4.1 thread

I could see myself liking the blade of the 4.1 slightly more, but I'm worried I won't like the handle length. I really like the handle length of the 4.7, even compared to the 5.

The specs say that the 4.1 handle is shorter, but what I really notice is that it feels slimmer with slightly less positive engagement on the pinky.
When clenched tightly in my fist only the index finger touches my palm.
The circumference of the 4.1 is about a quarter of an inch less than that of the 4.7.
With a slightly smaller hand than mine it might not make much difference.
My 4.1 has textured G10 and the 4.7 has canvas. The G10 is somewhat rougher feeling.

What Fancier said.

The 4.1 engages mostly your fingers in full grip, but he 4.7 locks into your fingers and palm.

Received the 4.1 D3V 2nd today.
Attempting to post a picture, please forgive the image quality my phone is getting pretty old.
https://goo.gl/photos/AdC97hvrzYq5jack9
They are in order left to right:
2.7 with red and black G10
Old Spec 3.5 with green micarta
4.1 D3V with camo G10
4.7 CFV with black canvas
4.7 20CV with camo canvas
5.1 20CV with brown canvas

The 4.1 handle feels really good, but not quite as hand filling as the 4.7.
Comparing them side by side I can't see much difference, the two handles are really similar other than the arched back and a bit of flare on the butt of the 4.7.
Notice how scrawny the old spec 3.5 handle appears compared to all the new spec knives.

Congrats man! That's a nice group of knives and that 4.1 looks great.

Received the 4.1 D3V 2nd today.
Attempting to post a picture, please forgive the image quality my phone is getting pretty old.
https://goo.gl/photos/AdC97hvrzYq5jack9
They are in order left to right:
2.7 with red and black G10
Old Spec 3.5 with green micarta
4.1 D3V with camo G10
4.7 CFV with black canvas
4.7 20CV with camo canvas
5.1 20CV with brown canvas

The 4.1 handle feels really good, but not quite as hand filling as the 4.7.
Comparing them side by side I can't see much difference, the two handles are really similar other than the arched back and a bit of flare on the butt of the 4.7.
Notice how scrawny the old spec 3.5 handle appears compared to all the new spec knives.

Nice Fancier! Glad to see some of the D3V 4.1's being shipped.

I could see myself liking the blade of the 4.1 slightly more, but I'm worried I won't like the handle length. I really like the handle length of the 4.7, even compared to the 5.

The new 4.1 handle isn't much shorter than the 4.7, I much prefer it to the old spec 5 (always felt cramped in my hand.) I might actually prefer the 4.1 to the 4.7 as it feels slightly more "open" when you hold it, doesn't lock your index into the pocket as much. Some comparison pics for you-

4.7 v.s. 4.1

Thanks to all for your thoughts on the handles.

kurpak, you get bonus points for taking the time to post in-hand pics. Thank you! The pics are really helpful :thumbup:

4.1 was supposed to get here yesterday. I just checked the tracking (afternoon of 03/14)...

uspssk.jpg

:(

^^Not sure how long you have been waiting, LarsL, but the last 24 hours are pure torture!!!

4.1 was supposed to get here yesterday. I just checked the tracking (afternoon of 03/14)...

uspssk.jpg

:(

Just checked it and there is some movement again. Phew!

I am going to update our shipping system to remove SURVIVE! LLC from the shipping address. Instead I think we will go with, "Not a high quality cutting tool" :D

I am going to update our shipping system to remove SURVIVE! LLC from the shipping address. Instead I think we will go with, "Not a high quality cutting tool" :D

There is something poetic about "Awaiting Fulfillment No Longer". :p

:D

I was glad to see that it finally arrived at my post office this morning. Maybe tomorrow morning they can move it another 10 feet and put it in my PO Box there (three days behind schedule). ;)

Haha! :D

You need a cheap, cheesy sounding pseudonym. I'd hate for anyone's knife-filled packages to get ambushed while on their way to their destination!

:D

I was glad to see that it finally arrived at my post office this morning. Maybe tomorrow morning they can move it another 10 feet and put it in my PO Box there (three days behind schedule). ;)
Great news!!!

My factory 2nd 4.1 in D3V arrived on Monday. I didn't get home until late last night, then off to work again this morning. So I've had only a little time to look it over. I'd really like to know what qualifies a blade as a factory 2nd. Looks perfect to me. [emoji106]

Last edited:
Back