CONTEST: win a FireSteel just by answering a question...

Which would you prefer?

• Higher quality at a higher price?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • User-grade at a lower price?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Dan

Isn't this somewhat like what you're doing now with the pass around Bushmaster..two knives same knife steel though different handle material and tapering on one ( I'm sure they would reflect two different prices ). All the knives I have from you ..1.. bushcraft in 3v and a Koster Kit on the way.. I chose because I wanted a really good user that could be taken practically in any environment. And when the Bushmaster comes available I'd probably order one with a tapered tang and wood handles because it's takes it up a notch.."bell's and whistles" if this is the right term.To me I'd rather have a choice between a premium steel and a user steel and if you throw at me a couple of "dressy add-ons" that would be cool too.

Boggs

"Hold Fast"

I'd take the user. However you mentioned $ 100 versus $ 250. While the $ 250 custom would be nice, I thing you can build a quality knife for less. I would consider paying up to, say $ 175 for a really good quality user.

User grade, I hate beating on a custom. Did you stop by the Busse booth while you were at BLADE? Their Competition Grade knives were getting some attention.

I'd like to see a budget line - that's why I jumped at the kit blades. Spend money where it counts, on good steel and the heat treat, then save some on finishing costs. Shotgun makers have their "field grade" guns, why not you? You could still do snazzy models for people that wanted them.

I won't buy a knife unless I intend to use it....so, affordable user. all the way.

Affordable user. I like using my knives, so something that is more affordable and a little less pretty would be something I would prefer.

There's room for both, as I see it. I think Dan's knives are already there, because a "basic" model is mostly the same knife as one that's got upgrades like exotic wood or whatnot. I think I'm in the user category, and I value functional quality over mirror-polished blades and mosaic pins. Those things are beautiful, but they have less (or different) value to me than to a collector. I like exotic wood and all the options Dan offers and I would not advocate getting rid of them! However, their importance is secondary to me, as I'm not looking to spend money on a museum piece. I'm after good steel, comfortable handles, precise workmanship, and a price that's fair compensation for the time and effort spent putting it all together. If I have to spend more money to get that, I will. If I can get those things at a lower price by sacrificing items that only make the knife pretty, that's what I'll choose. Maybe that puts me in the higher price/higher quality category, maybe not.

Value for me! I am am a saver, so I like the performance without the price.

I like a good user grade knife for an affordable price. I just think if it were too expensive I wouldnt use it, and I use all my blades I keep.

I think affordable is open to interpretation however. You dont want to cut corners so much that it affects the final product. I will always pay more for a knife that will last, and I dont have to replace it after a few hard uses. Ideally you should find a comfortable middle, which I think you have done already, as I have 2 of your knives and cant believe they didnt cost me more.....

I voted #2. I don't buy safe queens and all of mine are meant to be users. I appreciate a fine knife, but I still use my nicer ones.

I'm always looking for a quality knife at a fair price. I'm also not patient enough to wait 6 months, a year, etc. for a knife. I want my immediate satisfaction, although it is nice to forget you ordered something a year ago and receive it from Big Brown. Christmas all over again.

I think we need one more category -- High quality material ( I.E. cmp3v & cmpd2 ) with a user grade finnish.
function and reliability over looks...:)

User for me also, while I like to look at safe queens I will not have one if I cannot use it. I can also personally not touch a highend customs cost, and really if I could, would still not. I would rather have 3-4 mid range knives over one high end custom.

There should be a quality user selection, myself I will rarely go over around $150 on a blade depending on what I'm getting of course. If I'm getting a really big blade things change, but for a normal for me knife, bushcraft and the like, $150 or so is my personal limit within reason.

I voted higher quality at a higher price. I keep reading "custom" on alot of these threads and I don't want custom per se, but I like the features and steels and handle materials that warrant a higher price. So, my vote is not for customs but fro the extra features and materials that warrant paying more.

Pete

Higher quality at a higher price. Show off your skills! Make the users kit knives completed by the user to thier desired level of fit and finish...

Just voted without reading:grumpy:
I prefer higher grade products. I don't care so much time and money if it worthy.:)
I would have the choice between one better grade and one utility grade:D
I voted higher quality at a higher price. I keep reading "custom" on alot of these threads and I don't want custom per se, but I like the features and steels and handle materials that warrant a higher price. So, my vote is not for customs but fro the extra features and materials that warrant paying more.

Pete
Perfect!!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

User for sure. You have such a large customer base right now, it'd be a shame to cut back on your production just to make more fancy blades. I'm guessing most of your customers are users more than collectors, especially for the bush blades you put out.

Back