Customs Pricing – Opinions and Views?

June 1970 Tulsa, OK at the Kenny Ligget Antique Arms Show

That is still 37 years ago, A.G., it is not like we are talking about 100's of years for this community to develop. There are still a LOT of people that don't even know that custom knives exist.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

As an aspiring collector that has many properties that Steven says he wants to see in "new collectors" (in my 20s, just out of university), I feel I should throw in my 2 cents. ;)

First, I think if you want to get the art community onboard, especially the young art community, politically, the general environment may have to accept that you may have to become more PC in casual interaction. I know that many BF members are salty old die-hard Republicans, which is fine, but ragging people who say stupid things with "Liberal!" like it's a bad name, is not going to win friends among the art community and young university students. I'm not saying that anyone needs to change who they vote for and who they burn effigies of, but a more neutral public front might be helpful. I don't think getting the art community involved necessarily means makers need to start making knife-like art objects. After all, the phrase "form follows function" came from an artist and was popularized by architects.

Secondly, on the issue of youth in collectors. We live in the internet age. Just about everyone under the age of 30 spends a good portion of their daily life on the internet. And yet, a good number of makers (and knife organizations) don't have a website, or don't have a good website, or don't update their website. This is a problem. :grumpy:

Third, on the Western/outdoors market. I've seen so many posts about how people nowadays are growing up without pocketknives. So, is that really so surprising? If you grow up not knowing what a slipjoint is, or the difference between a wharncliff and a drop point, or that (gasp!) the two of them have different purposes, it will be very difficult to appreciate a good outdoors knife. But, this can be taught, to girls as well as boys, and I'm pretty sure that you'd get a fair amount of interest.

Finally, learning (oh-so-very-very-slowly) about knife collecting is tiring. Very tiring. There's a lot of terminology which can be bewildering to the newbie. It takes years. So does collecting anything, I suppose, but the learning curve could be a lot less laborious than it is currently. And getting the smackdown for being new and ignorant (even though you're trying) from the experienced collectors is no fun either. :p

who and where were you treated poorly? We have some rough diamonds in our very large very diverse group but while the may mistreat each other they almost without exception welcome the new person.

That is still 37 years ago, A.G., it is not like we are talking about 100's of years for this community to develop. There are still a LOT of people that don't even know that custom knives exist.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

STeven:

I have been trying for over 40 years to spread that word. I have mailed catalogs containing handmade knives to over 15,000,000 people. Over 2,000,000 have responded to advertizments or catalogs wanting to learn more and maybe a quarter of them purchased something, by no means all handmade knives. We continue to mail 5-6,000,000 catalogs a years with maybe 500,000-1,000,000 going to new people.

with 300,000,000 people out there it is hard to make much of an impact. I am here looking for ways to do a better job, talk to me!

STeven:

I have been trying for over 40 years to spread that word. I have mailed catalogs containing handmade knives to over 15,000,000 people. Over 2,000,000 have responded to advertizments or catalogs wanting to learn more and maybe a quarter of them purchased something, by no means all handmade knives. We continue to mail 5-6,000,000 catalogs a years with maybe 500,000-1,000,000 going to new people.

with 300,000,000 people out there it is hard to make much of an impact. I am here looking for ways to do a better job, talk to me!

A.G., you are doing a fine job!

My point was not that you, or are anybody else is necessarily slacking, heck, your Russel's for Men catalog is a GREAT way to bring in new collectors, BUT...we have only been at it as a community for less than 50 years.

Time is a huge factor in the relation of things, as well as luck, and skill.

You would think that a more desireable violin would have come along since the Stradivarius, but it has not. Why is that?....marketing and yes, the quality the item epitomizes, as well as a little mystery. That mystical "something" has had hundreds of years to percolate, same as Rembrandt paintings, Petrossian Beluga caviar, Waterford Crystal and Rolex watches...all marketing, and something of substance to go with that marketing.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

An electronics engineer came to my laboratory to instll some equipment that I purchased. I was helping him, and something needed to be cut--so I pulled a little Bailey Bradshaw self-lock out of my pocket and did the job. The guy was intrigued and wanted to handle the knife. After the usual warnings (it is really sharp, and don't drop it) I gave it to him. He was very intrigued by the mechanism (took him about 2 minutes to figure out the self lock) the materials, and the fit-and finish. He loved the fact that he had to look very closely to see that the handles and backspacer were not one piece. Of course, he asked "what does something like this cost? And how would one get one?"

He freaked when I told him the cost and possible wait time--but especially about the cost. Of course, he asked--what will this do that a SAK will not do? By then I had notice his watch--a beautiful mechanical swiss piece that costs over $15K (no gold or diamonds, just amazing gadgetry). I pointed out that his mechanical watch will not even keep time as well as a cheap electronic one, is probably not as resilient, and he has to be careful not to drop it, etc. He replied that it is a marvel of mechanics, and wearable art, and quite functional, thank you. I told him to have another look at that knife.

Before he had left the lab, I had given him a list of websites, including this one, and the sites of several purveyors, including those of AG and Les.

Hi Shaldaq,

I had a similar experience at the first NRA Show in Nashville TN. Guy walked up with a Holland/Holland double barrel shot gun. Picked up a knife and asked the price I told him $300. He dropped the knife...literally. Then said "What kind of F*****G Idiot would pay $300 for a knife.

I asked him the price of his shotgun and he told me $23,000. I said "wow, you can get a Remington 870 12 gauge for $250 at Walmart. Makes you wonder what kind of F******G Idiot would pay $23,000 for a shot gun.

He stared at me, then smiled and said "Ok you got me".

He didn't buy a knife but our little conversation gave him at least a little more consideration for a custom knife.

WWG

Hi Three Worlds,

You see in the real world when you work for yourself and you are responsible for everything the business does...good/bad or indifferent. PC does not enter into it.

You wrote: "First, I think if you want to get the art community onboard, especially the young art community, politically, the general environment may have to accept that you may have to become more PC in casual interaction. I know that many BF members are salty old die-hard Republicans, which is fine, but ragging people who say stupid things with "Liberal!" like it's a bad name,"

So it's ok for you to call someone a "Salty" "Old" Die-Hard Republican (So much for that PC Thing you were talking about).

Yes, I am guilty I used the word Liberal in describing the way that most liberals report the news. They take the facts they need to fit the story they write. Which is what I was chastising John about. That he did not include everything I wrote was, in my opinion wrong.

No, you don't have to play nice with the "Art" community. Why, most of them view knives as a "Weapon" not Art. As such there will be few if any potential clients there.

The younger buyers (under 35) are primarily buying knives from the factories. Why? Because given the choice between the new IPhone and a $600 knife, they will be the IPhone! Nothing wrong with that, it is their money they should spend it where they like.

I do agree with you the way the "message" will get out is going to change dramatically over the next decade. Even as much as Bill Gates has put Microsoft on 94% of all PC's in the world. Here in the US, still only 35% of homes have a computer. Primarily as you stated with those 30 and younger. The down side to that a very large percentage of the "Disposable Income" is with those 55 and older. Most who don't have a computer or know how to use one.

National statistics show that 80% of recent college graduates have some type of student loan(s) to pay back. As well on average a $6,000 credit card balance. These are not the people who should be buying custom knives. These are the people who should work to get out of (bad) debt as soon as possible. Remember although you are paying into social security it will not be there when you are 65 or 70 or what ever the SSA is telling you the date you can start drawing it.

I wrote this because AG was wondering who mistreated you. You weren't mistreated you just forgot that you have a PC bias just like all those Old Salty Die-Hard Republicans! :D

Oh one other thing I agree with you on, is that it is so difficult to obtain, filter and maintain pertinent information with regards to your custom knife collection. Fortunately, you have found one place that can help you...even if we slip up with regards to your PC. I am getting old I remember when that meant Personal Computer.

In the future I will try to refrain from using the "L" word. Damn I remember when that used to mean Lesbian! Man things change in a hurry. :D

Just so you know I am neither a Democrat or a Republican. I am an Entrepreneur and a Capitalist! This is the very group that occupies 5% or the work force in the US and employees the other 95%.

WWG

Hi Shaldaq,

I had a similar experience at the first NRA Show in Nashville TN. Guy walked up with a Holland/Holland double barrel shot gun. Picked up a knife and asked the price I told him $300. He dropped the knife...literally. Then said "What kind of F*****G Idiot would pay $300 for a knife.

I asked him the price of his shotgun and he told me $23,000. I said "wow, you can get a Remington 870 12 gauge for $250 at Walmart. Makes you wonder what kind of F******G Idiot would pay $23,000 for a shot gun.

He didn't buy a knife but our little conversation gave him at least a little more consideration for a custom knife.

WWG
Spot on Les.......one of the tricks is to convince that MAKERS of guns like that of the value of custom knives. The folks I have visited in London apparently considered knives a high markup, but cheap accesory like their $100 hunting socks and uber-expensive tote bags. For what the average Purdey or Holland buyer drops on a pair of snap caps for his gun, he could have a pretty nice custom blade and NOT an overpriced rebadged Boker like the gun makers sell. I'm not sure about Holland, though. Jerry Fisk told me that he sent a couple of folders to them to check out a long time ago and not only did they not express any further interest, they failed to return the knives:eek:

Hi Three Worlds,

So it's ok for you to call someone a "Salty" "Old" Die-Hard Republican (So much for that PC Thing you were talking about).

Yes, I am guilty I used the word Liberal in describing the way that most liberals report the news. They take the facts they need to fit the story they write. Which is what I was chastising John about. That he did not include everything I wrote was, in my opinion wrong.

No, you don't have to play nice with the "Art" community. Why, most of them view knives as a "Weapon" not Art. As such there will be few if any potential clients there.

The younger buyers (under 35) are primarily buying knives from the factories. Why? Because given the choice between the new IPhone and a $600 knife, they will be the IPhone! Nothing wrong with that, it is their money they should spend it where they like.

I do agree with you the way the "message" will get out is going to change dramatically over the next decade. Even as much as Bill Gates has put Microsoft on 94% of all PC's in the world. Here in the US, still only 35% of homes have a computer. Primarily as you stated with those 30 and younger. The down side to that a very large percentage of the "Disposable Income" is with those 55 and older. Most who don't have a computer or know how to use one.

National statistics show that 80% of recent college graduates have some type of student loan(s) to pay back. As well on average a $6,000 credit card balance. These are not the people who should be buying custom knives. These are the people who should work to get out of (bad) debt as soon as possible. Remember although you are paying into social security it will not be there when you are 65 or 70 or what ever the SSA is telling you the date you can start drawing it.

I wrote this because AG was wondering who mistreated you. You weren't mistreated you just forgot that you have a PC bias just like all those Old Salty Die-Hard Republicans! :D

Oh one other thing I agree with you on, is that it is so difficult to obtain, filter and maintain pertinent information with regards to your custom knife collection. Fortunately, you have found one place that can help you...even if we slip up with regards to your PC. I am getting old I remember when that meant Personal Computer.

In the future I will try to refrain from using the "L" word. Damn I remember when that used to mean Lesbian! Man things change in a hurry. :D

Just so you know I am neither a Democrat or a Republican. I am an Entrepreneur and a Capitalist! This is the very group that occupies 5% or the work force in the US and employees the other 95%.

WWG

Dear WWG,

You misunderstand me.:D "Salty Die-Hard Republican" was not in any way meant to be derogatory or insulting. It was only meant to show that there are a number of people here who seem to be dedicated and life-long Republicans with character. I wasn't aware that was an insult. I too consider myself neither Democrat nor Republican, and am registered as "No Party;" there's no need to get snarky about the "L" word and "PC". ;)
I see where you're coming from about the media, but I think it's safe to say that a good many liberals would say the same about conservatives in the media. After all, it's not the self-proclaimed liberals who own the big media corporations. Maybe it's just a sign that journalistic standards on the whole are in decline.

I am not ignorant about matters of business. I brought up the whole PC thing because the point was made about appealing to people in the art community, and while business is business, personality *does* matter, as I'm sure you'd agree. Clearly, you don't think appealing to the art community is a feasible option, so that's a moot point.

Yes, college grads have a whole lot of debt, and yes, they should spend that time working hard and making it back up. However, the problem is some studies have shown that by the time you are not-so-young-and-in-debt anymore, say your 35+ group, your spending patterns and preferences are pretty set. So, how are you going to grow the collector community if you don't, as they say, "get 'em while they're young"?

Les, I've got no problem with you and I've enjoyed talking to you at shows, where you've been quite informative. Am I biased? Sure, I'm human; we all have biases. But I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't presume what those biases are.

P.S. AG, didn't mean to imply that I've been "mistreated", most people have been friendly. Only that, when you're lurking here and trying to listen and learn, and you read a conversation that goes something along the lines of, "Well, I don't agree with you." "Oh yeah? How large is YOUR collection, n00b?" ... It's a little discouraging, even if you're not the "noob". ;) :p :p

Dear WWG,

You misunderstand me.:D "Salty Die-Hard Republican" was not in any way meant to be derogatory or insulting. It was only meant to show that there are a number of people here who seem to be dedicated and life-long Republicans with character. I wasn't aware that was an insult. I too consider myself neither Democrat nor Republican, and am registered as "No Party;" there's no need to get snarky about the "L" word and "PC". ;)
I see where you're coming from about the media, but I think it's safe to say that a good many liberals would say the same about conservatives in the media. After all, it's not the self-proclaimed liberals who own the big media corporations. Maybe it's just a sign that journalistic standards on the whole are in decline.

I am not ignorant about matters of business. I brought up the whole PC thing because the point was made about appealing to people in the art community, and while business is business, personality *does* matter, as I'm sure you'd agree. Clearly, you don't think appealing to the art community is a feasible option, so that's a moot point.

Yes, college grads have a whole lot of debt, and yes, they should spend that time working hard and making it back up. However, the problem is some studies have shown that by the time you are not-so-young-and-in-debt anymore, say your 35+ group, your spending patterns and preferences are pretty set. So, how are you going to grow the collector community if you don't, as they say, "get 'em while they're young"?

Les, I've got no problem with you and I've enjoyed talking to you at shows, where you've been quite informative. Am I biased? Sure, I'm human; we all have biases. But I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't presume what those biases are.

P.S. AG, didn't mean to imply that I've been "mistreated", most people have been friendly. Only that, when you're lurking here and trying to listen and learn, and you read a conversation that goes something along the lines of, "Well, I don't agree with you." "Oh yeah? How large is YOUR collection, n00b?" ... It's a little discouraging, even if you're not the "noob". ;) :p :p

The "well I don't agree with you part" kinda goes with the territory, as sharing opinions and disagreeing at times to a great part are the concept that forums are built on.
However it is taken TOO far at times.

Boy, I have burned a lot of neurons reading this thread!

Kevin,

I am glad you are asking these type of questions.

PS-I don't like the Hendrickson either!:eek: :foot:

My problem is that I grew up thinking that gay meant carefree and happy and that the word liberal meant a person who was open minded and caring for others Now of course it means a person who is closed minded and intolerent of the opinions of others. I am still a registered Democrat but the last Dem President I voted for was JFK.

I am real even handed where politicians are concerned. I detest them all, right, left and center.

It seems that for years I vote against not for.

That said, while the art thing will work for some makers, it is a waste of time for most.

My problem is that I grew up thinking that gay meant carefree and happy and that the word liberal meant a person who was open minded and caring for others Now of course it means a person who is closed minded and intolerent of the opinions of others. I am still a registered Democrat but the last Dem President I voted for was JFK.

I am real even handed where politicians are concerned. I detest them all, right, left and center.

It seems that for years I vote against not for.

That said, while the art thing will work for some makers, it is a waste of time for most.
You are correct, Mr. Russell. I bet that George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, John Adams, Ben Franklin, Alexander Hamilton and all of their pals have about worn out the lining of their coffins with all of the rolling over they have done a a result of this new generation of American crypto-Marxists being called "Liberals" I say we do like the more radical ones want and start calling them "Progressives" It is just as much a misnomer as applied to them as liberal, but it would allow us reclaim and rehabilitate an old and noble title.:D

Hi Shaldaq,

WWG

I have heard of similar experiences pertaining to gun collectors.
Ironic too, as you would expect that if anyone understood custom knife collecting, it would be gun enthusiast. :confused:

I had a hunting buddy just last week ask me, Why would anybody pay 300. Plus for a knife. You can buy one at wally world for 20. just as good. I ask him why he hunted dove with a Beretta White wing, and a Browning Citori, When a mossberg pump would kill them just as dead. I thought I saw a dim glow of awarness start up in his eyes. AH-HA!!!

I had a hunting buddy just last week ask me, Why would anybody pay 300. Plus for a knife. You can buy one at wally world for 20. just as good. I ask him why he hunted dove with a Beretta White wing, and a Browning Citori, When a mossberg pump would kill them just as dead. I thought I saw a dim glow of awarness start up in his eyes. AH-HA!!!
I guess the same question applies regarding why guys would buy an expensive shotgun for dove hunting and then go buy the cheapest soft lead shot pallet-at-the-end-of-the-aisle-at-Wal-Mart ammo. The few times I went dove hunting, I had no qualms about spending a few extra bucks for Winchester AA target loads for my old Superposed, because, frankly, I needed any edge that I could get

I have heard of similar experiences pertaining to gun collectors.
Ironic too, as you would expect that if anyone understood custom knife collecting, it would be gun enthusiast. :confused:

The BEST source for knife collectors is gun owners/collectors. The POOREST is fisherman. In the 1960s I built my knife business on the American Rifleman, Shooting Times, Gun World and Guns and Ammo. That worked for about 20 years and has declined ever since. Card Decks worked for a few years, then less and less. The WWW will be the best for a long time, I get the impression though that it brings in new dealers as fast or faster than new collectors.;)

Hi Three Worlds,

Fair enough. As you said people are biased and speak their mind as they see fit...especially on the internet. Maybe this is the only place they don't have to be PC :D

Personally, I enjoy reading comments and questions from new collectors. I find it interesting to see how it is basically the same questions I used to ask. The delivery medium may be different but the message is basically the same...as are the questions. Who, what, when, where, why and how....MUCH.

Hi AG,

Yep, that www thing is having a huge impact on everything to include custom knives. While new dealers are showing up left and right generally every 5 years or so the herd gets culled.

Part of the reason there are so many new dealers is because they can sell not only knives...but all the other accessories. Pens, watches, factory knives, flashlights, etc. This allows them to pay the bills, but limits their ability to move forward as an expert in any one field. The majority of these new Internet dealers do not set up at shows. They merely attend. This allows them to get what they want, limit their expenses and feed their web sites. This business plan would get no argument at any B-School.

These dealers serve a purpose to the overall market. They act as agents of transition. Those who collect other things may get introduced to knives because of these dealers. This is particularly true of those selling factory knives.

However, as the collectors knowledge grows and leaves behind factory knives and enters the custom knife world. They start to look for the "Specialist" who will help them gain additional knowledge and move forward in their collecting.

Utilization of the Internet allows you to reach people in places that print just couldn't do. As well the internet allows a snap shot of what is currently available. As opposed to a catalog that may be days or weeks old.

I was on your list for many years. I used to love getting those catalogs that Dave Harvey at Nordic Knives would send out.

I expect to start seeing Podcasts from knife shows in the near future. I was asked by someone at the Blade Show if I would be interested in helping him with Podcasts of interviews with custom knife makers.

The time that it takes information to travel the world gets reduced every day.

WWG

Back