CRKT Hi Jinx - Ken Onion Design - Made by LionSteel

RamZar

Gold Member
As seen on page 54 of the August 2014 issue of Blade Magazine.

Specifications:

• Overall Length: 8.10"
  • Blade Length: 3.32"
  • Blade Material: Sleipner
  • Blade Rockwell: 60-61HRC
  • Opening Mechanism: Flipper
  • Lock: Frame Lock
  • Closed Length: 4.78"
  • Weight: 6.40 oz.
  • Country of Origin: Italy

1c73fa7a-57ca-4263-992f-92d51d2d521e_zps8680970a.jpg

The new CRKT Hi Jinx design is based on Ken Onion's "Old Scallywag" custom folder. This collaboration features a Bohler-Uddeholm Sleipner steel blade with a titanium frame lock. IKBS bearings have been used to make this one of the smoothest flippers to hit the market. This model will be produced in italy, and is one of the first high-end knives developed for the CRKT line.

Last edited:
Interesting. It could be manufactured for CRKT by Lionsteel. But whether it is or not, it's far too big and heavy to qualify as a "gentleman's" knife in my view.

I wouldn't characterize it as a Gentleman's folder either. Curious to see if it's a solid/integral one-piece frame! Doesn't look like it with the handle screws at the bottom!

Last edited:
Interesting and looks a bit like the ZT 0770s.

But I have to wonder what CRKT is thinking with that msrp of $500!

Recently, CRKT came up with the Buy Tighe for their 20th Anniversary commemoration knife. Limited to "only" 500 made for $750 MSRP!!

If it is made by Lionsteel then it's certainly worth more than one look!

If it is made by Lionsteel then it's certainly worth more than one look!

Absolutely and it's the saving grace. I'm sure it'll be silky smooth and a quality piece if it's made by LionSteel. I just wish it was a one-piece frame like LionSteel is famous for. There are no production monoblock integral flippers.

Absolutely and it's the saving grace. I'm sure it'll be silky smooth and a quality piece if it's made by LionSteel. I just wish it was a one-piece frame like LionSteel is famous for. There are no production monoblock integral flippers.

Indeed, and September is quite a ways away. I wonder what they will announce at Blade. Gianni mentioned they would announce something LE and expensive.

I have no real interest in this model, but I think it's exciting to see CRKT stepping up to the plate, so to speak. I hope it sells well and encourages them to continue to subcontract with LionSteel, or even with other, solid Italian manufacturers.

I have no real interest in this model, but I think it's exciting to see CRKT stepping up to the plate, so to speak. I hope it sells well and encourages them to continue to subcontract with LionSteel, or even with other, solid Italian manufacturers.

Well said - thanks.

I agree. Problem is, it's awfully plain-Jane looking for a folder that costs as much as it does. There's just nothing particularly attractive about it. I'm sure it has some redeeming features given its price. But unless there's something that really makes it stand out, it's not much more than another expensive pocket brick to me.

Once it's known that it's made by LionSteel those who know LionSteel may pick one up due to the quality and nice flipper. This was the reason for me to pick up DPx Gear, Blackwater, Dendra, Bastinelli, Pohl Force and Knife Research. Fox is another great Italian knifemaker out of Maniago but they cover a different sector and mostly put out liner locks in N690.

Unfortunately, a CRKT with a $500 MSRP is more akin to a VW Phaeton with BMW and MBZ pricing. The quality is there but people won't pay that kind of pricing for a bland VW. You're better off with a luxury / upscale division like Toyota did with Lexus or even KAI with ZT.

Looking at the steel and the butt-stud (for want of a better word), I'm sure this will be made by Lionsteel and be a good knife. However, I'm not sure how many people will pay around $300 (likely street price) for something with a massive CRKT logo on the blade, especially not if they can get a ZT 0801 or (probably) Spyderco Slysz Bowie for considerably less.

For my personal tastes, it also seems a bit heavy, and has the annoying Ken Onion nose at the front of the handle that adds to length and weight and hinders use and sharpening of the last 1/4" of blade.

However, I'm not sure how many people will pay around $300 (likely street price) for something with a massive CRKT logo on the blade, especially not if they can get a ZT 0801 or (probably) Spyderco Slysz Bowie for considerably less.

$300 street price is 40% off of the $500 MSRP which I doubt. I think it'll be higher than that and closer to $400 which makes it an even tougher sell being labelled a CRKT.

The CRKT 20th Anniversary knife will be around for a very long time because at a current street price of $650 (MSRP $750) and 500 made there are not that many takers.

Last edited:
That's true on the 20th Anniversary knife. But it's really unique with its double Klecker lock design and its association with Brian Tighe. Keep in mind that you'd pay nearly twice as much for a full custom Buy Tighe from Brian. I'd be much more likely to purchase a Buy Tighe than a Hi Jinx based on originality alone.

One thing to keep in mind is that flipper fanatics should be eyeing this one. CRKT has an extensive history of making impressive flippers and with the machining expertise and tolerances LionSteel brings to the table, I've gotta think the action on this will be near-perfect.

One thing to keep in mind is that flipper fanatics should be eyeing this one. CRKT has an extensive history of making impressive flippers . . .

Yep. I've got a Ripple and an Eros and they're both flippin' fools. Hat's off to CRKT for bringing bearing pivots to the masses! :thumbup:

Yep. I've got a Ripple and an Eros and they're both flippin' fools. Hat's off to CRKT for bringing bearing pivots to the masses! :thumbup:

Amen to that. Heck, my Eraser doesn't have the bearing pivot, but it flips effortlessly. I would love to see a Liong Mah/CRKT/LionSteel collaboration.

Amen to that. Heck, my Eraser doesn't have the bearing pivot, but it flips effortlessly. I would love to see a Liong Mah/CRKT/LionSteel collaboration.

What an excellent idea. However; if we keep it to just Liong Mah and Lionsteel, the equation improves!

This is a pretty impressive offering, I'm actually fairly interested in this one, but the price and weight are both too high for my tastes, back burner want list for me I think.

Back