Coffee

Barman1, Thanks for encouragement. I also go through 1 cup of beans a day( 1 pot)."Free shipping over 50 bucks".....thats right. Have you had these kind yet?(2 1/2# of Hawaiian Kona Blend and 2 1/2# of Jamaican Blue Mountain Style)

I haven't had those from CBD yet.
A market near me opened recently and they carry some decent varieties so I haven't ordered online for a while.
As soon as I get bored with theirs I'll give those a try.

Danny P, This morning I ordered 5# of coffee from Coffee Bean Direct. I'll let you know how their roasted beans are(2 1/2# of Hawaiian Kona Blend and 2 1/2# of Jamaican Blue Mountain Style). Thanks for bringing them to my attention.

The Brazilian Santos that I sent you was from the sampler pack of unroasted beans I got from them. They have all seemed to be of good quality so far. I would imagine that their roasted beans should be good also. Looking forward to hearing your opinion.

New Moka Java...

IMAG1604.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad you like the Kenya I also thought it was really good, just opened the Sulawesi today! It's smoooooth seems closely related to Sumatra but stands well on it's own, it had a really solid medium body with kind of an earthy note but not dirty, do like :)

That Sulawesi (and one other previously) really reminded me a lot of several Nicaraguan coffees I've had, so thought you might like it.

I opened the Blue Bottle stuff last night. It might be the best coffee I have had. Just wonderful stuff!!! Thank you Mr. Thompson!!

Blue bottle does some good stuff, but they're a bit pricey. I've been to their cafe by the SF mint a couple of times. I think that location is one of their first, if not THE first. If you're ever in the area, it's worth a stop. They have a siphon line set up that's pretty cool! :thumbup:

Anybody get some new stuff?

Nope. Still trying to finish off what green I've got left. Getting closer, only about 12 pounds left... :D

ETA - Here's a good pic of the siphons, next to the cold brew towers.

blue_bottle_0002-718x403.jpg

And the siphons separately:

8146488ba8daad1dcf521c91f78e0913ab63cb4a-x425.jpg

Last edited:
That is a beautiful shop. I do wish at times there was a more sophisticated coffee scene where I'm at. You have to pander to your demographics desires (when you run a shop/want to be financially successful) and here it's all about the white mochas and blended drinks. I might have one person a month even mention pour overs, let alone things like siphons, ristretto shots, microlot coffees. On that note I just got my hands on a 72kg bag of Tanzanian Peaberry that I'm excited to roast. Notes of milk chocolate, nuts, and hops. Starting with my base profile (I roast the first batch of everything to the exact same degree) I should be able to build something interesting. The energy dump with this bean is a little bit different than what I usually see, and the density of the bean is also lower than I would have thought. Should be fun.

Roasted another pound of coffee tonight! :D About 1/3# of an Ethiopian espresso blend, and 2/3# of a Nicaraguan that I didn't know I had, lol (it wasn't in my database list). A bit over 11 pounds of green left. ;)

Y'shua, I enjoy peaberry coffees. They are always a bit of a question mark when it comes to roasting though. Good luck!

Roasted another pound of coffee tonight! :D About 1/3# of an Ethiopian espresso blend, and 2/3# of a Nicaraguan that I didn't know I had, lol (it wasn't in my database list). A bit over 11 pounds of green left. ;)

Y'shua, I enjoy peaberry coffees. They are always a bit of a question mark when it comes to roasting though. Good luck!

Here's some of that ^^^ Ethiopian Espresso. :D Yum!!! :thumbup:

Busse Boney Active Duty (BAD) in Black G10. Thin slicer, hardened a bit extra to 60-62 RC. :cool:

Looks good! I've never really paid much attention to Busse, but the knife looks great also and seems like it would be more practical than most of the stuff I've seen posted. This week I've been using up the rest of the Colombian Supremo that I had. I still have some of the Mzuzu left and Tanzanian Peaberry to try out.

This video popped up in my 'recommended' Youtube feed. I didn't realize Black Rifle Coffee Co. had their own channel.
[video=youtube;idbuOVEeYCo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idbuOVEeYCo[/video]

Got a couple bags of beans from a friend today!
The Mississippi Mud medium roast espresso (note the color of this espresso roast) is exceptional...even though I used an Aeropress rather than my defunct espresso machine.
I need to stop buying knives for a while and save up for a proper machine.
I miss my crema... [emoji26]
df9aff26d0da7d47ff0162514b6a1fcd.jpg

ce89197ea39df00cba2b2a064d076a92.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Just got 3 lbs of single estate Nicaraguan delivered today. This stuff put out a serious amount of chaff. It started while the beans were still green in color and at one point it almost looked like it was snowing.:D It's worth the mess, though.
2017-03-23_08-06-30 by Daniel Pfeiffer, on Flickr

Last edited:
I roasted some more of the Nicaraguan today. I like it. It has good flavor without being overly acidic.
2017-03-26_01-38-09 by Daniel Pfeiffer, on Flickr

I know it's probably been discussed before, but does anybody here use the Clever Dripper? It seems like it offers the best parts of a french press and regular filter cone combined into one. I'll probably pick one up to try out anyway since they are inexpensive, but just curious on other peoples thoughts about them.

Never tried it, but I've seen it around. I have to much brewing gear as is. Between tea and coffee it's a space killer. Are you drinking your coffee right after you roast it without letting it de-gas?

Sometimes I might have one cup afterwards, but usually I leave it rest overnight at a minimum.

Gotcha. I always de-gas mine for two days, then use it within 7. I had one that change so drastically from fresh roasted to 2 day that I thought my employees were messing with me haha.

Back