Aftermarket in the Toilet?

Betzner,

This is your "snapshot". You are primarily focused on a few makers. As such any affect that will minimize a collectors abilities to continue to pay high prices for say such makers as Erickson and D'Holder...is viewed as a negative by you.

Those of you who buy what you like and do so with no regard to the after market...the economy is of no consequence.

Les, I thought I would take you off of "ignore" to see what you had to say, and notice it's just as usual. You make pronouncements and presumptions about others.

In this instance, you snag my quote about the probability of the economy probably meaning perhaps fewer first time buyers, and rather than respond to it, you go off on a tangent about "I buy what I like" types, etc.

Why don't you stay on subject? I would honestly like to keep you off of ignore and here some sound discussions from a dealer I respect - but I don't.

Hi Holger,

You are very typical of a collector who has been collecting as long as you have.

You and the collectors like you are the back bone of the custom knife industry.

Thanks, Les. That's a pretty nice compliment. (I have also made one or two little dumb decisions along the way - and like I did when I ran my agency, I admit them (immediately! before the client can smother you with guilt ;) ), correct them, and learn from them. And I do read and enjoy all of these threads - if I can learn just a tiny bit from them, the time spent here is VERY valuable indeed.

Les, I thought I would take you off of "ignore" to see what you had to say, and notice it's just as usual. You make pronouncements and presumptions about others.

In this instance, you snag my quote about the probability of the economy probably meaning perhaps fewer first time buyers, and rather than respond to it, you go off on a tangent about "I buy what I like" types, etc.

Why don't you stay on subject? I would honestly like to keep you off of ignore and here some sound discussions from a dealer I respect - but I don't.

betzner, i totally agree with you. i made two posts on page one of this thread, both were about the aftermarket, and what kind of response do i get? none. but we get to read about what an all knowing dealer les is and how successful he is. it's kind of funny because when i look at his website the same knives are for sale for months and months and months. he claims most knives don't hit the website but what does that mean? are the knives on the site the stuff nobody wants? i think it's absurd that we are asked to believe all these proclamations but based on what? because les says so? i was at the chicago show, i saw what sold and what didn't, i heard makers and purveyors say the sales were disappointing, i commented on it, and every valid point i made was ignored. typical. i need to figure out the ignore button.

When you really think about it, all collectors and all different collecting philosophies add balance and contribute to the community as a whole.

Exactly. That's why in threads like this, I shut up (most of the time ;) ) and just absorb the ton of good info from people who DO know what they're talking about. (And I got tired 11 years ago of explaining to the "All-My-Knives-Are-Users" individuals why I am not using a Josef Rusnak or Arpad Boitos to clear the weeds from along the rear fence.)

I would like to borrow about $ 5,000.00. I need to buy an over priced Knife..

Then make your case, privately, like any other business proposal, instead of throwing out just another vague re-tread negativism. I have never closed the door to my office to anyone who wanted to talk to me about an opportunity to swim against the current.

Any insight or suggestions on how to best benefit from current market trends?

My desire isn’t really to collect or invest. My goal is to learn, buy wisely, get to handle nice knives and then sell them (if possible) at minimal to no loss. Sort of enjoy the journey not the destination.

Mitch

I keep wanting to contribute to this thread that I started, but as Holger pointed out, there is great value in absorbing what others - most of which have a much better handle on the topic than me - are putting out there. Given my short history in custom knives, my view is still myopic.

It's been pointed out to me that the title I chose for the thread is crass and inflammatory. However, I was hoping to stir the pot, (it's been a little quiet in here, controversy-wise, lately) and really get the pointed answers only a pointed question can bring. I just wanted to put that out there so that you who care, know where I was coming from.

Thank you, and please continue the discussion, gentlemen.:)

Betzner,

The market is what it is and will be what it will be? Really?

As a collector who is not interested in what value your knives have or will have in the aftermarket. That is a perfect summation of how the markets affect you.

If you were wanting to sell one or two of those knives however......

The custom knife market, like any other market expands and contracts due in some part to the external forces (economy for one). However, most of what shapes the markets are those who are actively involved in that market...the Market Makers.

Collectors who have no interest in the aftermarket have a luxury that I do not have.

Martin,

First, who are you? I realize you would prefer to hide behind a screen name.

Collector or maker?

Your observations are clear as mud. The knives just sit and sit on my web site? Really?

Makes you wonder how I can pay my bills and stay in business.

Please feel free to use the ignore button.....for Blade Forums. As post after post by you are filled with nothing but supposition and inaccuracies. Which adds nothing to the discussion.

I'll be waiting to read who you are and what your relationship is to custom knives.

Since Les single handedly dictates and controls the whole global aftermarket in custom knives,… if it’s in the toilet right now, we can all blame him for it!

(Tai ducks and covers.) :D

… just kidding Les! :)

Hi Mitch:

First, figure out what style of knife or knives you like.

Second, find the makers that make that style of knife.

Thrid, compare and contrast each of the makers work.

Fourth, determine their position in the particular market you are interested in.

It is in the 4th step that you will discover which makers understand their position in that market. Those who understand that will offer very competitive pricing. Those who understand that they are new in the market and at the same time have excellent skills. Will be looked upon by the "early adopters" as someone to watch or be referred to as a "Up and Coming" maker. Look for those makers of the knives you desire. Those who offer what I refer to as "Value Pricing" will provide you the best chance for what you are looking for.

The quicker you can identify what you really like and want to collect....the more money you will save.

Hi Tai,

Since Les single handedly dictates and controls the whole global aftermarket in custom knives,… if it’s in the toilet right now, we can all blame him for it!

LOL, global after market...no!

But in Evans GA....I am the Man! :D

Then make your case, privately, like any other business proposal, instead of throwing out just another vague re-tread negativism. I have never closed the door to my office to anyone who wanted to talk to me about an opportunity to swim against the current.

Cockroachfarm, Not being negative at all sir just my take on the current market in general. Money is tight to the common individual. Certainly uncertain times. Knives on a whole are priced above market at this time. Thanks for the offer of a loan but my request was tongue in cheek. Sorry you missed the point.

Regards,

Cockroachfarm, Not being negative at all sir just my take on the current market in general. Money is tight to the common individual. Certainly uncertain times. Knives on a whole are priced above market at this time. Thanks for the offer of a loan but my request was tongue in cheek. Sorry you missed the point.

Regards,

d., in the twenty years that I have been collecting, I have noticed.....

Common individuals DO NOT collect custom knives...., irrespective of the overall economic situation at any given time.... this is not an elitist or exclusionary opinion...I wish it was not true......there are many "average joes" who may own a nice knife or two.....even a few entry level customs.....but actively collecting, or even interested, parties(in my direct experience) are not common...it takes FAR too much time, research and money to get involved in this irrelevant hobby if you cannot continually play.

This is of course, also excluding those who purchase user knives only....as they tend to identify as knife USERS as opposed to knife COLLECTORS.

Also, I didn't get your point either....sarcasm or "tongue in cheek" is much more effective if it is easily understood by those whose voices are not occupying your mind.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
Everyone,

All this is very interesting and also I seem to be learning a few facts
along the way, BUT, where is all this going? That is beyond the grasp
of my simple minded comprehension....

And also - - Hi Steven... :)

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

Since getting into the aftermarket in 1968, I bought knives at shows and offered them to my mail order customers and soon people were sending me knives to sell for them. This business is largely handled by others now, but, I have seen several down turns like the one being talked about and they always had the same result: Falling sales for knives priced under $500 and increased sales for knives over $1,000. If this is not the case today it will be the first time in 40 years. A. G.

Ah, Thanks Mr. Russell, for bringing this thread back to earth....

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

Back