Adventures in monkeying around with knives

So my Kahless Custom Metalworks scales and thumb disc came in, with the Ti hardware from EKI and xxxadrenalinxxx, clip from Lynch NW.

Start:

jKcoVi5.jpg

VUabZ4k.jpg

LN1qyj0.jpg

Finished:

vBfaMdM.jpg

40TikoW.jpg

mysOBPW.jpg

F5897lq.jpg

I think I may need to pull the clip, I like it a bit better without any clip at all.

Finally got around to putting a few knives back together. First up is a Midtech Bean from Serge Panchenko. The stone wash he uses is super "thick" so colors turn out almost marbled looking.

Start:

csXhm9L.jpg

cKDIbKd.jpg

YgLoz73.jpg

Finished:

K6gSvKQ.jpg

apblcBn.jpg

Qk3qMM2.jpg

Really dig this little knife. Gonna need to get a few more if I can find them.

This new Monterey Bay Knives EZC Button Lock is really awesome. I really wish I had gotten two, but we will see what they put out next with this button lock. The finish on MBK knives is really textured, and that does seem to affect the finished look. In this case the scales came out a good green, but there was a like swirls of blue throughout. I like the look but I don't think I could do it again. Also the rear scale has a steel insert for the button lock you need to mask off before anodizing.

Start:

I67SQRC.jpg

MhEZhqo.jpg

fgWXH5x.jpg

Finish:

OGoauAL.jpg

epsgGjr.jpg

yyrKSpO.jpg

7ivkVJo.jpg

Finally got around to another Chavez. I must say the flipping action is great with the Kickstop, but I think I like the thumb studs better myself. The two colors I used don't pop as well as I would have liked, might need to redo it in the future.

Start:

5Q6H1JF.jpg

JzMfCcd.jpg

f3olzJf.jpg

hkpCj4o.jpg

Finish:

7gbtYnW.jpg

BoqIFJM.jpg

gBB2Fbb.jpg

Took sometime to finish up my two Chaves TAKs. Really wanted to set the liner and clips off from the micarta panels. I need to find a good way to permanently darken the micarta the color looks so much better when they are wet and darkened.

Start

BoH5o6C.jpg

ezWFsFT.jpg

RZmYqAY.jpg

Finish

ZvJcCb8.jpg

n28Nr0Z.jpg

IkwSFJh.jpg

rPJAUdd.jpg

Finished up the Kizer Yorkie. Must say the design is great, the size is pretty perfect and I just dig speed holes. But, the flipping action is terrible on this. Replaced the bearings with Skiffs and the thing still doesn't really flip.

Start:

zeCMo4s.jpg

jvGbMPG.jpg

Finish:

CLPLrxC.jpg

vQJLNvI.jpg

vece46s.jpg

I really like micarta, but a lot of it comes in pretty light in color. I know with use it darkens up nicely, but I really like the look of used micarta and if you oil them they come out looking good. But, I wanted to have it look wet but without the slickness.

I started using this stuff we use to bring out the grain in wood. It seems to be a good product since it soaks in, and doesn't remain as slick

Start:

t9ESisR.jpg

After:

BIkrztM.jpg

Got to my XLS, really surprised by how light weight this is. Still like the sorta wonky looking blade shape, but the XLS is sorta big in form factor for me.

GH1uIk1.jpg

QZQSAR7.jpg

Fca5cgU.jpg

DGOiFOF.jpg

This new Trope from Serge Panchenko is pretty cool. Really like how boxy and heavy it feels, but it really melts into your hand anyway. Add some color and some Skiff bearings and it is a great knife for like $150.

Start:

5gBxa2k.jpg

uypB4CH.jpg

9dRLUXQ.jpg

Finish:

S30mEp0.jpg

TdwIg5h.jpg

uJU3xxd.jpg

I haven't been spending too much time on my knives of late, but I have managed to get some stuff finished up. Here is the Mini A100. I found the G10 scales to be super aggressive, like all Emersons, so I just sanded them down and shined them up. Ti parts from Emerson and xxxadrenalinxxx.

Start:

7Pn4PB2.jpg

yZDOGqO.jpg

TJrXMvH.jpg

End:

mZKjWnF.jpg

FeVT4sO.jpg

TEsI4qy.jpg

Back