Firearm Recommendations?

Charlie_K . New Amsterdam was the original name of NYC. Founded as a BUSINESS ,others were founded by religious groups ! They didn't care who you were or where you were from as long as you contributed your efforts to the running of the city. Now the crazies have taken over . Carry a knife with it clipped to your pocket ? Cops see the clip, they take your knife !

1776, in response to your post #13, there is an SKS paratrooper (may sometimes go by a different name). It is shorter and VERY effective with hollow points at short range (other loads will help at longer range). I have one and:thumbsup:
Looks nice but bayonets are banned in NY lol

Ne
I can't say that I have. This is my first hearing of "New Amsterdam" and looking it up on google turns up a lot of stuff with no clarification as to what's relevant and what's not. If dutch colonization isn't relevant to the reference, I really don't wanna spend time reading up on it.

I highly suggest you read about it, it's a quick and easy read, straight to the point. It's our only hope at getting our guns back & only comes every 20yrs w a constitutional convention.
http://www.newamsterdamny.org/

It makes me think it won't happen though because people seem to not know about it , I'm a bit disappointed in my fellow gun lovers here in NY...

Last edited:
Pump shotgun, 12 gauge with a extend magazine and a 18" barrel............a box of double o buck and one with 7 1/2 bird shot.
Covers everything from home defense to acquisition of food.
And pretty much safe from most firearm restrictions!:thumbsup:

Even legal where I live in California with all of our crazy laws!:rolleyes:

Unless I'm looking at old compliance laws Ruger offers a NY compliant AR with some Monster hand grip, and a Beretta 1301 should fit the bill as well. Not exactly budget friendly options but the OP has made no remarks abuut budget yet.

OP, if you have to wait a year to get a permit, you'll have a year to save money. Pick what you really want, get a couple of extra jobs and save the money. I saved for 2 years and bought my first Noveske (N4 Light) in cash. Will keep that rifle forever but have bought and sold SKS's, Mosin Nagants, Kel Tec folders, etc.

Hit some gunshops that rent guns, there is one in Green Island, NY open 7 days a week. Find out what you can and cannot buy in-store, make a plan and get what you want.

The SKS is an oddity and potentially a pretty crappy one, especially if after a year you have problems with it. Waiting for a year for potential issues seems like a recipe for unhappiness.

I don't understand the "oddity: and "waiting a year" (unless you are talking about the year permit wait, in which case your scenario would apply to ANY weapon) part of your SKS commentary. :confused: I have 5 different versions, all of which function very well and have for at least 15 years. Many hundreds of rounds put through and many enjoyable hours spent. It is simple, reliable and affordable. :thumbsup: I have numerous friends who would give a similar assessment of theirs. :)

Last edited:
I don't understand the "oddity: and "waiting a year" (unless you are talking about the year permit wait, in which case your scenario would apply to ANY weapon) part of your SKS commentary. :confused: I have 5 different versions, all of which function very well and have for at least 15 years. Many hundreds of rounds put through and many enjoyable hours spent. It is simple, reliable and affordable. :thumbsup: I have numerous friends who would give a similar assessment of theirs. :)

OP has to wait a year to get a permit to purchase a gun, he applies waits for permit, takes to buy gun and probably can only apply for 1 permit at a time (not sure). All I'm saying is don't wait a 12 months to buy an SKS, especially in a state that could ban them with the stroke of a pen. The SKS is an oddity (non mainstream) weapon in my eyes because out of 100 people looking for a first rifle, most would not choose an SKS. It's cool fun to shoot, but as a practical first and only rifle for a year, IMHO it is not. Rent one shoot a friends, whatever, they're great 2nd-100th rifles.

I understand, you're in NV, I'm in GA, either you and I could go by 10 rifles tomorrow with our drivers license or CCW and take home immediately. In the 10 rifles I'd buy an SKS, a Mosin, a Swiss Rifle (all oddities), an AK, but not 10 SKS's. Waiting for a year and getting one, most likely the SKS will leave OP longing for something else as well. And for what it's worth if me or you don't like a firearm we buy we could sell it at a gunshow or trade it at a dealer or sell it privately, all something OP living in NY state cannot do. He has to start over with a year wait for the permit.

OP has to wait a year to get a permit to purchase a gun, he applies waits for permit, takes to buy gun and probably can only apply for 1 permit at a time (not sure). All I'm saying is don't wait a 12 months to buy an SKS, especially in a state that could ban them with the stroke of a pen. The SKS is an oddity (non mainstream) weapon in my eyes because out of 100 people looking for a first rifle, most would not choose an SKS. It's cool fun to shoot, but as a practical first and only rifle for a year, IMHO it is not. Rent one shoot a friends, whatever, they're great 2nd-100th rifles.

I understand, you're in NV, I'm in GA, either you and I could go by 10 rifles tomorrow with our drivers license or CCW and take home immediately. In the 10 rifles I'd buy an SKS, a Mosin, a Swiss Rifle (all oddities), an AK, but not 10 SKS's. Waiting for a year and getting one, most likely the SKS will leave OP longing for something else as well. And for what it's worth if me or you don't like a firearm we buy we could sell it at a gunshow or trade it at a dealer or sell it privately, all something OP living in NY state cannot do. He has to start over with a year wait for the permit.

Oh no I you don't need a permit for rifles all you need is a background check , I was referring to pistols because someone started talking about them for some reason. NY hasn't gotten THAT bad yet lol but it is hard to find a proper rifle here

Oh no I you don't need a permit for rifles all you need is a background check , I was referring to pistols because someone started talking about them for some reason. NY hasn't gotten THAT bad yet lol but it is hard to find a proper rifle here

Pump shotguns are easier to get than proper rifles for defensive purposes. With a little customization, a field model goes to a defensive model in short order, although with the price of accessories, it might be more cost effective to go with a defensive model right off the bat, provided one can be found.

OP, lots of great input here.
For semi auto pistol, can't go wrong with any of the "big" brands. Glock, Sig, S&W, Walther and so on, all are good-to-go. Since NY limits magazine capacity then something like a Glock 26 is very shootable and holds the full 10 rounds. If you think you might use your pistol for CCW one day then something this would be good for that. Or one of the single stack options like the S&W shield or Glock 43, still shootable but easy to conceal. But it's worth mentioning that people typically do their best shooting with larger format pistols like G19/S&W M+P or similar sized pistol. Larger grip, more weight and longer sight radius help with accuracy as well as fast follow-ups. food for thought.
If you're thinking revolver, as said earlier, stick with S&W and Ruger.
As far as pistol caliber choices, it's great if you can try some out at a range to see what your most comfortable with. But I will say don't let anyone tell you the trusty 9mm is unsuitable. Get a good hollow point load; I like Hornady critical defense and Federal HST. And .357 for a wheel gun is perfect, a good .38 load will also get the job done.

For a long gun, like was said before, a Rem 870 or Mossy 500 pump 12 gauge is a mighty piece of artillery. I don't believe NY has magazine tube restrictions so 7, 8 or even 10 shot tubes are good options. Buckshot is bad news out well beyond normal self-defense ranges. And slugs don't stop for much of anything. Bulk boxes of #7 1/2 shot loads are very affordable and are devastatingly effective out to about 25 yards, and they are a huge annoyance out to about 80 yards. I've done a lot of testing with various 12ga loads at varying ranges.
Not saying a semi-auto rifle is a bad option either, but a good shotty will do the job too.

I suppose we could recommend the Marlin 336 lever action rifle in .30-30, which is pretty close to the SKS in terms of ballistics, and thus nothing to sneeze at. Ammo is more expensive, but there's a better selection of available loadings.

I suppose we could recommend the Marlin 336 lever action rifle in .30-30, which is pretty close to the SKS in terms of ballistics, and thus nothing to sneeze at. Ammo is more expensive, but there's a better selection of available loadings.
What about that Remington 740? I kinda like the look of it

What about that Remington 740? I kinda like the look of it

I like the look of it too, but I have no experience with it. All I really know is that one of the calibers it was chambered for was the .30-06, which is still a pretty serious cartridge and puts it up there in M1 Garand territory. That's why I suggested the Marlin 336, because that's a rifle I have at least some experience with.

Remingtons 7400 wete nice rifles it even came in a carbine model at least in the 30/06 caliber. I'm not sure what the newer guns are like or if they still offer the shorter carbine but you can find the carbines on GunBroker or other auction sites or at gunshows sometimes for fair prices ... and it make for a nice hunting rifle as well as home defense.

I recommended the Remington earlier because of the reasons stated. I had a 740 (precursor-pretty much the same, some strength improvements in the 7400) in .243 and loved it. :cool: Traded it for my first FN-FAL (about 20 years ago) and have regretted it ever since-not the FN, the trade. One of the best rifles of the 20th century according to Guns and Ammo, and I agree. :thumbsup: Functional and beautiful, like a good women. :D

AK47? Seriously? Have you read any of the posts? The OP is in New York. :rolleyes:

A lever action has been mentioned. There are some that use handgun cartridges that would be very effective. They come in .357 Mag., .44 Mag. and even .480 Ruger and .454 Casull. Most have 10 round capacity and I doubt that the authorities even in New York would raise a eyebrow over a lever action carbine.

Just a thought.

Back