Any response to this? S35VN Related...

Status
Not open for further replies.
"My point has nothing to do with the steel. Its about a very few in this thread that doesn't seem to be showing much respect to Anne or Chris. "

Absolutely true. No matter how much you spin it, a statement like the one below is calling CRK liars.

"Yeah I'd believe that it still cut paper also, but that's not what was said. It was said that after 300 cuts into extension cord the the knife still shaved hair. I'm not sure any steel in a production knife can do that."

In my "hood" this statement is basically disrespect: "What this is about is right here and right now and how it has been handled, or should I say not handled for lack of a better postable word or phrase."

No I am not a "fanboy". I only own one, small decorated sebenza bought recently with S35N steel. I don't need to "justify" my purchase, since I only buy what I can readily afford. In my real world use it holds up much better than AUS8A, it is easier to sharpen than S30V, doesn't chip like S30V when it hits a ceramic plate and when used as a knife, rarely needs sharpening.

I think that they aren't lacking in the getting respect category. Let me pose this question if you aren't a personal friend? Have you ever had a serious issue with a CRK and called to obtain service or a replacement or a fix? If you're not personal friends and have made that call, you'll see how much respect that you're afforded.
Well, I don't think Chris Reeve would consider me a friend, as I've never met the man, but he had no problem calling me to discuss the issues I had with the Unmumzaan I sent in for repairs. We discussed, at length, the issues I had and he was nothing but a true gentleman even when I voiced my genuine concerns that were against his opinions. At the end of the day, my issues were settled and I felt his company and the man himself did right by me. Am I a fan? Sure, but I'm not blinded by adoration. I respect other hobbyists doing the testing they enjoy doing, but I'm not ready to go against my own personal experience with the knives I've had in S35VN. I'm not trying to be disrepectful, but I'm more than confident the fireground, MVAs and firehouse where I've used my knives is on par with someone's backyard or kitchen. I'd suggest everyone continue to keep an open mind and trust their own experience.

Nobody has enough balls to send me a Sebeanza in S35VN, heaven forbid that my testing might confirm what John found or that there could be an issue....
You know it might be that some of us still trust our own real ife experiences.

I still believe that more testing on a large scale is needed and with more knives out in peoples hands using them over time, also with more time for the manufactures and heat treaters to really get S35VN down and see what they can and can't do with it ect.

It took quite a bit of time with S30V so I suspect the same will be true for S35VN in the end.

S35VN is still too new to draw any real conclusions to what it will and won't do.

I still believe that more testing on a large scale is needed and with more knives out in peoples hands using them over time, also with more time for the manufactures and heat treaters to really get S35VN down and see what they can and can't do with it ect.

It took quite a bit of time with S30V so I suspect the same will be true for S35VN in the end.

S35VN is still too new to draw any real conclusions to what it will and won't do.

58 - 59 HRC seems to open Priority mail boxes pretty good. :p

"My point has nothing to do with the steel. Its about a very few in this thread that doesn't seem to be showing much respect to Anne or Chris. "

Absolutely true. No matter how much you spin it, a statement like the one below is calling CRK liars.

"Yeah I'd believe that it still cut paper also, but that's not what was said. It was said that after 300 cuts into extension cord the the knife still shaved hair. I'm not sure any steel in a production knife can do that."

In my "hood" this statement is basically disrespect: "What this is about is right here and right now and how it has been handled, or should I say not handled for lack of a better postable word or phrase."

No I am not a "fanboy". I only own one, small decorated sebenza bought recently with S35N steel. I don't need to "justify" my purchase, since I only buy what I can readily afford. In my real world use it holds up much better than AUS8A, it is easier to sharpen than S30V, doesn't chip like S30V when it hits a ceramic plate and when used as a knife, rarely needs sharpening.
In the words of Chris Rock "Motha F#cka just smudged my Puma! Now i gotta go an shoot 'em cause he's disrespecting my Feet!"

Try and learn to use the quote function, this post is just a muddle and adds nothing..........What parts of it are your words and what parts of it are someone elses ?

John,

Could you make another video? Here is what I am thinking.

Finish the edge as well as you can. Set up all your testing media in the frame.

Go into testing:

Cardboard for a few minutes checking sharpness with newsprint
Rope for a few minutes - Check with newsprint
Attach about ten zip ties to something sturdy and cut them off. No push cuts onto a board, just real life type cuts (should be harder)
A piece of seasoned hardwood - press the edge straight in and make curved cuts out.

If at any point it won't cut newsprint move to printer paper.

I would like to see this. These are some day to day things that I would think anyone would run across.

If not, I understand. If you do I think the cardboard at the start will show you have a proper edge. Then the rope test can be re-run. Do it over wood so there are no excuses. The zip ties will show hard plastic real life performance. The seasoned wood will show lateral strength I suppose.

Im by far a tester...

Just saying, I would like to see all of this with your S35vn. BTW, I am not trying to tell you how to test, I am just telling you what I would like to see. No edits also means no excuses :)

Also, I am with Haze, just because we don't snap pics of our work does not mean we don't use our CRK's :)

The two responses from CRK disappoint me badly. They dismissed the video's, and offered no reasoning to why the steel preformed the way it did. I was hoping for a better reply. Chris was ahead of his time and blowing out the competition for many years. I personally feel he has hit a plateau and other makers and other steels are advancing. I would love to see Chris do away with s35vn and use something better. Something that won't chip.

I would get a new edc, something else, but the one thing I love about my sebenza is how you can take the knife apart for cleaning. I have been doing this on mine for going on 8 years. All original hardware, the only thing that has been replaced is the screw that hold the pocket clip. This is a big plus for me. I don't like pocket lent or dryer up steak juice in my knife and on the pivot.

I will also never buy another sebenza since they did away with the regular design. The classic or 21 does not feel as good in my hand.

Mr Reeve, you have quite a following and have loyal members here. Don't we deserve a real explanation or your thoughts? Not an automated answer, that doesn't even address the "problem"?

I hope that you can revamp the steel or use something better. That on some regular slabs will get this old CRK owner a new knife in his pocket that are worthy of the times.

I'm thinking it's more likely the heat treatment wasn't quite right on that particular knife. Though having rolled my edge on my Speedform 2 with an Elmax blade while prying a plastic bottle cap out of a storm drain cover, it suddenly doesn't seem all that difficult to blunt an edge to that extent.

In my own little fantasy world, I would have preferred a situation in which Chris was told about the blunting while cutting some rope, Chris says, "unacceptable", demands the knife back with another sent to CTS, and all is good.

Or maybe I'm just spoiled by Kershaw.

Funny. I'm working on a small sebenza 21 review right now. One of the knives I'm putting it up against is a Strider Mini SJ75. They both have s35vn. The Sm Seb was born June or July 2011, the SJ75 left the Strider shop less than two weeks ago. Both knives have the same blade thickness, but the SJ75 is much wider. Currently I have two CRKs in s35vn, two Striders with it, a s30v Seb & two other Striders in s30v... To compare Red Delicious with Gala.

I spent around an hour getting a "perfect" edge on both knives. I made sure there were no "wire edge" issues. I tested the sharpness on thin magazine paper... both were seriously sharp. More difficulty is definitely noted on the SJ75.

I sliced two equal pieces of cardboard into 15 pieces with each knife. First note is that the sm Seb definitely outperformed the SJ75 as far as ease of slicing. Back to the magazine paper, no edge degradation noted on either. Repeat. Strange result. The Seb continues slicing cardboard with little resistance. The SJ75 begins to tear cardboard. Back to the magazine... Musician's Friend is having a sale on guitar pedal effects. The tables turn. Now the Small Sebenza is making fairly "toothy" slices on the magazine paper & the SJ75 shows no sign of edge wear. Repeat.

I am VERY surprised at the results. The Sebenza really outshines the SJ75 in cutting cardboard. I cut a metric crapload of cardboard. Though the SJ75 continued to slice thin paper with a cleaner cut, neither knife dulled even close to what I imagined. In my opinion both knives are excellent.

While not actually -back & fourth- comparing knives it really seems that generally Strider's steel outperforms CRK's. However the build quality of the tools themselves are incomparable. Where & how CRK uses screws, tolerances, lock design, stop pin design, edge geometry, the function of the closed knife's handle as a superior sheath, down to the pocket clip application & design. CRK outshines most if not all competitors in these areas. My use & and other reasonable testing shows no evidence in s35vn being problematic. The different results in HT ARE THERE though. I DO think a higher HT is in order. Honestly though, it's not a HUGE difference. There is no way it will push one of the finest made knives in history outta my rotation.

Well I'm just going to say that I recently received a new knife with an S35VN blade from a Major name in the industry and was surprised to find that the edge was slightly rolled from the factory, especially since I've never seen anything less than perfect come out of his factory. I stropped it lightly on a belt and found that it came back to true quite readily which made me happy with the steel. I then used it lightly to cut up some chicken and vegetables for my son on a quality cutting board and was surprised to see that the edge had flattened A LOT where it had cut the food and not just where it contacted the board. I again touched it up( had to use a ceramic rod this time ) and found that it easily took a keen edge.
It seemed like a very soft steel that does not have the ability to hold an edge that any of my other S30V, 154CM, CPM154, ATS34, VG10, or BG42, or stainless Damascus blades can hold. It's early in this steel's life and I'm not discounting it yet, I've had numerous bad examples of rotten S30V from Microtech many years ago that soured me against it before I tried it on my first CRK that wasn't a Damascus.

I may sell off my current knife, but I will definitely buy it again at a later date when the kinks that I noticed seem to have been worked out.
It is possible that I received a blade out of a bad batch of heat treat, nobody's perfect. I don't hold this against the maker and am looking forward to getting another one of the tanto models in the future.

This is all purely my opinion, and if you don't like it that's your choice. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but am somehow a savant when it comes to poising people off; so I'll end this with - have a great day and thanks for taking the time to read my post.

After all, it's only money people;D

Wow, hey - You guys that take the time to test these knives and take the time and incur the expense risk and effort ....then take the time to put out a pretty decent video for the knife community to view - Thanks Guys.

Man, find a chink in someones armor and spend the rest of the day defending Why and How you saw it ....Wow:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back