DPx HEST Folder Blade Setting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may just hold me pre-order over to a second run of these if the design changes and it comes from the factory with the tip covered in the handle.

Unless the second run is already being made using the same process.

The detent to keep the knife closed is actually a little tighter now and more secure. The knife still easily flips open. The actual adjustment & disassembly took less time than writing this & taking pictures.

This knife is just too nice to let everyone lose hope in it after just a couple days.
I agree totally, if anyone considered it a "problem" in the first place. :)

BUT, I would like to know where the detent ball is now resting when the blade is in the fully closed position. [to satisfy my own curiosity]

I would assume it is no longer in the hole, is that correct?

Thanks in advance.... :)

That is a nice fix as long as the pin does not rotate. :thumbup:

As you slowly open the blade now, I would assume you can feel the ball detent drop into the hole and come out???

And on closing the blade it goes into the hole and comes out as the blade goes to the final resting spot against the modified stop pin?

The pin is pressed in pretty tight on mine and does not roll around without using pliers & some pressure. Plus the flat of the blade rests on the now flat ground (on one side only) stop pin.

Yes blade now snaps shut with a nice little click when it hits the stop.

My blade now requires a bit of thumb pressure to get it opening. Not bad, but a reassuring "it is not gonna open in my pocket" amount of pressure.

Every knife I have ever owned needed some kind of tinkering, I don't care who made it. Whether is was sharpness issues, blade play, or just plain bad finishing. This needed an easy fix and is rock solid otherwise from what I have seen.

:thumbup:
Thank you JTC for all the info.

I must agree, so far I have really enjoyed carrying it. I want to bang it up a little bit before I make any decisions on mods.

I agree totally, if anyone considered it a "problem" in the first place. :)

BUT, I would like to know where the detent ball is now resting when the blade is in the fully closed position. [to satisfy my own curiosity]

I would assume it is no longer in the hole, is that correct?

Thanks in advance.... :)

I did not pay very close attention to what the lock & detent did prior to my tinkering. Now however when the blade closes fully the lock side & detent ball seem to drop in the hole of the blade and hold it closed. I did not check to see if this happened prior to grinding the pin.

It for sure locks closed better than before, and the blade is fully behind the scales.

The pin is pressed in pretty tight on mine and does not roll around without using pliers & some pressure. Plus the flat of the blade rests on the now flat ground (on one side only) stop pin.

Yes blade now snaps shut with a nice little click when it hits the stop.

My blade now requires a bit of thumb pressure to get it opening. Not bad, but a reassuring "it is not gonna open in my pocket" amount of pressure.

Every knife I have ever owned needed some kind of tinkering, I don't care who made it. Whether is was sharpness issues, blade play, or just plain bad finishing. This needed an easy fix and is rock solid otherwise from what I have seen.
Thanks for the info.... I haven't even had mine apart yet as it really doesn't bother me as is. :)

I agree, I think it is a great knife from what I have seen thus far. And you are surely correct... most anything needs fine tuning. From a "new car", a "new" house or anything else.

I certainly do not see this slight thing as a catastrophic event..... I hope most others do not either.

I am curious as to where the ball detent now rests when the blade is in the full close position. It is out of the hole isn't it??

If we are typing at the same time again.. my apologies. :D

I did not pay very close attention to what the lock & detent did prior to my tinkering. Now however when the blade closes fully the lock side & detent ball seem to drop in the hole of the blade and hold it closed. I did not check to see if this happened prior to grinding the pin.

It for sure locks closed better than before, and the blade is fully behind the scales.
Thank you, that is what I wanted to know. :thumbup:

Mine drops in now as is and holds the blade secure. So any "tinkering" [IF I felt it was necessary.... I don't. :)] with the stop pin would screw that up on mine.

Anyway... thanks for the info. :)

No problem. So yours drop into the blade and locks it closed now as-is. Mine locked close before, but is better now. I just never noticed the lock snaping shut.

I was not worried about the blade before, but just wanted to see how easy a fix would be.

No problem. So yours drop into the blade and locks it closed now as-is. Mine locked close before, but is better now. I just never noticed the lock snaping shut.

I was not worried about the blade before, but just wanted to see how easy a fix would be.
Yeah, my ball detent rests squarely in the hole when the blade is at full close.
It drops all the way in too... nice firm detent holding blade shut.

Good fix you posted also... ;)

Thanks again and have a good one..... :thumbup: .. :)

RYP,

Do you know if a longer blade might be offered as an alternative to pin replacement? Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer to keep the original pin.

Every customer is entitled to his/her own satisfaction in this matter, so I'm grateful for the prompt response providing a couple of options (new pin and/or refund).

No bunched panties. No pressure. For me, since I'm not really pumped about the pin replacement, I think the only thing that would work for keeping the knife would be a blade exchange.

I'm not an experienced knife maker, just an experienced consumer, and I've never kept a knife with this problem, but I would in this case if the blade length is adressed, instead of the pin. Please keep in mind, I'm only speaking for myself. Let everyone else be happy with their own decision.

Please let me know. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, have a tracking number, but nothing showing up in transit, yet (LE #109). If it looks as though the pin fix will be the only fix option, please advise, so I can decide on whether or not I want to keep the knife.

Thank you for your time.

Very best regards,

risen

Last edited:
Would it be structurally safer to grind the area of the blade that rests against the stop pin? It seems that in modifying the integrity of the stop pin you are decreasing the strength of the lockup. I know it's a small amount which in my own personal use will not be detected (I'm not a spine whacking whacko) but if grinding the blade is better and even easier to accomplish I'd rather do that.

How about making a secondary detent hole on the blade after playing with stop pin???? I don't mind secondary hole to keep it shut. The reasons for having ball dentent hole is to keep the blade from accidental opening without pressure or force. I would not trust any frame lock or liner lock if the ball does not sit well in the detent hole.

How about making a secondary detent hole on the blade after playing with stop pin???? I don't mind secondary hole to keep it shut. The reasons for having ball dentent hole is to keep the blade from accidental opening without pressure or force. I would not trust any frame lock or liner lock if the ball does not sit well in the detent hole.

wouldnt a 2nd hole cause issues with the smoothness while opening the knife? especially if the 2nd hole is behind the 1st hole.

Ford Freak.

The world is about adapting, surviving and enjoying the accomplishments. Have at it and let me cover your costs and send you some swag. You know where to reach me.

And yes regardless of the mods you do. We are going to make your knife hum like a V12 at no cost to you. Life is too short to think of more reasons to complicate your life.
When you are a member of the DPx Gear family you get treated like family...unless you are the village idiot of course ;))

My friend just got his today. He seems sure that the gap at the end of the tip is supposed to be there, so that it doesn't hit the spacer and dull the blade. He said his BM's are like that. I have no idea. Just thought I'd chime in on that thought.

I am not dictating the fix just saying that at first blush it appeared the problem is caused by the pin. We are not reengineering the knife since the prototype works perfectly and has been used for months without problem. As you know a folder is a complex interplay of geometry, fit and materials and one tiny thing can put this out.

So I don't know that a longer blade is the fix or even a pin change but I do know that there is some work to be done.

Waiting for a production model.I can wait for a while if it comes with out a gap.I have all the patience in the world

Would it be possible to get the outside diameter of the stop pin from a knife where the blade tip is not exposed?

Whitty, could you measure the 'new' diameter of your stop pin? Please measure it 5 times at three different spots along the length of the pin if you could. (15 total measurements)

Then, we would know how much material might need to be removed on our knives. This would take a lot of guesswork out of the mix for those of us with micrometers and the like.

Ford Freak.

The world is about adapting, surviving and enjoying the accomplishments. Have at it and let me cover your costs and send you some swag. You know where to reach me.

And yes regardless of the mods you do. We are going to make your knife hum like a V12 at no cost to you. Life is too short to think of more reasons to complicate your life.
When you are a member of the DPx Gear family you get treated like family...unless you are the village idiot of course ;))

Thanks RYP, but I'm not looking to make any money. I'm still waiting patiently for my HEST folder and can imagine the sadness some of these other guys are feeling. haha
It's of no cost to me, just a couple hours on the machine. Oh and the $0.40 postage for return? ;)
Also do you know if the pin is hardened? Drill blank?

I would too be interested in the pin dia.

...So I don't know that a longer blade is the fix or even a pin change [bold added for emphasis] but I do know that there is some work to be done.
Sounds fair. As long as the pin option isn't the only thing being considered, I can wait it out.

Had the pin swap been the only option, I would've wanted to save you some postage by canceling my order (now, before it's actually shipped out) and requesting a refund. However, if you believe there may be other solutions available (other than the pin option), then I'm more than willing to wait and see how things turn out.

If it works out, great. If it doesn't, I can always return the knife for a refund, then.

Thanks, RYP

risen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back