"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

You definitely should, wonderful country, food and scenery for sure~
I should probably hurry, while it's still there! :eek:

It's just a wish - I don't have the money to be doing any traveling like that. I'll just listen to the music and watch the occasional K-drama instead.

I dare say, I'll catch up eventually, but so far I'm absolutely HATING the changes - :barf: as they used to say! What ARE these darn things?!
clear.png
(Seems :mad: doesn't even work!) Clunky as it comes, and looks REAL ugly. If I wandered across this site for the first time, and saw how it looks, I don't think I'd be back (oops, we're missing another icon)!
clear.png

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but sadly the more I use it, the more I agree. Sure, there are some good things about the new software that we didn't have before, but there are also too many instances of "wasn't broke, shouldn't have 'fixed' it" and "not as good as it was before." Right now the thing that's annoying me most is the compressed quotes when quoting anything longer than a couple lines, and the tiny photos in quotes. I understand that it saves space, but I hate it. :mad: I don't want to have to click and click and click to expand quotes/photos in order to have to get the context for what's being said by the person doing the quoting.

I just got some interesting news today. My wife has been complaining about not feeling herself for the last couple of weeks. Today she called to say that she was going to stop at the pharmacy on the way home and that she might have to make a doctor's appointment. When she got home she ran straight to the bathroom and came out with a positive pregnancy test. :eek: Now, the little girl in my avatar was supposed to be our youngest, so we've been trying to wrap our heads around this idea. It's early on, and false positives have happened in the past, but she's never been wrong about a bun in the oven before so I'm inclined to believe that this is for real. It's way too early to share the news with friends and family, so I guess this is my way of releasing a bit without getting in trouble for opening my yap.

Anyways, just needed to get that off my chest somewhere. This seems like as good a place as any. Harry, if you read this and see my parents I'd appreciate some discretion. You're the only one here that I think I'd have to worry about. Not that you're a gossip, you're just more likely to run into somebody I know than somebody like Jack or Alan seeing as how they're thousands of miles away. ;)

Not that you're a gossip, you're just more likely to run into somebody I know than somebody like Jack or Alan seeing as how they're thousands of miles away. ;)

I'll keep it off the front page of The Yorkshire Post for now my friend ;) Keep us posted, and hope all goes well :)

I noticed that a number of members, including myself, are unable to send or receive what used to be called 'PM's because, owing to the changes in the system, their inboxes are currently classed as full (mine was 108% full!). So, this might be a good time to get rid of a few 'conversations', as they now appear to be called. Unfortunately, you no longer seem to be able to download anything :(

Also seems I now need to take a course in Gobbledegook to understand this site :thumbsdown: (I do appreciate the thumbs :thumbsup:). Not sure I have time for that (there doesn't appear to be an icon for my feelings on that one).

I feel you jack, I tried to post a picture I have stored in photoschmucket (which appears to be working effectively and swiftly for once - how ironic) and had nothing but the URL text appear on screen without the picture, the URL didn't even work.

I'll be off the Porch for a few day's starting tomorrow evening as I'm off to Charlotte for surgery on Thursday. I'll be in the hospital a week or two then a few weeks recovery time at home. Good news is I should be up and going for the summer. Just thought I'd let you know since several of you have been enquiring with PM's.

I feel you jack, I tried to post a picture I have stored in photoschmucket (which appears to be working effectively and swiftly for once - how ironic) and had nothing but the URL text appear on screen without the picture, the URL didn't even work.

Thanks Paul, sorry to be so negative, but I think the site is an absolute mess
clear.png
I've just been trying to post some pics of the Arthur Wright factory. First I had to find the thread - the 'search' function is awful, and there's now no link to previous posted threads on your profile page (not that I can find anyway). After 30 minutes trying to post, I just gave up in the end. I love this site because of the great people who post here, but currently I'm finding it an absolutely awful experience :thumbsdown:

I'll be off the Porch for a few day's starting tomorrow evening as I'm off to Charlotte for surgery on Thursday.

Good luck with everything Randy, wishing you a speedy recovery :thumbsup:

Thanks Paul, sorry to be so negative, but I think the site is an absolute mess
clear.png
I've just been trying to post some pics of the Arthur Wright factory. First I had to find the thread - the 'search' function is awful, and there's now no link to previous posted threads on your profile page (not that I can find anyway). After 30 minutes trying to post, I just gave up in the end. I love this site because of the great people who post here, but currently I'm finding it an absolutely awful experience :thumbsdown:

Good luck with everything Randy, wishing you a speedy recovery :thumbsup:
Best wishes for both Randy and Bob. Get to feeling better, guys!

Jack, Go to your Profile Page/Information Tab/ it shows as "content by..."
I spent Sunday afternoon and evening exploring the new site. Some things are still there, just in a different place and a different name. Other stuff (like the ability to download messages before deleting them) are not. :mad:

Also, I recommend the "Flat Awesome" style option for viewing. It's much clearer to read.

... there's now no link to previous posted threads on your profile page (not that I can find anyway). ...
Jack, FWIW on your profile page under the "Information" tab, there's a link to the threads you've started, as well as a link to ALL of your posts. It looks like both of these links also appear at the bottom of the page under the "Postings" tab.

I was initially VERY discouraged with my ability to function on the new site, but many of my complaints have already been addressed. The "Flat Awesome+" style option makes the site LOOK much like it did, with sans serif font (my strong preference for sites like this), colored strips demarking post boundaries, posting time and post number at START of post. And thumb icons are back, which means a lot to me! Some search options have been "fixed" since the site first came up, too. (Inability to download/archive conversations/PMs is a MAJOR shortcoming, if in fact it's a "feature" of the site rather than ignorance on my part.)

- GT

Thanks all for your well wishes.

First I hate Windows 10 and being for the most part computer illiterate I could not no matter what I did resize pictures to fit here. I spent at least two hours trying to learn how to post pictures from Imgur. When I finally did I thought how stupid am I that was simple. Here is the sun coming up over the mountains this morning from my back deck.

cEuSB6L.jpg

Last edited:
Jack, Go to your Profile Page/Information Tab/ it shows as "content by..."
I spent Sunday afternoon and evening exploring the new site. Some things are still there, just in a different place and a different name. Other stuff (like the ability to download messages before deleting them) are not. :mad:

Also, I recommend the "Flat Awesome" style option for viewing. It's much clearer to read.

Thanks r8shell, that's very helpful
clear.png
Currently, I'm set to 'Flat Awesome + (BETA)'.

Jack, FWIW on your profile page under the "Information" tab, there's a link to the threads you've started, as well as a link to ALL of your posts. It looks like both of these links also appear at the bottom of the page under the "Postings" tab.

I was initially VERY discouraged with my ability to function on the new site, but many of my complaints have already been addressed. The "Flat Awesome+" style option makes the site LOOK much like it did, with sans serif font (my strong preference for sites like this), colored strips demarking post boundaries, posting time and post number at START of post. And thumb icons are back, which means a lot to me! Some search options have been "fixed" since the site first came up, too. (Inability to download/archive conversations/PMs is a MAJOR shortcoming, if in fact it's a "feature" of the site rather than ignorance on my part.)

Thanks GT, much appreciated
clear.png
I already raised the issue of downloading PMs in 'Tech', but that feature has been discontinued, for now at least. I find posting very problematic, and miss search functions such as the ability to simply right-click on a particular thread, see a list of posters, and click again to find a particular post, it was very simply and efficient. Likewise the ability to search within a thread efficiently. Maybe I'll re-learn how to do some of these things again, and all the new language being used, but I come on here to relax, and try and fit it round my work :( I'm glad to see the 'thumbs' back, but dislike the look of most of the emoticons :( And where's the $%£&*£$%& 'grumpy' icon?!

Thanks all for your well wishes.

First I hate Windows 10 and being for the most part computer illiterate I could not no matter what I did resize pictures to fit here. I spent at least two hours trying to learn how to post pictures from Imgur. When I finally did I thought how stupid am I that was simple. Here is the sun coming up over the mountains this morning from my back deck.

View attachment 698310
Beautiful sunrise, Randy! :cool:

When I first joined BF and was trying to figure out how to post pictures, I found instructions somewhere (a sticky from Mr. Benjamin??) on how to use imgur and thought, "That doesn't LOOK like it should be too hard." And I was surprised at how easy it was for even me to learn! :rolleyes:

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery! :thumbsup: I'll certainly add you, your family, and your medical team to my prayer list that's "triggered" by the literal EDC Sodbuster Jr I won in Bob's GAW a couple of years ago. I hope the procedure is effective and you'll be back on The Porch ASAP!

- GT

Back