Any response to this? S35VN Related...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep your eye out for vintage Sebbies, then.

I know. Those ATS-34 blades are hard to find and currently not the route I am going in with my knife collection. I do love the RWL-34 (Powdered version of ATS-34) custom I have.

True enough, though I would never shell out the money for an Emerson custom.

I am a bit curious as to how CRK S30V blades are heat treated, but I'm hoping multiple tempers and cryo treatment is there as a bare minimum.

Though again, S30V never really left me wanting in terms of performance. If I ever doubt its edge holding I suppose I could slide that edge along my fingers and call it then and there. My wanting an extra point of hardness is just greed on my part.

I would think it is heat treated as per Crucibles instructions:

Recommended Heat Treatment:
Austenitize 1950°F (1065°C). Quench to below 125°F (50°C).
Double temper at 600°F (315°C) 2 hrs. minimum each temper.
Cool to hand warm between tempers. A freezing treatment may
be added between tempers.
Aim hardness: 58-61 HRC.

True enough, though I would never shell out the money for an Emerson custom.

I am a bit curious as to how CRK S30V blades are heat treated, but I'm hoping multiple tempers and cryo treatment is there as a bare minimum.

Though again, S30V never really left me wanting in terms of performance. If I ever doubt its edge holding I suppose I could slide that edge along my fingers and call it then and there. My wanting an extra point of hardness is just greed on my part.

Couldn't tell you that.

Still waiting on a S35VN large Sebenza to show up at my door to run my battery of tests on though, although I won't be holding my breath for that to happen in this century...... ROFL :D

I also have that Orange Power Cord waiting for one to show up also.

Last edited:
Kitchen knives and cutting boards are a natural. For me the medium was never wires and rope. Just food. :)
Don't use my EDC in the kitchen normally but did use an Endura VG10 briefly as a steak knife. Against steak it was phenomenal! Against the plate however and mostly toward the tip, it was not so good.
Repeatedly pushing into and slicing into a cutting board? Never tried that. Not even with kitchen knives. But to push the envelope this seems like a good idea. AUS8 didn't behave like S35...this time? That's a good thing to know. I believe it was honest.
I don't use my EDC that way but there is no denying that I sometimes use it "inappropriately".
My greatest lesson from this discussion may be an obscure point for some, obvious to others but it was an eye opener for me. Harder steel chips, softer steel rolls. The subtle balance between the two equates either to longer edge holding vs easier to resharpen. :encouragement:

Hi Ank,

I have read both of these threads now. I have always followed your testing and found it informative. We have been on friends list for a couple years it seems :)

Looking at the response from CR it seemed he emphasized how his knife was sharpened. You don't think that has anything to do with it do you?

You obviously have something with your testing, but I can't think CR is a liar and I can't throw out his years of experience. Just like I am not throwing out your experience.

So what do you think?

I've noticed a significant difference between slicing and push cutting. Thanks to these videos. Blade must be really sharp to pushcut phonebook paper. Significantly easier to pushcut copier paper. Slicing is different. Pushcutting uses only a small portion of the edge while slicing utilizes all of the edge i.e. all of the edge from heel to tip. I almost always use slicing cuts normally. But the pushcutting tests are indeed very illuminating.

Hi Ank,

I have read both of these threads now. I have always followed your testing and found it informative. We have been on friends list for a couple years it seems :)

Looking at the response from CR it seemed he emphasized how his knife was sharpened. You don't think that has anything to do with it do you?

You obviously have something with your testing, but I can't think CR is a liar and I can't throw out his years of experience. Just like I am not throwing out your experience.

So what do you think?

It's something I would have to see.... In person and look at the knife before the testing ect.

300 cuts through power cable and still able to shave hair..... I think it was a type-O....

JIm

I understand Ank. I used to do a lot of electrical work at my old job but I always used some variation of wire/cable cutters.

I am just thinking convex vs V. Sebenzas come with pretty hearty convex edges. We both know when you throw it on the edge pro, even if you match the bevel height, your removing a lot of meat (strength) from the cutting edge.

That doesn't negate comparing two identical edges of S30V to the S35VN though.

Just thinking about this one. I love my sebenzas but I'm hesitant to order a new one.

I understand Ank. I used to do a lot of electrical work at my old job but I always used some variation of wire/cable cutters.

I am just thinking convex vs V. Sebenzas come with pretty hearty convex edges. We both know when you throw it on the edge pro, even if you match the bevel height, your removing a lot of meat (strength) from the cutting edge.

That doesn't negate comparing two identical edges of S30V to the S35VN though.

Just thinking about this one. I love my sebenzas but I'm hesitant to order a new one.

I matched the angle on my Umnumzaan (S30V) and it turned out great, now all I have had to do is just touch it up every now and then on a ceramic rod, strop whatever.

I understand and that's why I said that doesn't negate your results :)

The Umnumzaan is one of my favorite knives I have and I have been using the heck out of it at work, I don't baby it at all. :)

I went back and edited my post. I thought you had compared two sebenzas. I think all these pages confused me. Yeah, I never have had a problem with my sebenzas either.

Does the ummumzaan have a thicker grind?

Straighten me out here Ank, I'm on my phone reading these threads. Was it two sebenzas both to the same angle just different steel? But one failed the test?

I went back and edited my post. I thought you had compared two sebenzas. I think all these pages confused me. Yeah, I never have had a problem with my sebenzas either.

Does the ummumzaan have a thicker grind?

Straighten me out here Ank, I'm on my phone reading these threads. Was it two sebenzas both to the same angle just different steel? But one failed the test?

John tested a Sebenza and a Native 5.

Gotcha. Sorry Ank, let me direct my question to John. Thanks for taking the time to repeat yourself :)

Okay, so John, did you compare an S30v sebenza to an S35VN sebenza both sharpened to the same degree and angle?

To be clear I'm not defending CR here, I'm trying to save myself any possible heartache.

Btw Ank I know you would never hate against a company or steel. You give credit where it is do in every video I have viewed of yours.

Gotcha. Sorry Ank, let me direct my question to John. Thanks for taking the time to repeat yourself :)

Okay, so John, did you compare an S30v sebenza to an S35VN sebenza both sharpened to the same degree and angle?

To be clear I'm not defending CR here, I'm trying to save myself any possible heartache.

Nope, I don't own any S30V CRKs. But, I highly doubt you'd be disappointed with an S35VN Seb. :)

[video=youtube;qOboM8U-mJI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOboM8U-mJI[/video]

Thanks John. That looked like fun cutting all that cardboard. So that video showed me it holds and edge. It also shows me you know how to sharpen. One pass through cardboard could prevent newsprint cutting if you didn't finsih the edge properly.

With that said, I want to see S30V vs S35VN. I have a few sebenzas so buying a new one is not a need but a want. And I don't want inferior steel whether it cuts cardboard well or not. If it mucks up on rope and S30v does not, all things being equal in the testing, then I don't want S35VN.

Thanks for taking the time.

Thanks John. That looked like fun cutting all that cardboard. So that video showed me it holds and edge. It also shows me you know how to sharpen. One pass through cardboard could prevent newsprint cutting if you didn't finsih the edge properly.

With that said, I want to see S30V vs S35VN. I have a few sebenzas so buying a new one is not a need but a want. And I don't want inferior steel whether it cuts cardboard well or not. If it mucks up on rope and S30v does not, all things being equal in the testing, then I don't want S35VN.

Thanks for taking the time.

You're very welcome. :) And yeah a wire edge would be evident within the first few cuts, haha. I imagine that is a source for much frustration for some people. They can be hard to deal with sometimes.

Yeah, I actually think even micro burrs cause a lot of misinformation in the knifeworld.

Thanks for the vid CTS. Have my 2nd S35VN Sebenza on order and was "a little hesitant" on following through with the purchase prior to getting some kind of response concerning the steel and/or HT from CRK or any maker that works w/S35VN. But did some cutting myself with an S35VN SnG and Sebenza and came up with basically the same results as you. The SnG had zero noticeable degradation to the blade edge-albiet much more steel behind the edge. The Sebbie had a couple micro burrs. But nothing really much different than what I would expect from S30V. IMO the Sebenza should be kept with a convex edge. I think putting a V edge on a Sebenza and you lose a little cutting time before touch ups are needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back