Forged In Fire joke

I have an issue with that it will kill part as well. To me it just adds fuel to the anti knife crowds fire and they don't need help.

Part of me agrees, but then again, they are making recreations of weapons, who's main (or perhaps even ONLY) function WAS to kill. That, and I'm sure it gives a boost in ratings. :D

I have an issue with that it will kill part as well. To me it just adds fuel to the anti knife crowds fire and they don't need help.

If you have them make a Viking sword, then simply cut ropes and watermelons with it, the concluding phrase of "It will cut ropes and fruit" just doesn't really cut it.

The final challenge is never to make a whittling knife and see how well it carves a wooden chain. ;)

There making WEAPONS!!! No ones going to slice a potato with a Viking sword! Plus ratings! It's all for entertainment!

Daniel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder... I know that guy got kicked off for doing simple stock removal, but what if someone forged a billet, and cut it out on a CNC, would that still count? cutting it out on a CNC isn't too dissimilar from grounding it with a bench grinder right?

Hehe. When I was talking to them and they asked about my shop it ran through my mind to say I do all my forging at work. Then if I made it to the final they would get riveting scenes of me sitting in front of the computer modeling and programming while the laser and VMC bucked along 😂. But I figured that wouldn't go over well.

I wonder if they have any type of requirements for the home shop. I dont have a true belt grinder, but I have a makeshift one that works ok. I mostly forge a billet, and put it on my home made CNC. Id look at it as the same as stock removal with a grinder, if i just cut the outer shape with the CNC.

I also wondered how the steel and abrasives work. Do they give you steel to work with? What about problems at home, like your press brakes, or your sander brakes, do they pause the recording while you are down for maintenance? ALSO i thought about the tempering thing as well. I was convinced they didn't do it, but i always wondered how they don't break. Then I saw walter sorrels blade break, and it convinced me they don't temper the blades.

Hehe. When I was talking to them and they asked about my shop it ran through my mind to say I do all my forging at work. Then if I made it to the final they would get riveting scenes of me sitting in front of the computer modeling and programming while the laser and VMC bucked along 😂. But I figured that wouldn't go over well.

I dunno about you but I LOVE watching CNC's do their thing. Especially a VMC, considering i have a small home made one.

I wonder if they have any type of requirements for the home shop. I dont have a true belt grinder, but I have a makeshift one that works ok. I mostly forge a billet, and put it on my home made CNC. Id look at it as the same as stock removal with a grinder, if i just cut the outer shape with the CNC.

I also wondered how the steel and abrasives work. Do they give you steel to work with? What about problems at home, like your press brakes, or your sander brakes, do they pause the recording while you are down for maintenance? ALSO i thought about the tempering thing as well. I was convinced they didn't do it, but i always wondered how they don't break. Then I saw walter sorrels blade break, and it convinced me they don't temper the blades.

It's been mentioned several times already, but they absolutely do temper the blades, only it's done off camera after shooting the first round. At any rate, tempering doesn't mean a blade won't break for any number of other reasons.

As for the steel, it looks to me like the makers provide their own, outside of what's given to them for the first rounds before they final two go to their home shops.
As for problems at home, they've shown makers having a number of problems, including one maker who lost power and had to get large generator to keep working. Whatever the case, you still have only 5 days to complete the home shop project, no pausing. Now, whether they show any of the maintenance is up to the producers, though typically, it appears there's barely enough time to show the pieces being made, much less anything else.

I also wondered how the steel and abrasives work. Do they give you steel to work with? What about problems at home, like your press brakes, or your sander brakes, do they pause the recording while you are down for maintenance? ALSO i thought about the tempering thing as well. I was convinced they didn't do it, but i always wondered how they don't break. Then I saw Walter Sorrels blade break, and it convinced me they don't temper the blades.

WAtch his youtube videos

He did a recap and mentioned how the bright studio lighting screws with temperature judgement

Overheated blades are prone to breakage.

One thing that always annoys me is how every time someone uses the stabilized burl wood, It cracks or splits. Stabilized wood should be way stronger than that! I have been talking to J a little bit and even offered to send them some REAL stabilized wood from K&G or even just some Cocobolo.

Its giving wood a bad name that they seem to be using no name stabilzed wood off Ebay that cracks when you put pins in.

I know a whole bunch of people who watch it every week and have never once tried to make a knife. its quite popular with non knifemaking people. I actually enjoy it but know to overlook the thing that they do for the camera and production value.

Jay

I hate when the dude says surrender your weapon. It's a tool not a weapon.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I hate when the dude says surrender your weapon. It's a tool not a weapon.

I mostly agree. The first two challenges... those knives are designed as tools for a specific purpose. The final challenge is ALWAYS a weapon so I don't really take issue there. However, it is apparent they approach these knives from a fighting knife perspective, especially when Dough whips the blade around and talking about striking and recovery, etc.

It does irritate me when occasionally in a challenge, Doug will say "I'm sorry, I will NOT kill." Oh it will kill, even though they didn't perform perfectly, it is still lethal. But oh well, it is a show for entertainment not true education.

I've had quite a few "polite" disagreements with non knifemaking people who think they know about bladesmithing because of the show. My engineer brother was trying to convince me that the extremely banded hitachi blue knife I made was a clean canister weld. He talked about being free from inclusions etc. I explained the smelting process that results in that banding, and he insisted it was a canister weld.

I'd let him think you did an extremely clean canister weld :p

I've had quite a few "polite" disagreements with non knifemaking people who think they know about bladesmithing because of the show. My engineer brother was trying to convince me that the extremely banded hitachi blue knife I made was a clean canister weld. He talked about being free from inclusions etc. I explained the smelting process that results in that banding, and he insisted it was a canister weld.

facebook is rife with those armchair experts buddy.. The ones that have made two knives from mower blades but know exactly how a multi-bar/twist migration era sword is made..you know the ones Im talking about ;)

I'd let him think you did an extremely clean canister weld :p

Any suggestions to explain how I created this pattern then?

33229629825_19be384f18_k.jpg
[/url]IMG_0883 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr[/IMG]

O its lots of fun. I'm a college student studying metallurgy "Im also a knife maker for 4 or so odd years" and some friends of mine watch FIF. I have heard all sorts of stuff

"should have made his sword from tamahagane so it can never break"

"Why arent they tempering in water" "confusing tempering with quenching"

My favorites are when they talk trash about a maker based on his showing. I think it was in the episode Salem was in, there is a guy who is a master smith. Ive seen his damascus and it is bordering on unreal, but he did really poorly, i think he used his time to make a damascus billet. One of my friends said he could make a better knife than him! I then looked the guy up and asked if he could match that....

Back