Adventures in monkeying around with knives

So I'm the kind of person who just cannot leave anything I am interested in stock, I feel a need to at least input a little of myself into each and everything. With firearms I have managed to gain some good skills and can really dig into making them my own, but when I got back into knives lately I really didn't want to have to go back to finding outside help. So I looked into refinishing, since I just don't have the know how to work on the actual mechanical bits of a knife. I used to have Matt at TiSpectrum do some awesome anodizing for me but this time around I just bought all the gear to give it a try myself.

Thanks to some great info online and especially some videos from Ferrum Forge, I have been really getting into learning the voltages and especially the metal prep to get some cool looks. Here are some of my first attempts.

mjCWXBx.jpg

SZcdFpF.jpg

XCtckV5.jpg

DNVq24C.jpg

Z6spf79.jpg

uyn57FA.jpg

Redid my MBK Slayback. After stripping the old, I laid a base layer of high voltage blue.

khJBbxJ.jpg

After that I went back and tumbled the scale and clip, followed by polishing some parts before laying some bronze over everything. I probably should have left the bits in the tumbler for a bit more, since the bronze didn't pop as much on the scales.

dPiUFvh.jpg

I1750MZ.jpg

vRWtKhS.jpg

Never really liked the electric blue on my Ohio River so I stripped it off, stone washed it and then laid some purple. More my style now.

90JE0r7.jpg

eGMFbAd.jpg

Ot79CAi.jpg

Also spent some time on my Chavez. First I laid down a blue.

PxymkGG.jpg

Then I stone washed it to just open up so areas for another layer of color.

VpBP0nX.jpg

Then I laid some bronze over the top to give it a deeper, but muted blue. Also in the direct sunlight you get a nice shimmer effect.

JW3MtQm.jpg

agvAyzi.jpg

IrbS7Je.jpg

Spent today messing around with surface finishes and colors on Civivi's Ti clips. Still trying to find the best look for Jade G10 scales:

1KQfKIp.jpg

Also did the furniture/hardware for my Ultratech:

za0Rp1V.jpg

So I bought one of the new Knife Center Exclusive CJRB Ekkos in micarta and Ti, but I have to say I wasn't super impressed. Love the blade and design from Laconico, and once the blade is locked open it is nice and tight, but when the blade is closed it really doesn't feel as solid as my Civivi Elementum II. So I decided it would make a good Mother's Day gift for a friend of mine who is all about purple. Stripped it down to color and found they actually inset a steel plate on the titanium bolsters for no reason I can think of since it has stainless liners for the bearings. Had to tape that off, but did manage to add some color.

se5f3Uq.jpg

qng6qFV.jpg

knjYM4m.jpg

I also did some coloring on parts for two knives coming in this week. But I'll post them when they are completed.

Very impressive my friend! Ive been wanting to try out anadizing myself. What is the power supply that you use? I believe I'm going to invest in some equipment myself. Thanks in advance!
-Travis

Very impressive my friend! Ive been wanting to try out anadizing myself. What is the power supply that you use? I believe I'm going to invest in some equipment myself. Thanks in advance!
-Travis

Thanks, I am using a Kungber that is adjustable up to 110V. Seems to be doing OK, with everything else being the same (surface finish, material itself etc) the voltages seem to hold.

Just a quick bit of work:

Kl5Wefh.jpg

yADgk19.jpg

And these two are OKC's I got to give away as gifts, but I think I am going to have to redo them, because the show side is ODG G10:

x7x5A5W.jpg

Back