BK29 in 50?

Congrats. Not much you can't accomplish with that group.

It arrived. Suddenly my KA-BAR/Becker collection has doubled in size.

Each knife has different penetration into the log, so don't use this image to compare the overall size of each knife.
uc

A few quick thoughts on each knife.

Snoody Snake Charmer
- Not as polished as I would have liked.
- Sharp enough, but not stupid sharp like I would have expected
- The sheath is a bit unusual, but I like it.
- Seems good for light use, but like any bare metal neck knife it wouldn't be comfortable for hard use or using it for a long period of time. Gloves would definitely help though.

BK5
- Everyone seems to describe it as small or light in the hands. My first thought was that it is a big knife. Just not as heavy as the bk9.
- Seems like a decent all arounder, I think it will be my standard hiking knife. Lighter than the BK9, but more capable than the standard KA-BAR. Can do a little bit of everything.
- The knife wiggles in the sheath, just like my BK9. :(
- Sheath design is slightly different than the one that came with my BK9. Features seem to be a bit better, but I honestly never cared for that type of sheath.
- Seems like it would be the best of the bunch for stabbing something if it ever came to that.

BK29
- Definitely larger than my BK9. The box seems like it could have fit a small sword.
- No wiggle while it's in the sheath!
- Not as thick as you would expect. The spine is beveled, and the whole rest of the blade has a slow bevel down to the final grind (Not sure of the terminology). So there is only a very thin part of the blade that is the full 1/4 inch thick, plus the handle
- Feels like it would be a good chopper, but not that much better than the BK9. I didn't feel like dirtying it up so I never got a chance to really compare the two though.
- I much prefer the way the clip is shaped compared to the BK9. The clip point on the BK9 is too sharp. Makes it better for stabbing I guess, but makes it worse for batoning. The BK29 has a much wider edge that won't chew up your batoning stick as much.
- Not as sharp as I would have liked.
I agree about the 5 and the 29, though the charmer wouldn't fit on my gloved hand. So the 9 is still King?! I wish I hadn't missed the 20/4/5 bundle, as I like larger integral guards (like the 7, 20 and a awful lot of high end combat knives)

Warrior I'm still not used to that bright red mod flag up there. Draws the eye right to it lol. Congrats again Brother:thumbsup:
Thanks man. Seems weird for me too, tbh.

Integral guards? Are you referring to the jimping?
I first heard the term on a discussion about the difference between the bundok and the Moses bowie. Might have been on Kabar's website. It means that the steel profile of the blade has a protrusion in the area where the finger meets sharp edge. Compare the 20 to the 29, or the 9 to the 7 and you'll see it.

I first heard the term on a discussion about the difference between the bundok and the Moses bowie. Might have been on Kabar's website. It means that the steel profile of the blade has a protrusion in the area where the finger meets sharp edge. Compare the 20 to the 29, or the 9 to the 7 and you'll see it.

Yep I see it. Extends just below the scale:thumbsup:

Sometimes you don't realize you needed one till your trigger finger hits blunt steel or razor sharp. Yet another reason to go micarta on the scales. Funny thing is, I thought that was the main reason people seem to prefer the bundok (besides the 9'shaped clip) until I realized that you either didn't notice or didn't much care!

Never had a problem with Beckers, but cold steel and Ontario often leave kraton only over the guard, no metal where metal should be, and if fixing it require too much effort I won't buy the knife. I fit a guard over the gen 2 sp50 then glued the handles back on and to me it's vastly improved. Hasn't seemed to affect the strength of the knife so far. But haven't been able to find more of those guards for the sp51 and sp53. 1/4" (slot size) guards are hard to find. My Snody big boss deserved a guard, and got one out of brass, even if the angle at the union isn't square (that area is a rounded choil) may stress that area of the knife, it's only a backup for my bk9, rtak2, and rd9. After adding a hatchet I don't have space for carrying anything fancy like a tent, or sleeping bag but I like it that way, knives are just too important

"VICTORY! Your order is now complete."

Yes Sir, MoBo is on the way with some steely friends...Magnum, Charmer and even their pirate buddy, Swabbie is along for the voyage!

Me too, getting another swabbie with the bundle! Maybe even a death dagger for $25 next time!

Congrats on the new blade. This may sounds blasphemes, but I am not feeling the need to get a BK29 at this point. I am sure the 3 BK20 sets I have are playing a small part in that feeling. I'm sure as soon as they sell-out, my feelings will change.

I missed out on the bk20's but just saw one on the bay with g10 handles and custom kydex/leather sheath, st bid $250. Seems worth it at ~250, unfortunately I won't have funds for a week or two

Austexjg, yeah, if you've got three 20's you're good to go you lucky dog!! :)

Yonose, congrats to you on another 29 set and Swabbie! This will be my first Swabbie, how do you like yours? Have you used it much? I have seen some great looking mods done to it.

Back