Best thing ever Spyderco backlocks

I like lock backs. The one on the Native5 is great.

I also like frame locks , liner locks and the compression lock.

Agreed!! I only have 2 back locks, Pac Salt & a Native. Both are very smooth and a pleasure to flick!!

I love my Waved Endura. It is very fun to play with. I like how the blade gets pulled back so hard into the handle on the closing action ofnthe knife.

If the waved Endura was also FFG, I'd always carry it.

Just got home from work and thought I'd make a quick video. Kind of sloppy here trying to film with my other hand, but it is what it is.

That's what I consider 'flipping,' lol. I love my Delica though, no doubt.

29679828670_0f2482eed9_b.jpg

"[Buck 110] Would never try opening that beast with one hand."

Try gripping the blade with index and thumb and doing a spydie drop. As I say . . . at least that big load of handle is good for something.
Done that before. I'd open it pinching the blade with two fingers, but now i give it proper respect.
When i have a moment like I don't know what knife to pickup, I'll take the buck out. I like to use both hands with it. You open it and don't have the itch to play around with it, it calms my nerves just by being heavy the way it is. You stop giving a shit about carbon fiber and m390. It puts things in perspective. Then i go back and appreciate my other knives more.
Delica, having nice blade retention, makes me feel safe throwing it in the pocket. I used to take clip off of it before aswell .

-Something to consider is
that the earlier Endura shown lacks the Boye Dent on the back lock, making it easier
to depress the lock w/ a handle squeeze.

The "Boye Dent" that's what it's called, thanks! Yes, it is definitely harder to close with my method on the Boye dent-ed Spydies, but I can manage it usually with the Delica 4. I have to be very conscious of the finger positioning and feel of it.
I also have a Byrd Robin (don't judge me, it was the closest I could get to my lost Co-Pilot!) with the Boye Dent and I just can't get it to work there, but I don't carry that anymore, so non-issue I guess.

If the waved Endura was also FFG, I'd always carry it.

Just got home from work and thought I'd make a quick video. Kind of sloppy here trying to film with my other hand, but it is what it is.

That's what I consider 'flipping,' lol. I love my Delica though, no doubt.

29679828670_0f2482eed9_b.jpg
I accepted your flipping challenge :)
On a road trip right now, this house I'm staying in is in the moving process.. And the blade didn't touch my fingers at the end. It might look like that. :)

What did you guys just polish the actions to get them that smooth?
It doesn't have to be free dropping when you depress the lock to flick it open. There's still lockbar retention that you have to overcome. Just don't make it too tight. I use finger nail in the hole to generate more force. I wouldn't be able to open it just with thumbpad without wrist. Hope that answers your question.

The backlock on my new native 5 Maxamet is the best backlock I've got yet from Spyderco. They make a damn good backlock!

Should I maybe try loosening my pivot abit? I can manage to flick the blade open with my thumb or middle finger but the action is kind of slow. It seems to me like most the resistance is coming from the lockbar depressing on the tang of the blade, rather than the pivot being too tight.

Should I maybe try loosening my pivot abit? I can manage to flick the blade open with my thumb or middle finger but the action is kind of slow. It seems to me like most the resistance is coming from the lockbar depressing on the tang of the blade, rather than the pivot being too tight.

Nope, just use it. I think it's more to do with muscle memory and hand strength. I just gifted a Stretch to my brother to replace his lost Endura. I can do the same damn thing with all of them.

I accepted your flipping challenge :)
On a road trip right now, this house I'm staying in is in the moving process.. And the blade didn't touch my fingers at the end. It might look like that. :)

Dig it. That's not a Delica, is it?

Idk my waved Endura is pretty smooth but no where near as smooth as some of those videos. Cleaning out the pivot helps but it still isn't that smooth. I guess I'll keep effing with it and hopefull it'll smooth out more. Either way I love this knife. The waved Endura is just one of the best knives.

Dig it. That's not a Delica, is it?
Its mantra. It fills my hand a little better. Feels close to delica. The blade it's a bit thicker too and nice when you put your thumb on the jimping. More comfortable for heavier duty tasks. Picked one up here on these forums, was a great deal. The lockbar looks tiny and frail on pictures, but in hand its really solid with somewhat deep, secure lockup. Oh yeah has a flipper too, overkill :thumbsup:

Its slick i put some tape on it. Gotta figure something out with this one to add a bit traction. Also I'm going to make the blade have a straighter spine so it looks more like delica or pm2 blade shape. With a bit of a drop. Something like this
IMG_20170427_100041231_HDR_zps9jhydmnb.jpg

Last edited:
You guys are pretty slick! I don't really have the need to close a knife fast so I haven't developed the skill.

Back