Best thing ever Spyderco backlocks

Back lock from spyderco is awesome and should be general knowledge.
This quick video demonstrates a way of operation with the emphasis on the closing phase.
I have noticed a lack of people showing this out there and decided to make my amateur video. Works on many other spyderco backlocks.
This knife is on loan from my wife :)
, but it's mine! o_O

Last edited:
define best? best in your opinion? best in locking? best in looking? best in function? best in what?

im not a fan of backlocks, but i have a one that i really like, for example the lionsteel TM1 in carbon fiber. its a ball bearing pivot with a backlock integral made of carbon fiber.

i really dont think they, as in backlocks are the "best" in anything particular.

You didn't show the bleeding yet. Fool around with lockback knives enough, especially trying to close them one-handed, and they will get you.

That frame lock that appeared would likely be faster to close.

Agreed spyderco makes a nice backlock but prefer other locking mechanisms due to shifting your hand to such a degree when closing.

You didn't show the bleeding yet. Fool around with lockback knives enough, especially trying to close them one-handed, and they will get you.
They are safer in the pocket, though. I feel always anxious carrying a liner or frame lock in my pocket.

Reactions: 353
I just wanted to get it out there that this knife and other spyderco backlocks could be closed fast in one motion. It's safe when done properly after being qualified as a professional Russian.

Pretty nice technique. Frame locks are definitely more convenient than lockbacks though for one handed use. But with lockbacks, you don't have to worry about too early lockup, too late lockup, lock stick, overtravel, inconsistent lock wear, and poor aesthetics that accompany the frame lock.

Reactions: 353

Don't with Linerlocks and Framelocks though ,you have to put your thumb in the path of the blade to release the lock and as the lock is halfway up the handle the tang of the blade won't protect your thumb? (Hence why I call them Thumb Guillotines) .I also spent most on my life up to late teens using slipjoints and have a bad habit to this day of closing a blade against my pants leg even with thinking about it even though I have had locking knives for 25 to 30 years now

I have a Spyderco endura and I use that knife for everything the back lock is great but it has developed a lot of lock rock sadly.

I have spyderco chaparral, which is a backlock too, and it has internal stop pin. There's a track in the blade and a pin. It adds protection so the vertical force is not applied all to the locking mechanism. It's kinda nice for small knife.

Due to some safety concerns exhibited in comments and me being a responsible bladeforums.com member. Please view this video to make sure you understand how to perform this technique safely. Thank you.
This is mostly for my own generation lol cuz i guess you can't teach old dog new tricks :). No offence i respect older folks.

I've encountered several knife nubs who dislike the liner/frame lock because they feel like they're closing the knife on their thumb. Of course, they really don't care about the speed or smoothness of the action.

Flicking a back lock open will cause up and down play fairly quickly. This is not a problem with liner and framlocks in my experience. I do the control open with back locks....cool technique though...I love that Spyderco back lock snap

The way I usually close most backlocks (more so mid-locks) is I just depress the lockbar with my thumb while still having my fingers around the knife as I would when holding it normally. Then with the lockbar depressed I flip the blade down gently just slightly and this swings the blade down just enough to make is so if I release the lockbar it won't lock open again. The choil or bottom of the ricasso usually hits against the front of my forefinger when I do this. Then I just close the knife with my forefinger or whatever.

Hey OP..my friend owns a Delica and his is stuff as a board..what did you use to loosen up the pivot ?

K I toned it down to awesome but will keep the title the same
Lol.

I love the backlocks on their knives with the 50/50 choil. Same lock, but you can depress it to let the choil fall on your forefinger and makes for very easy one handed closing. Of course, you've got that covered without the choil already.

I guess i missed something. What's so special about the Spyderco version of the back lock? Several companies have been using it for years and I have been closing them one handed for years, not with that speed, but what's the hurry anyway? My favorites are my Case Copperlocks.

Back