CRKT Hi Jinx - Ken Onion Design - Made by LionSteel

Received mines today. Serial #308. Although it is 6 ounces, I don't think I mind it that much when it is in hand but in the pocket you can definitely feel the weight.

My lockbar is sticky as well. The flipper action is good but it seems like the more more I flip it the better it becomes. Build quality and fit and finish is really good.

The handle isn't nearly the fingerprint magnet I thought it be (in fact its really good for something a person would think would have a ton of fingerprints on it). But the blade is a fingerprint magnet as expected. The blade is perfectly centered.

Knife didn't come razor sharp. Too scared to fix it with my Sharpmaker (only been using the Sharpmaker on my cheaper knives).

Received mines today. Serial #308. Although it is 6 ounces, I don't think I mind it that much when it is in hand but in the pocket you can definitely feel the weight.

My lockbar is sticky as well. The flipper action is good but it seems like the more more I flip it the better it becomes. Build quality and fit and finish is really good.

The handle isn't nearly the fingerprint magnet I thought it be (in fact its really good for something a person would think would have a ton of fingerprints on it). But the blade is a fingerprint magnet as expected. The blade is perfectly centered.

Knife didn't come razor sharp. Too scared to fix it with my Sharpmaker (only been using the Sharpmaker on my cheaper knives).

A couple passes on the Ultra fine stones shouldn't be enough to remove any real material, but should be enough to improve the edge. Hope you have the UF stones.

A couple passes on the Ultra fine stones shouldn't be enough to remove any real material, but should be enough to improve the edge. Hope you have the UF stones.

I do. Might try that, it also can really polish the edge (not mirror but it makes it pretty shiny!).

After flipping it for half a day, I'm really starting to like it. Starting to like the design more and more as well (thought it was pretty bland when I first got it). Also that blade is incredibly thick makes my ZT 0777 M390 blade look really thin.

My first model is pretty good. #350. Still has sticky lock. Been doing the sharpie trick(frustrating) second model #441 had to be returned to knifeworks. Lockbar would not lock into place. It moved over but wouldn't engage the tang. My buddies second model he bought, his #345 is good, #240 developed terrible lock rock an hour or so after opening. Also returned. Hmm Seems some QC issues here on hopefully a select few. I noticed both of mine had some machining cuts that were rough near the top of lockbar. I love the knife, for the price it's confusing.

Interesting. The real question is, where are these knives being constructed? I don't think we can't lay QC issues on CRKT if they're receiving fully constructed (if not fully packaged) knives from Lionsteel. On the other hand, it's a different story if CRKT is receiving parts from Lionsteel and putting the knives together themselves.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

Last edited:
Mine's has a bit of a sticky lock still but its getting a lot better. The fit and finish for mines is perfect except for one spot. The circle that is milled out for the lockbar has a bit of rough machining on it but otherwise it is perfect. I like this knife more and more as the flipper action is improving and the robustness of this knife really grows on me. Now I just have to summon the courage to use the Sharpmaker on it as the factory edge is pretty dull.

Interesting experiences for an overall knife of the year winner. It looks cool but sticky lock is an instant turn off for me. After experiencing knives with proper lock geometry and how frame locks are supposed to work from CRK and RHK, I have very little patience for sticky locks.

I pre-ordered this knife and it should be here in about a week or so, but after hearing so many "ehhh" comments about the lockface of the knife I'm really quite torn about it. I wanted this knife to be unanimously great (and I know thats difficult, but there are knives which are coveted by most in the knife world). I have yet to hear anything outstanding about it so far and thats disappointing. I also just got my LTC class A last week and am I looking to buy a revolver so I'm thinking I may just have to cancel this order since mostly everything i've heard has been less than stellar other than "its growing on me".

I think the comments here are the minority. There are 525 of these knives floating around (although it seems many retailers still have some), and we've only heard comments from a handful of people. I got mine the other day, and I'm extremely happy with it. Fit and finish is perfect, and the knife looks incredible. I put it in the same price bracket and many of my ZT knives, and the fit and finish is the same or better. For the price ($299), I'm extremely happy with the knife. If I paid the $399 that some are asking now, I would be a bit more skeptical. The lock is a tad sticky on mine, but nothing I can't live with. I've had Sebenzas that have had stickier locks. I may end up just carbidizing the lock face and getting rid of the stick once and for all. Great knife though, don't worry too much about the comments here. If you get it and don't like it, return it or sell it. Don't let the minority sway you away from it.

Where did you purchase it for $299?

I think the comments here are the minority. There are 525 of these knives floating around (although it seems many retailers still have some), and we've only heard comments from a handful of people. I got mine the other day, and I'm extremely happy with it. Fit and finish is perfect, and the knife looks incredible. I put it in the same price bracket and many of my ZT knives, and the fit and finish is the same or better. For the price ($299), I'm extremely happy with the knife. If I paid the $399 that some are asking now, I would be a bit more skeptical. The lock is a tad sticky on mine, but nothing I can't live with. I've had Sebenzas that have had stickier locks. I may end up just carbidizing the lock face and getting rid of the stick once and for all. Great knife though, don't worry too much about the comments here. If you get it and don't like it, return it or sell it. Don't let the minority sway you away from it.

It was priced at $299 at most retailers, and then it jumped up to $399 for some reason. But House of Blades was still carrying it at the initial price, but they're sold out. I was told KnifeWorks will still honor the $299 price if you call and talk to them. [

Interesting experiences for an overall knife of the year winner. It looks cool but sticky lock is an instant turn off for me. After experiencing knives with proper lock geometry and how frame locks are supposed to work from CRK and RHK, I have very little patience for sticky locks.

Sticky locks are par for the course for titanium framelocks - just the nature of the metal. I love my CRKs but even the venerable Sebenza is known for having a sticky lock sometimes. If I passed on all the knives I have owned that initially had lock stick, I would have missed out on incredible pieces from Burchtree, Graham, Chuck G, and many other fine makers.

I pre-ordered this knife and it should be here in about a week or so, but after hearing so many "ehhh" comments about the lockface of the knife I'm really quite torn about it. I wanted this knife to be unanimously great (and I know thats difficult, but there are knives which are coveted by most in the knife world). I have yet to hear anything outstanding about it so far and thats disappointing. I also just got my LTC class A last week and am I looking to buy a revolver so I'm thinking I may just have to cancel this order since mostly everything i've heard has been less than stellar other than "its growing on me".

I have been keeping an eye on the various Hi Jinx threads and so far have counted four examples mentioned with issues worthy of being sent back for servicing. Lock stick is definitely a common theme though. I consider that about the tamest issue you could have on a new framelock. And keep in mind there has been good feedback from satisfied owners and positive reviews as well. With people on the fence about the CRKT name in this price range, anyone with problems is going to chime in, more so than a typical new knife release IMO. Some armchair psychology - negativity bias is going to be worse with this knife too due to the "controversy".

Sticky locks on titanium frame locks do happen even with the best of them. My Wilson Combat Eagle custom by Les George had the same issue. Sharpie treatment solves it but it takes a while and reapplication.

My two Hi Jinx flippers are great. They flip very well for such a heavy blade.

The jimping on the flipper could have been smoothed out since it's sharp on the top sides. The blade is just perfect. I would have liked a steel insert on the lockbar just like on the SR-1 & SR-2. I don't understand why the inside of the lockbar has unfinished titanium. For such a premium folder it's real tacky.

Most places are selling it for $400 now but I found two places selling it for $329.99-$339 shipped and in stock as of about half an hour ago. Alas, the $300 pricing is gone.

Here are my two CRKT Hi Jinx from KnifeWorks that I received on June 14th for $299.95 each. Serial# 0211 & 0383.

0f00a4e5-450e-4079-9b4a-969226dcb28e_zps8fb56287.jpg

90b25251-957f-4661-a6c6-5f14f80cbdb2_zps6145806b.jpg

ddb1226f-860b-483e-a8a4-b4b0459ef694_zps6b1955bd.jpg

fb59c69c-1097-412c-8453-7bdd83f87f68_zps12a346db.jpg

16470c9a-8d95-4ed4-bdfd-cb834b50403b_zpsf7ae2842.jpg

95f2c371-92d8-42bb-bbfa-565d03e5606f_zps9f9a0c80.jpg

ca30bcd9-66d5-4e82-96ea-6cc1378580c7_zpse685b329.jpg

Nice looking blades, remind me a lot of the ZT 0777 blade shape.

However the writing on the side looks more appropriate for a $40 CRKT than a $400 one.

I preordered mine through Blade HQ (#175). Knife was near perfect with the exception of a sticky lockface (that worked itself out) and a little mark on the inside edge of the non-framelock side of the handle (very small, not a deal breaker). Enjoyed the knife, action was great; however, I developed some rock lock as well, and sent it back for an exchange as I really liked the knife as a whole. Mine came VERY sharp, perfectly centered, and initially seemed like a keeper. I hope the second one sent will be the winner as I really want to keep it.

Back