Attachment issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I though mods had mid-six figure salaries to go along with the prestige of the position……. Not sure where I heard that but maybe it is not correct?
Spark cut back on the booze, broads and benefits. Austerity budget, apparently.

We're hoping that we'll be flush later in the year. For now...smoke 'em if you got 'em.

We (moderators) do not have the ability to batch delete images, addresses, etc. from posts / threads.

Blues, is there a way to change permissions so people can delete attachments in either locked threads or threads where they no longer have privileges?

For instance, most of the ones on my list that I want to delete are the ones where the icon to delete is not present:

screenhunter_2420-mar-18-00-46-jpg.2530970

I don't know of any way to do that.

I don't know of any way to do that.

I don't suppose you could at least temporarily unlock threads or restore privileges on a case by case basis upon request? If so, I'll PM you on the ones that are data hogs.

There is no way I'm going down that road on a piecemeal basis...sorry.

I could make a $5 contribution to the Blues BF salary and retirement fund. I only need a few hours. It's like a hundred attachments spread out over two or three threads.

All the moderators have to do is consider unlocking a thread at the request of a forum member who would then delete their own photographs. The moderators do not need to delete any photographs at all. As an example, I have about a hundred useless photographs locked in the last three or four annual forum knife threads. I do not believe it would be very difficult at all to unlock a few of those.

I am sure that the vast majority of members are going to go the third party route anyway despite the advertisements, outages, crappy content, security risks, etc. Only a few of us dinosaurs will continue to do it the old fashioned way of simply taking a photograph on our phone and posting directly to BF from there. I guess that now falls into the category of the “good old days.”

jlauffer jlauffer , we do not really know how many requests the moderators would get to open closed threads without at least a trial run.

Last edited:
All the moderators have to do is consider unlocking a thread at the request of a forum member who would then delete their own photographs. The moderators do not need to delete any photographs at all. As an example, I have about a hundred useless photographs locked in the last three or four annual forum knife threads. I do not believe it would be very difficult at all to unlock a few of those.
The problem is, it's not just "a few". And if the mods agreed, their inboxes would get flooded with requests and they would get bogged down with that instead of actually moderating.

Users can unlock their own threads.

Try sending a request to the OP of the locked thread and see if they will help y'all out.

Coming from someone who has posted about 5,000 photos and has switched over to Imgur. Outside of decreased quality in the uploads, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. What are you gere for, the photos or the give and take. If it's the photos, I'll be glad to let you subscribe to a website.

I am sure that the vast majority of members are going to go the third party route anyway despite the advertisements, outages, crappy content, security risks, etc. Only a few of us dinosaurs will continue to do it the old fashioned way of simply taking a photograph on our phone and posting directly to BF from there. I guess that now falls into the category of the “good old days.”

jlauffer jlauffer , we do not really know how many requests the moderators would get to open closed threads without at least a trial run.
Maybe not, but pretty much a moot point when the mods have provided this type of response multiple times:

There is no way I'm going down that road on a piecemeal basis...sorry.

Well Alan, joeradza joeradza , I simply prefer to do it the way I have for the past seven or eight years. Being adverse to technology and change is practically synonymous with being a traditional knife collector. And yes, I much prefer posts to include photographs along with useful information. You suggest I subscribe to a website instead of remaining here, but I will stay as long as we can maintain at least a decent number of attachments. I hope that doesn’t disappoint you too much.

Well Alan, joeradza joeradza , I simply prefer to do it the way I have for the past seven or eight years. Being adverse to technology and change is practically synonymous with being a traditional knife collector. And yes, I much prefer posts to include photographs along with useful information. You suggest I subscribe to a website instead of remaining here, but I will stay as long as we can maintain at least a decent number of attachments. I hope that doesn’t disappoint you too much.
Hey Greg. I knew I'd upset some friends but please forgive me because you know I like posting my photos as much as anyone and of course you're entitled to do things whichever way makes you the most comfortable. I guess at my age I have more important things that ruffle my feathers. The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is the quality of the photos being posted via Imgur are terrible. Mine included. They lack the snap I'm used to.

I mean, when I first came here 5 years ago (how has it been that long?!) I somehow learned that 3rd party site hosting was the recommended practice.
I don't even know how I learned that, but the information was ubiquitous enough that I figured it out.
I see that you've been here since 2016, so perhaps the good ol' days started 6 years ago.

Either way, I can understand as well as anyone the reluctance to change the way I do things, but I promise you it's only mildly inconvenient.
You might consider yourself a "dinosaur", but I'm sure you've got a few tricks left in the bag.
Time and time again you've proven yourself a smart fellow. I believe you'll have no trouble.

Just remember what Blade Forums dealt with in 1827: one pocket knife, and if you wanted to show it to someone, you'd have to ride into town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back