Forged In Fire joke

So was there no episode last night? I didn't see one on looking through the guide, so I'm wondering if the season is over.

I'm always confused why guys use burl, bone, or any of the natural handle materials really. Even more confused why it seems I very rarely see anybody just grab either canvas micarta or G10. It really seems like a number of contestants haven't seen many, if any past episodes to learn from others mistakes. :confused:

~Paul

My YT Channel Lsubslimed
... (It's been a few years since my last upload)

I'm always confused why guys use burl, bone, or any of the natural handle materials really. Even more confused why it seems I very rarely see anybody just grab either canvas micarta or G10. It really seems like a number of contestants haven't seen many, if any past episodes to learn from others mistakes. :confused:

I have thought the same thing. It seems they think the pretty scales will make them stand out more then the others. Then their scales break.

In a pinch like that I would use some pins, or corbys and a good super glue.

There's a lot of aspects to many of the builds that just absolutely boggle my mind, especially when considering the 3, to maybe 4 hour time window. I mean, I understand people get tunnel vision when working under pressure, but the tests are almost EXCLUSIVELY performance based. You know they're going to all but abuse the knife when it's done, so why not build it to suit? I'd use corbies and some sort of phenolic, no question.

It's rare that a decision boils down to fit and finish over performance, and the fit and finish I don't think has ever boiled down to "Well, this guy has a 17 piece handle with mammoth ivory and gold wire inlay, and this other knife...well, it's just canvas micarta. Send him home."

Choose a bullet proof material, take 30 minutes to drill and glue some micarta scales, and spend the rest of your time making the knife look good and feel good, with a final emphasis on what matters most: the edge.

I wonder if we will see any of the contestants pull out the torch, work the edge and do an edge quench?

I don't remember the maker, but I believe someone did do the torch and edge quench on one of the earlier episodes. Season 2 maybe.

Yes. An older fellow on Season 2 did exactly that.

It was the Pata episode (season 3, episode 11). That judges were SO excited to see him do it.

ETA
Actually.... not so sure now that I'm correct. I've watched too many back to back. I do remember the judge being very excited though.

It was my very good friend Tom McGinnis that used a torch to edge quench his blade. Season 2, Episode 9: "The Khanda"

Tom really knows what he's doing and he's a very talented and experienced bladesmith. He made it to the finals but didn't win. As I suspect happens to many others, Tom wasn't fully prepared to heat treat such a large blade and he had some issues getting the quench/temper just right which may have cost him the win.

With the time crunch, some of our processes need to be modified. If I was there, I'd glue the handle up first, then finish the blade. That would let me fix any problems with the handle fitment, including a redo if needed. We usually have the blade finished less sharpening before we do the handle.

Thanks Salem! I started out trying to figure out why I couldn't afford to forge as a hobby. After a bit of research and asking around about an anvil, I was heating rebar and shaping it into something resembling a knife. I make my own wood charcoal, and have a simple forge. I am making a knife for the guy that gave me an old anvil and will post a couple of pics once it is complete. (Drop point hunter with hamon modeled after a knife I saw here.) I really enjoy the whole process, especially the forging. I will be attempting hand forged damascus soon. I already have practiced forge welding some, some success some failure=learning. Thanks for all the great info that you share!

Thanks Salem! I started out trying to figure out why I couldn't afford to forge as a hobby. After a bit of research and asking around about an anvil, I was heating rebar and shaping it into something resembling a knife. I make my own wood charcoal, and have a simple forge. I am making a knife for the guy that gave me an old anvil and will post a couple of pics once it is complete. (Drop point hunter with hamon modeled after a knife I saw here.) I really enjoy the whole process, especially the forging. I will be attempting hand forged damascus soon. I already have practiced forge welding some, some success some failure=learning. Thanks for all the great info that you share!

I'd be a little wary about using rebar for any blades. It's kind of a crapshoot whether it will have enough carbon, if much at all. Maybe test a small coupon before jumping all the way in, or just spend a few dollars on some known carbon steel.

So was there no episode last night? I didn't see one on looking through the guide, so I'm wondering if the season is over.

~Paul

My YT Channel Lsubslimed
... (It's been a few years since my last upload)

Paul, the third season is done....16 episodes. They've ordered TWENTY episodes for the next season.
-Mark

I'd be a little wary about using rebar for any blades. It's kind of a crapshoot whether it will have enough carbon, if much at all. Maybe test a small coupon before jumping all the way in, or just spend a few dollars on some known carbon steel.

Thanks! I knew it wouldn't likely produce anything great, just wanted the fun of forging from a completely different shape. The second one came out ok and it was good practice. It is a little work blade with thin purpleheart and Jatoba scales. The blade isn't super hard but it can take a beating. I have been using better steel for the knives I am making for gifts. The latest is forged from part of an old pick blade, probably not 1095 but it did harden with a nice hamon. I'll try to get some pics linked at some point.

I love the show! I think most others on this site do as well. If you don't like the show don't watch it. It sounds like the OP would like the Bachelor.

This is just like walking up to someone's front door and before you knock, hearing the couple inside fussing. You can't judge their entire marriage on 30 seconds worth of exchange. I am quite sure that much more happens off camera that is not so entertaining and palatable to the masses. It's all about production.

knivesunder100.proboards.com

I can't watch it because it seems incredibly fake/staged. Oh this guy walked in off the street and is going to drop $5k on a death star fire pit? In Wisconsin? Sorry. I don't believe you.

I can't watch it because it seems incredibly fake/staged. Oh this guy walked in off the street and is going to drop $5k on a death star fire pit? In Wisconsin? Sorry. I don't believe you.

But maybe he has a son who's brilliant but really irresponsible and kind of a jerk. Great drama and sometimes you get a cool product at the end? Right? :rolleyes:

I can suspend disbelief to enjoy something like Forged in Fire. I can't for fedora costumes and petulant children.

Are you talking about FiF? OR - some other show?

I have thought the same thing. It seems they think the pretty scales will make them stand out more then the others. Then their scales break.

In a pinch like that I would use some pins, or corbys and a good super glue.

Yes

I really wished that old black fellow with the damascus and the broken camel bone handle would have at least wrapped a shoelace around it and got it tested.

Back