Couple of Pics

And I see DJ is back!

As DJ said, sure can kill you, and at least do tremendous tissue damage. Seen a buddy of mine make the mistake of messing with one and before it was all over his hand was swollen beyond recognition, the flesh was black, and there was serious consideration for amputation.

And on the other hand (hahaha...see what I did there?), I had a friend bitten on his ankle on a night hike. Turns out the snake bit him but didn't inject venom - a "dry" bite. I didn't realize they could do this. Of course we didn't know at the time, had him helicoptered out, and began dividing up his stuff...(just kidding).

I received a bite on the lower leg from a very large copperhead that was mostly a dry bite but very painful. Same with a Timber on the hand that was a dry bite. If a Timber envenomates, you are in for a bad day. They are very docile and fragile but statistically, a bad bite could easily be a death sentence. They have a combo venom that is nasty neurologically and reeks havoc on the hematological system.

I received a bite on the lower leg from a very large copperhead that was mostly a dry bite but very painful. Same with a Timber on the hand that was a dry bite. If a Timber envenomates, you are in for a bad day. They are very docile and fragile but statistically, a bad bite could easily be a death sentence. They have a combo venom that is nasty neurologically and reeks havoc on the hematological system.

Remind me to avoid hanging out with you if you ever return to Trackrock. The snake pics, spiders, and now this! Copperhead and Timber bites! To hell with all that. I'll just keep you as an internet friend...

Hahaha. Just kidding. But Phillip is NOT going to enjoy reading this post.

Legitimate question here D DYSPHORIC JOY Luca917 Luca917 :

I'm not "afraid" of snakes but I don't cuddle them either. If I wanted to start small and catch a garter, how would I begin? (Give me directions like you are talking to a three year old).:p

Remind me to avoid hanging out with you if you ever return to Trackrock. The snake pics, spiders, and now this! Copperhead and Timber bites! To hell with all that. I'll just keep you as an internet friend...

Hahaha. Just kidding. But Phillip is NOT going to enjoy reading this post.
You just live across the hollar from me so I am sure some of these creatures that I move out of my yard are crawling your way.

Schmittie,
Start by studying identification books until your eyes cross. Then review them again.

Start with small fellows and "scoop" them up VS grabbing. control their movement by allowing them to wind through your fingers rather than pinching them.

Grabbing from top down mimics a birds talons. Animals do not understand intent- they see either food, threat or an inanimate object.

I never dealt with hots but bred colubrids for years and spent years picking up wild snakes, worst thing that usually happens is a nasty musking :)

Bill

There aren't any Fiddlebacks in the video but some cool southeastern, nonvenomous reptiles. Video is an interview my son did with Joe but never posted. Feel free to delete since not Fiddleback or just watch the reptile part.
If you don't know Joe @Joezilla you won't be able to follow the premise of the video. He is an avid herper and gear designer.
Also, some excellent pointers for VANCE VANCE :D

Last edited:
D
There aren't any Fiddlebacks in the video but some cool southeastern, nonvenomous reptiles. Video is an interview my son did with Joe but never posted. Feel free to delete since not Fiddleback or just watch the reptile part.
If you don't know Joe you won't be able to follow the premise of the video. He is an avid herper and gear designer.

DJ is BACK!

If you don't know Joe you won't be able to follow the premise of the video. He is an avid herper and gear designer.

Plus, he is a certified cook. LOL

Back