CONTEST: win a FireSteel just by answering a question...

Which would you prefer?

• Higher quality at a higher price?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • User-grade at a lower price?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
-----------------------------------------------
*********CONTEST OVER**********
-----------------------------------------------

If you had to choose between the two....which would you rather have?

Higher quality at a higher price? (see note 1)

or user-grade at an affordable price? (see note 2)

note 1 = Includes materials, methods, "little things" and so on that a knifemaker might do to make things nicer or more desirable; wait might be longer, but would be worth it.

note 2 = function first, looks second. If it cuts, it cuts. Less wait time...not as fine of a finish...but good ergonomics.

I need as many responses as I can get - hence the contest. I hope I did not sway anyone with my choices above. I want your honest-to-goodness preferences. Don't worry about what I might "want to hear".

Comments are always welcome, of course. :thumbup:

This contest will end whenever I feel like ending it. :p
(probably by Wed/Thurs)

Dan

Last edited:
I would rather have user grade at a lower price. If I had a work of art, I would be scared to use it. I am not saying I want a piece of junk, but in my opinion, your worst work is still leaps and bounds above most folks best work. Thanks Dan.
Andy

Option 1 - You get what you pay for. Quality doesn't come cheap. Cheap isn't usually quality.

We purchase from knifemakers because we value their expertise and skills. If we just want a sharp object to cut with, any utility type knife would fit the bill.

great responses...thanks!

Just to be clear....I'm not trying to compare high-end custom knives like Jerry Fisk's fighters....with low-end beaters like a Mora. :foot:

Think more middle of the road.

Like a $100 user vs. a $250 custom

:thumbup:

Dan

did my best to change it, markksr...can't edit the poll though..

I like 'user grade' knives. I want some good steel, with comfortable and intelligent ergonomics. I don't necessarily want something with bells and whistles, or even with refinement. Just solid function.

Option 2 Dan. I would much rather have function over beauty any day. I enjoyed chatting with you at Blade and have already started using the 1095 nessie in red G-10 I purchased and I love it. Cant wait for my kit nessie. Keith

A knife is a tool. I appreciate a fine work of art just as much as the next guy but the form and function are what impress me more. I want a quality blade that will perform its duties more than a drawer queen.

Don't get me wrong I still want a pretty knife from you so don't even think about giving that up! But for the sake of this thread I say user grade at an affordable price.

By the way, if you have any extra bushcrafts in O1 I'll take it. I already placed an order for a more specific one but want one ASAP to keep me busy!

Last edited:
I see everyones point, I totaly agree on function first. However I voted quality at a higher price. I rather have a stronger steel than average, I am also a sucker for a contoured handle. The blade can cut like a champ, but if I am not comfortable using it, it stays home.

The blade can cut like a champ, but if I am not comfortable using it, it stays home.

This point is paramount, IMO. Ergonomics are as important as the edge. I just included them as part of the functionality, not as something that the maker would charge extra for.

i think i would like higher quality at a higher price. if i am getting it custom made, and i avoid the bells and whistles, then the knife will be used even more as a user. by that i mean that i will trust the knife to be made better than others and will be willing to use it for more tasks. it will last longer than the lower grade knife.

now if i want a bunch of cool details, then yeah, i want those details to be done VERY well. i wouldnt be to inclined to use it then because of the detail, but thats just me.

as an illustration of the above point, i give the Sebenza. if you want a great user without the bells and whistles, then just get the plain Seb. if you want the same great quality, then CRK offers all those amazing handle patterns, that wont take away from the usability, but may make some not want to use it. either way, like above, you get an excellent knife, a knife that will last longer than others reguardless, or a knife that will not only last longer, but will look great too.

granted i am not against option number two, i just like/prefer option one better :D

1 - Higher quality/price

If function/cost were the only criterion, I'd probably have a box cutter, a mora, and a bargain hatchet. That combo being less than my Nessmuk sheath.

Cost is important - I want a good value. But if I'm going to the trouble of getting a hand made knife, I want a few functional bells and whistles - good service, an honest warranty, minor design modifications (striker tip, thicker handles, more contour, grind choice, handle material and color, etc.), good quality control (hand inspection to high standards before shipping).

If you're looking for user quality/high value, then mid-tech or production collaboration seems to be the way to go. If you can do enough volume, then this drives the cost way down. Major drawback seems to be quality control. High quality in a small factory seems to run as much as custom (see Chris Reeve, Busse Combat; RAT might be a counterexample).

I'm also very patient, and willing to wait for a knife that's built to my specs.

#1 but not a focus on "pretty", focus on quality! Offer the best steel with great grinds and make them tough as nails.

I voted higher at higher price....my philosophy is that I will pay more for someone who sweats over his product, stands behind it, delivers in a timely fashion, etc., rather than a faceless big box store reaping the benefit. It is why almost all my current knives are customs I have purchased here on BF.

#1 as said before you get what you pay for. The wait is worth it when you are holding it in your hands and you can proudly say ...ya This is a Dan Koster :cool:

What can I say, I'm a cheap skate! Although I have learned that you get what you pay for. I spent a majority of my life buying knives from walmart's shelves, but have learned that a better knife comes with more money. That being said, I would be afraid to spend several hundreds of dollars on a beautiful work of art that might not hold up as well as a work horse. Give me high quality at a fair price any day.

I voted #1. I like file work. I like a really good fit, no glue spots,

But I still have beaters that I'll never part with.... Knives that my hands no longer fit.

Higher quality, higher price gets my vote. I don't take simple, clean design with excellent fit and finish for granted. I'm an advocate for paying for this talent.

Back