Becker bug

I'm working on an old Buck 107 as we speak. Been trying to get the angles right. Broke out the Work Sharp KO. Buck runs a 17degree angle???

Here it is...
About the same almost the entire length of the "edge"...
al6vsRc.jpg

xwlNgI5.jpg

Last edited:
Wow!!!! Thats alot of material to remove. Good luck to ya. Your gonna have to get all anal retentive on that blade.

Painted the edge black and started at true 20 degrees.
RWaUzUo.jpg

This will take forever using my "handtools".

Last edited:
Thats alot of 1095 to remove before you hit that layout blue on the edge. Your call danny.k powered and generate heat or elbow grease and eat up time. Time is a very valuable commodity.

Yes it is(time).
I have nothing against sharpening but like to be able to use the knives somewhat before putting on that special touch edge if you get my feeling.?
This Bk29 wouldnt cut birthdaycakes properly as it came from Ka-bar.

Tried stropping for the first time ever today.
Found about 2 meters of fine leather(4mm thick and 10cm wide) at work...bought two sticks of polishing compound and got busy.
Went through the entire Ka-Bar/Becker collection and then some..
Holy makerell! Why havnt i tried this before?
Went trough three steps with em al, course, fine and finaly just plain leather.
Before trying to stropp ive always been content with just "grindin" with various sharpeningstones/systems.

The above Brandspankin new-Hillbillydesroyed/sharpened/pictured/used BK29 went from DULL to sharp to scary :eek:.
Sharpest of the bunch is however The BK16 and the ohh so handy Snakecharmer.

If any of you thought i was nonBeckerish when pointing out the faults from the factory(imho totaly unacceptable atleast on the BK29) i can calm you down somewhat because i just bought two new Mora-knivar....1:st one is a Kansbol, roughest edge ive ever encountered(imagine 80grit sandpaper)...sharpened that biaxxh up and stropped. The Kansbol had a secundary edge.??? First Mora ive ever seen with that..Got the knife at super discount but still..
2:nd knife was a Mora no:2 classic. This friggin knife has its blade shoved down in the handle so of center/scewed(?) its hard to belive it ever left the factory..:poop: Never ever seen this before from Mora..
yj1wphF.jpg

Last edited:
Big appologies for my somewhat crude English/american vocabulary...

Last edited:
Tried stropping for the first time ever today.
Found about 2 meters of fine leather(4mm thick and 10cm wide) at work...bought two sticks of polishing compound and got busy.
Went through the entire Ka-Bar/Becker collection and then some..
Holy makerell! Why havnt i tried this before?
Went trough three steps with em al, course, fine and finaly just plain leather.
Before trying to stropp ive always been content with just "grindin" with various sharpeningstones/systems.

The above Brandspankin new-Hillbillydesroyed/sharpened/pictured/used BK29 went from DULL to sharp to scary :eek:.
Sharpest of the bunch is however The BK16 and the ohh so handy Snakecharmer.

If any of you thought i was nonBeckerish when pointing out the faults from the factory(imho totaly unacceptable atleast on the BK29) i can calm you down somewhat because i just bought two new Mora-knivar....1:st one is a Kansbol, roughest edge ive ever encountered(imagine 80grit sandpaper)...sharpened that biaxxh up and stropped. The Kansbol had a secundary edge.??? First Mora ive ever seen with that..Got the knife at super discount but still..
2:nd knife was a Mora no:2 classic. This friggin knife has its blade shoved down in the handle so of center/scewed(?) its hard to belive it ever left the factory..:poop: Never ever seen this before from Mora..

Some pics :)
DSC_0590_zpsngzqcvqg.jpg

DSC_0591_zpsvc0ypuf9.jpg

Interesting stuff about the Mora knives. They usually have some of the most consistent grinds out of the box, which is pretty noteworthy considering their low cost. Bummer that you keep getting some lemons... Although it is nice to have the skills and means to correct the problems, you still should be able to expect a overall acceptable blade out of the box.

I agree about Mora grinds - always surprises me how even and sharp they come out of the box.

Exactemundo!
If it was a 10$ chinese piece of crap you would expect such BS but when you buy stuff "proudly made"(US,SWE,GERMANY etc..) witch doesnt nearly reach up to acceptable levels of qality/craftmanship it makes you wonder...
For example, my friends keep buggin me for toting low end(Low end contra $ spent) US made blades. Well lets see, BK29-package is 200$ from Ka-bar. Add about 60$ in S&H. Add 25% customs-fee on the purchased item + shipping. Then add another 10$ for the customs just handeling the matter...
Then when you rip the usps-pac open and find the blades edge all fxxxed up....someone less patient/laid back person would have freaked out:p.
Well ive got atleast 3 well made Beckers out of 7 this year, none out of 2 was well made from Mora..
Fällkniven next maybee.? Hate their handles but who knows..

Fällkniven is on my list of knives to try. I have heard really good things about their laminated steel. They just tend to be a bit outside of my normal knife budget...

Fällkniven is on my list of knives to try. I have heard really good things about their laminated steel. They just tend to be a bit outside of my normal knife budget...

I feel the same.. Handles arent even close to Becker-knives though. The steel in those Fällkniven knives are all great, IF you manage to get one that doesnt require complete reangeling..no pun intended. Never heard of a poorly angled/sharpened Fällkniven though.

Back