Fairly Knives Chat - For people who like Knives, have Knives or use Knives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!

Yeah it looks like they cleaned up some of the forums that were not kept up... not sure about most of it.

The DFK subforum is here to stay! I'm going to put in a slogan change request though, "Craftsmanship without Compromise" is the new one!

Things have changes since I started, I enjoy one offs but tested designs are meant to be made again and again. I make the toughest knives possible but "hard use" might be misleading on a zero bevel Chef's knife. I'm into using durable materials and construction methods not chopping cinder blocks. ...But you can with some of them!

Communication is key.

Deposits are ruled out here. To me the issue is that if something goes wrong with the timing or process things turn bad fast.

...I'm dealing with a crazy wait on my folder parts now. I can tell I can't push these people much harder but they better get me my parts soon! The same thing happened last year on a huge order placed months in advance with another company. I wound up running late on a dated knife (etched with date) and about flew to Indiana to collect my Ti.

Matt that rocks!!! power!

Make it a good one X!

Rocking!

The shop is coming together nicely. Killer looking blades! great music too, nice work :cool:

The Cutlass or big sword is the coolest ever, wow!

Haha, there is a cool story behind the cleaver and the cutlass. They were given to me by an elderly friend before he passed away last year. He was a huge collector of guns, knives and all sorts of other antiques. The cleaver is from the Ft. Worth slaughterhouses. The cutlass I'm not sure where it came from but it makes an interesting conversational piece ;)

happy Sunday to you all!!!! I tell you what I will be glad when my daughter graduates college next year! Want to talk about a money pit...lol I can not even imagine how many hundreds go out each month. It will be worth it it is just tough while they are in. I guess this month we are paying off her credit card. At least that is just $500. No wonder I have not gotten a new knife in so long. Gotta get more of your blades Daniel!!!!

Morning!

Sounds good BigCountry! That is great she is getting closer to graduation.

I had a full tuition scholarship for a few years, worked full time in school... Just the fees are a fortune! I'm just short of graduation. I left one summer to crew on a boat, met my wife and jumped ship in St.Thomas with $20... have been self employed pretty much since. :D

Matt,
Thank cleaver is SICK. You could totally turn that thing into a beast of a weapon. Cutlass is pretty cool too, id be playing pirate daily LOL. Great looking shop. Congrats.

Haha, there is a cool story behind the cleaver and the cutlass. They were given to me by an elderly friend before he passed away last year. He was a huge collector of guns, knives and all sorts of other antiques. The cleaver is from the Ft. Worth slaughterhouses. The cutlass I'm not sure where it came from but it makes an interesting conversational piece ;)

Daniel, that story sounds familiar! I moved out with a train ticket, duffle bag, and my dog. Stayed with a friend in San Francisco until I found work and pretty much went from there!

Got the pricker and spike all finished up and shipped off today. Always feels good to get orders finished.

-Xander

Matt,
Thank cleaver is SICK. You could totally turn that thing into a beast of a weapon. Cutlass is pretty cool too, id be playing pirate daily LOL. Great looking shop. Congrats.

I'd like to refurbish it sometime. It is easily 1/2" thick where the ricasso would be and tapers both ways. Sometime I'll hit it with a wire wheel and then vinegar soak it then give it a wicked edge. Maybe a wrapped handle. It would be one of the biggest baddest zombie cleavers ever!

Just picked up the wood for workbenches!

Take care squatchers

Question-

What's it mean, when discussing a frame lock knife, when they say "__% lockup" and "Early Lockup"? Does that refer to how much overlap, and how soon the engagement occurs, between the locking surfaces?

N00b Question No. 34564227!

Yes, how much the lock bar overlaps the tang. They wear with use and a properly designed lock will still be secure after many years.

-X

Daniel, that story sounds familiar! I moved out with a train ticket, duffle bag, and my dog. Stayed with a friend in San Francisco until I found work and pretty much went from there!

Got the pricker and spike all finished up and shipped off today. Always feels good to get orders finished.

-Xander
Nice, that is cool they are done!

I'd like to refurbish it sometime. It is easily 1/2" thick where the ricasso would be and tapers both ways. Sometime I'll hit it with a wire wheel and then vinegar soak it then give it a wicked edge. Maybe a wrapped handle. It would be one of the biggest baddest zombie cleavers ever!

Just picked up the wood for workbenches!

Take care squatchers

Thick... I like it! I have heard of tantos 1/2" thick as well, it is cool historically blades that thick were useful...

Question-

What's it mean, when discussing a frame lock knife, when they say "__% lockup" and "Early Lockup"? Does that refer to how much overlap, and how soon the engagement occurs, between the locking surfaces?

N00b Question No. 34564227!

That's right! % of the lock bar pushed over...

Early lockup is good in my opinion.

It is logical to think that the bigger the lockup area the stronger but that is not true at all. The geometry is what is important. Early lock up gives room for break in and wear too.

In fact generally over .125" of linear area on the lock is too much. (not lockup, up and down contact area)

Good morning!

We are watching the deer this morning, Jade saw one for the first time yesterday and is pointing and telling us about one in the yard. Too funny! It's the same look when the cat does something bad. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back