a little better!
Yeah I have the FB in my 450 Bushmaster Love it. It wasn’t even about the price it’s the lead time once you order one. I waited 2 months last time from LaRue.

Tanker 1/66 Tanker 1/66
The Warrior The Warrior

Well thanks a lot. Now I really am looking at those BK9! Completely impractical for my lifestyle, but literally just an “awesome” tool. I ended up ordering another 16 and an 11. Built a few prop knives for the 16 and have been experimenting with sheath designs. What great little knives! The BK16 really speaks to me.

Tanker 1/66 Tanker 1/66
The Warrior The Warrior

Well thanks a lot. Now I really am looking at those BK9! Completely impractical for my lifestyle, but literally just an “awesome” tool. I ended up ordering another 16 and an 11. Built a few prop knives for the 16 and have been experimenting with sheath designs. What great little knives! The BK16 really speaks to me.
I’m here for ya like that lol

Tanker 1/66 Tanker 1/66
The Warrior The Warrior

You are welcome, haha. As the saying goes around here, "You can't not have a 9". :thumbsup:

Back