Best thing ever Spyderco backlocks

I'm not a fan of lockbacks either. I can't answer for Mo2, but for me it's specifically because they've been around for a long time. They work just fine, I carried one exclusively for 7 years. I just want something new and sexy. A big part of buying knives is the joy I get in using them. I have more fun using other locks. If I wanted to use a lockback I'd pull out that old knife that I carried for 7 years. It's pretty shallow, but it's the truth.

i dont prefer the action. the video in the OP shows a really great action and function, if i get more backlocks i would like them to be that nice opening and closing. very few backlocks do whats in the video. i do prefer a finger choil so i can release the backlock and catch the blade at the choil with my finger and then drop shut the rest of the way with some wrist.
the other way a backlock can close well if it doesnt have a finger choil is to hold the knaf at a down ward angle, release the backlock and the blade should drop up and down, then shut close with some wrist.

but lets be honest, most backlocks dont work either of those ways, its nice that spyderco does. i rather have compression lock and other lock types tho. i dont use them so instead i give them away and get something i prefer.

I'm not a fan of lockbacks either. I can't answer for Mo2, but for me it's specifically because they've been around for a long time. They work just fine, I carried one exclusively for 7 years. I just want something new and sexy. A big part of buying knives is the joy I get in using them. I have more fun using other locks. If I wanted to use a lockback I'd pull out that old knife that I carried for 7 years. It's pretty shallow, but it's the truth.
Shallow or not, that I can relate to.

Having owned a 110 for many moons and while that works just fine as intended, its always interesting to try something different.

I use my bunch of Spyderco knives far more often than the old Buck.

That being said, I also have a Spyderco or two, which are lock-backs (Caly, Salt, Police etc IIRC).

BTW I like the compression lock as well (seems some dont).

O lol i came up with something completely different. It be nice if it worked though :)

Actually nm i was close. Yours just looks right

Yeah, trying to describe it in words ain't nearly as easily as just showing it. It's easy on these older Clipits, but trickier with that little cutout on the newer backlocks. Supposed to be a safety measure, I dunno, never had any issues with the locks coming disengaged on me.

I can open/close my Delica faster than my Axis knives and my PM2. It's not that the locking mech itself is faster, but I don't have to change my grip much to access the lock. The compression lock on my PM2 leaves me fumbling and frustrated on most occasions, so it collects dust the most.

27115274093_af1719b73d_b.jpg

I will also say that I ditched my liner and frame lock knives because I tend to cut myself when closing them. Once you figure out where to place your index finger when closing a Spyderco lock back, it's fool proof.

I know right. When i flick it open its s little harder than opening it softly but not that much. After getting used to the knife i know what it takes to open it and don't need to add too much extra force. The surfaces that get smacked together when doing it are pretty large and to me it looks like it's not doing much to it. Lots of flipper knives out there that are just fine with being flipped all day. Vertical play develops when pressing excessively on the knife while cutting and too much for the force is applied to the lock.
Delica and endura designs are not xm18s

Sergeua,
I bought my first Delica 20 years ago, and that's the way I've usually closed mine. Other times I catch it on the unsharpened base of blade before pushing closed. And I suppose some might consider me an 'old dog' (I'll be 54 soon). With the Native 5, I allow the choil to contact my index finger.

One type of lockbacks I would strongly recommend NOT closing one-handed is a Cold Steel Triad Lock like the Code 4. In my experience, they aren't set up for safe one-handed closing. Much of it was user error on my part, but it's very easy, as a knife owner, to get cocky about things, and even one lapse of attention can be costly. And don't think momentary lapses can't happen; they can happen to anybody. Two years ago, I lost 4 months of work (my job depends on extensive use of my hands) and underwent physical therapy from a Code 4's blade slamming shut like a guillotine on the back of my index finger over the joint. Luckily all is fine, for the most part.

Jim
Cut my left index finger with buck 110 pretty bad myself. Had one that was stiff, picked up friends one i just sharpened and oiled lol and it was too smooth. Dropped it on my finger. The one i had wouldn't do it. I adopted safer practices from that day forward. Would never try opening that beast with one hand. That 420HC gets too sharp:eek:. Can finally bend my finger fully luckily. How's that 20 year delica doing btw? Did it go through lots of flicking throughout the years?

Sergeua you are a magician with that knife!
Thanks boss. This delica is my first spyderco knife. I learned about spydie flick and all from YouTube. Others spydies are easier to operate after this one. They are larger too. This delica bit me with the tip couple times at the begining because it's small and requires greater dexterity i think

Last edited:
Theres a flick and then theres wrist action a lot of people add cuz not enough power generated with just using the thumb. I use finger nail.

I like lock backs. The one on the Native5 is great.

I also like frame locks , liner locks and the compression lock.

"define best? best in your opinion? best in locking? best in looking? best in function? best in what?"

I haven't read all of the posts here yet but I wanted to thank Sergeua for starting this thread and for the videos. So . . . thank you.

Up until now I have been a push the release and let it drop kind of Spyderco closer.
I am no where as smooth as you Sergeua but I am doin' it.
I could see myself getting cut if I did this at work while not paying attention. I need to develop a pause to get the fingers out of the way even though it is true the blade can be stopped safely partway closed.

In USE I am a BIG fan of lock backs because the area where I grip the knife up near the pivot can be very clean and consistently shaped (no dips or metal bars and tabs and slots on one side). In addition, many of the knives I gravitate toward for other reasons just happen to be lock backs.

I intended to post another photo but potobucket is F-ed right now so maybe later.
Here is an old photo that I posted here long ago showing one of the reasons why I like this Boker Ti handled knife so much. Easy to close similar to the Spyderco technique. Bandage and all.

This Boker and my Spydercos are the only ones of my many lock backs I can do this with and I really appreciate the option.

IMG_3553_zpslbue8o3j.jpg

Last edited:
"define best? best in your opinion? best in locking? best in looking? best in function? best in what?"

I haven't read all of the posts here yet but I wanted to thank Sergeua for starting this thread and for the videos. So . . . thank you.

Up until now I have been a push the release and let it drop kind of Spyderco closer.
I am no where as smooth as you Sergeua but I am doin' it.
I could see myself getting cut if I did this at work while not paying attention. I need to develop a pause to get the fingers out of the way even though it is true the blade can be stopped safely partway closed.

In USE I am a BIG fan of lock backs because the area where I grip the knife up near the pivot can be very clean and consistently shaped (no dips or metal bars and tabs and slots on one side). In addition, many of the knives I gravitate toward for other reasons just happen to be lock backs.

I intended to post another photo but potobucket is F-ed right now so maybe later.
Here is an old photo that I posted here long ago showing one of the reasons why I like this Boker Ti handled knife so much. Easy to close similar to the Spyderco technique. Bandage and all.

This Boker and my Spydercos are the only ones of my many lock backs I can do this with and I really appreciate the option.

IMG_3553_zpslbue8o3j.jpg
Thx. Just wanted to share the method and honestly all of the locks with the right technique are similar in speed.

Try angling the blade towards yourself and it will take the edge away from your fingers. Feels like your rotating it inwards towards yourself. Stay safe

"[Buck 110] Would never try opening that beast with one hand."

Try gripping the blade with index and thumb and doing a spydie drop. As I say . . . at least that big load of handle is good for something.

"Try angling the blade towards yourself and it will take the edge away from your fingers. Feels like your rotating it inwards towards yourself. Stay safe"

First two tries nope
Third try . . . YES!
You're a good teacher. I had been having trouble gripping/keeping control of the handle while sticking other fingers off to the side and straight. Now I can slip the knife toward my thumb for some grip that way. Not sure if that is right but works.

I can open/close my Delica faster than my Axis knives and my PM2. It's not that the locking mech itself is faster, but I don't have to change my grip much to access the lock. The compression lock on my PM2 leaves me fumbling and frustrated on most occasions, so it collects dust the most.

27115274093_af1719b73d_b.jpg

I will also say that I ditched my liner and frame lock knives because I tend to cut myself when closing them. Once you figure out where to place your index finger when closing a Spyderco lock back, it's fool proof.

That Waved Endura is just one of the finest pocket knives ever made in my humble opinion. I have a total love affair with that thing. Everything about it is amazing, utility, great for backup self defense, nice thick tip for light prying and feels great in pocket.

There we go . . . Photobucket is back up. To be fair they have been doing better for me of late than they were months ago.

Top three lock backs no way with the Spyderco one hand technique we are discussing.
Bottom three easy as pie.

Point being the lock back has to be designed for ease of use.
I rarely use my lock back knife to anchor an engine hoist but occasionally I do want to close it .

I just wanted to get it out there that this knife and other spyderco backlocks could be closed fast in one motion. It's safe when done properly after being qualified as a professional Russian.

Not to be picky, but your closing technique is not "one fast motion", it is two motions.

Back