EDC - What's In Your Pocket(s)??? Part 2

WnRhi5.jpg

I figure it's been a while since I've posted a pocket dump. I run maintenance for a fleet of equipment. The only thing that changes in this setup is the folding knife. But the native 5 is a favorite.
m5iP474.jpeg

Nice but are you still using alkaleaks? Unless there is a good reason for alkaline, look into Eneloop or Eneloop Pro batteries. They are NiMH, don't leak, and can be recharged over 500 times. (They take a few charging cycles to break in but a freshly charged Eneloop should outlast a fresh alkaline in most devices, especially the black pro version.)

Chronovore Chronovore Excellent point. The AAA alkalines are actually for my hat light a $6 nextorch that sees replacements once a week. The two lithiums AAAs are in case I'm outside for an extended period of time now that it's getting cold out. The AA's are in case one of the remotes for a crane needs them in which case they seem to be a little more sensitive to anything beyond alkaline. Both my daily flashlights are rechargeables.

Chronovore Chronovore Excellent point. The AAA alkalines are actually for my hat light a $6 nextorch that sees replacements once a week. The two lithiums AAAs are in case I'm outside for an extended period of time now that it's getting cold out. The AA's are in case one of the remotes for a crane needs them in which case they seem to be a little more sensitive to anything beyond alkaline. Both my daily flashlights are rechargeables.

I switched over to Eneloops years ago and never looked back. My most recent experience with alkaleaks was a kid toy that came with them installed and of course they leaked and corroded the connections.

I use the regular white Eneloops in clocks, TV remotes, and a Sofirn light that will truly run batteries down to nothing. The real benefit to those, aside from costing less or being rated for 2000 charging cycles, is that they are less sensitive to damage from getting totally run down to nothing. They are also a little thinner, which only very occasionally makes a difference on tight compartments.

Otherwise, Pro is the way to go in higher-demand devices. Extreme cold can be a challenge for lots of batteries but it depends on how cold we are talking. I used to run into problems working with batteries below 0F but that was before I made the switch. My life is cozier now. 😜

Chronovore Chronovore Ideally my days of working in Deadhorse Alaska at -50F ambient (the wind always blows up there) are over but I still see days working at -10f to -25f in the winter. Enough to kill everything including lithiums at times

I remember having to work outside. The worst I ever experienced was -26F. Batteries for electronics just wouldn't cooperate. I had ice in my beard. I was glad to have those days behind me.

I remember having to work outside. The worst I ever experienced was -26F. Batteries for electronics just wouldn't cooperate. I had ice in my beard. I was glad to have those days behind me.
I saw -107 F with the wind-chill (mild breeze) after 7 minutes a ski mask will freeze solid enough to stand on its own. Some not so good memories 🤣

Back