CRKT Hi Jinx - Ken Onion Design - Made by LionSteel

BladeHQ has it listed now as coming soon but no indication on when.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--CRKT-Ken-Onion-Hi-Jinx-Frame-Lock--23836

The specs are the same and the description does say made by LionSteel! MSRP is the same $500 with a BladeHQ price of $325 (subject to change)!

DESCRIPTION

"CRKT has created an exceptional folder based on Ken Onion's custom Old Scallywag knife and named it the Hi Jinx. This knife, with its sleek, ergonomically savvy design is complemented by its premium materials and build. The Hi Jinx displays Ken Onion's signature style in all the details and boasts a 6Al4V titanium frame lock handle and Sleipner steel blade. The combination of a blade flipper and IKBS ball-bearing pivot equate to what some may rightfully deem the pinnacle of effortless one-hand opening. With manufacturing in Italy by LionSteel, the build-quality of the Hi Jinx flipper is sure to be top-notch."​

SPECIFICATIONS

• Overall Length: 8.10"
  • Blade Length: 3.32"
  • Blade Material: Sleipner
  • Hardness: 60-61 RC
  • Blade Style: Drop Point
  • Blade Grind: -
  • Blade Finish: Satin
  • Edge Type: Plain
  • Handle Length: 4.78"
  • Handle Thickness: -
  • Handle Material: Titanium
  • Weight: 6.40 oz.
  • Pocket Clip: Right Hand, Tip Up*
  • Knife Type: Manual
  • Opener: Flipper
  • Lock Type: Frame Lock
  • Brand: CRKT
  • Model: -
  • Designer: Ken Onion
  • Country of Origin: Italy
  • Best Use: Everyday Carry

Good news, Andrew of the EdgeObserver will be releasing a video of this knife in the next day or two.

https://www.youtube.com/user/edgeobserver
http://www.edgeobserver.com/

I know that Gianni mentioned a new partnership with a company earlier this year that was big, I wonder if he meant CRKT?

Nice. Please post the link to that review here.

I'm sure the CRKT collaboration is that other company Gianni was "not" talking about.

$325 would be a good street price.

The heavy weight of 6.4 ounces doesn't add up for a 3.3" blade where the SR-2 Ti is 4.8 ounces for a 3.1" blade and SR-1 is 6.8 ounces for a 3.7" blade.

$325 would be OK, the question is, will it, in fact, be an integral? If so, I'm on board. If not, it drops a few awesome points. Still, I'm glad to see crkt expanding into premium territory, with lionsteel involved, I wouldn't doubt the QC for a minute.

Video is up:

[video=youtube_share;_DIsCJgckkI]http://youtu.be/_DIsCJgckkI[/video]

Very nice video review. Full review here: CRKT Hi Jinx Designed by Ken Onion.

The knife and quality look superb. The blade length is neither here or there. It would've been better to be either 3" or 3.5". The handle is two pieces so none of the solid integral LionSteel models. Great that the IKBS is in a captured cage. Can't tell if it has a hardened stainless steel insert on the lock bar face. I'm sure it'll feel substantial in the hand due to the weight. The weight and the price are substantial barriers to many!

Definitely want one. :thumbup:

Hi-Jinx_Closed1.jpg

Hi-Jinx_18.jpg

Hi-Jinx-IKBS.jpg

lock-up.jpg

Hi-Jinx_Banner.jpg

Hi-Jinx.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice video review. Full review here: CRKT Hi Jinx Designed by Ken Onion.

The knife and quality look superb. The blade length is neither here or there. It would've been better to be either 3" or 3.5". The handle is two pieces so none of the solid integral LionSteel models. No hardened stainless steel insert on the lock bar face. Great that the IKBS is in a captured cage.

Definitely want one. :thumbup:

Agreed, I think that this knife has a lot going on for it, but I'll be waiting for LionSteel's version of the flipper. That being said, I wonder how many similarities the two knives will have once we get a glimpse of the upcoming flipper. I hope they do a reveal at Blade this year.

Ken Onion on the CRKT Hi Jinx:

[video=youtube_share;OS8o5A-zqpg]http://youtu.be/OS8o5A-zqpg[/video]

Limited edition: 525 numbered pieces.
MSRP: $500.00

K280-hi-jinx-DUO_1_large7_660.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS

Dimensions
Open Overall Length 8.0 inches
Closed Length 4.78 inches
Weight 6.4 ounces

Blade
Length 3.32 inches
Thickness .20 inches
Material Bohler Udderholm Sleipner
Blade-HRC 58-59
Finish Satin
Grind Flat Grind
Style Drop point
Edge Plain Edge

Handle
Material 6AL4V Titanium

Lock
Type Titanium Frame Lock

Carry
Carry System 2 position clip (tip up)

CRKT Item Number: K280TXP

Last edited:
Looks great, but based on experience it's not for me.

I've learned that when I buy 6 ounce knives, they sit in drawers. It's the 4 ounce and less knives end up in pockets.

The Ken Onion Foresight also weighs 6.4 ounces.

It's beautiful, like this new model, and just a little larger at 3.5 inches.

It's a wonderful flipper. I suspect that both of these models will be bought by collectors. They're both a bit heavy and large for pocket-edcing, at least for me.

Looks great, but based on experience it's not for me.

I've learned that when I buy 6 ounce knives, they sit in drawers. It's the 4 ounce and less knives end up in pockets.

This^^^. It cost me a lot of money to learn that lesson.

I contemplated the weight of the Hi Jinx and I'd still carry it occasionally. I have a Boker Minos also with a thick 0.2" blade and weighing 6.5 ounces which I carry infrequently. It's the toughest small folder I have (3.11" N690 vs. 3.32" Sleipner). If the Hi Jinx can be had for $325 I'm definitely getting two -- one to keep and one to use.

2014 Blade Show Overall Knife Of The Year®: CRKT/Ken Onion Hijinx

Enough said!

Last edited:
Overall knife of the year... Incredible night for LionSteel.

384_1.jpg

Congratulations, Gianni. All your hard work and attention to quality control is being justly recognized.

My M7 is so beautiful I'm having a hard time bringing myself to use it, I like just holding it and looking at it! :)

Congratulations on the earned acheivement. If the flipper for CRKT is this good, can't wait to see the Lionsteel flipper!

Back