free knife throwing video

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad you think it looks easy. It is easy, but a lot of people want to argue with me when I tell them that.

My advice is to get a copy of my book from Bobby Branton. He has the only autographed copies available right now.

By the way, everybody, I have tried to respond to every e-mail I've gotten (many dozens) but I am very busy with my work life this time of year, so a few seem to be falling through the cracks. If you really need to get in touch with me keep trying. Also I have regrettably had to turn some people down who were wanting a free video, which I'm not giving out anymore. If new people want one, why not do a post here on this thread asking for a volunteer to make a copy to send you. A number of people have been nice enough to tell me they would help in this way.

RT

Well I just ordered your book. I'm a newbie to knife throwing, but I like the idea of not being limited to fixed distances. I am very impressed by your video. I'm looking forward to learning your style of throwing.

Yes, your video and your throwing technique are both very impressive! I'll be ordering a copy of your book soon!

Could somebody please make a copy to send to me? I'd like a copy of the vid, as I'm fairly new and need all the help I can get for throwing. If you could do that, e-mail me at ilovehunting3006@yahoo.com so I can e-mail you my address. Title it "Knife throwing video" so I'll know what it's about.

Thanks
Buckman45

I'm afraid I don't know where the link is. I have a dial-up connection and wouldn't be able to see it. Can you post the link?

I emialed before reading the end of the thead too. Whatever, if anybody would like to send me a copy please contact me at ginshun@yahoo.com

Otherwise I am awaiting the link with as much patience as possible.

Awesome! I just started throwing while running and jumping and was wondering if anyone had written about such a subject. Count me in!

Got the video and showed it to a few friends - all impressed!

Can you post info on your book?

Thanks!

Loompanics Interview with Ralph Thorn
(2003)

L – Why did you write this book?

I wanted to make people aware that there is an alternative to the method of knife throwing taught in other knife-throwing books, as well as videos and other media. All of these that I am aware of repeat some conventional wisdom about knife throwing that I know to be wrong. Most important among these superstitions is the idea that throwing a knife in a non-rotating style, that is, with the same flight pattern as a dart or an arrow, is impossible, or at least very difficult. That's simply not true. It is actually much easier and much more effective to throw a knife so that it doesn't turn circles in the air, in what I call “spear style”.

And that one simple fact changes everything else that is taken for granted about knife throwing. If you throw a knife so that it just flies straight at the target, you don't have to always stand at the same set distances or use the same stances, the same arm angles, and so on, as conventional knife throwers do. You can throw from any distance, arm angle, or body position you like, in much the same way you would throw a rock or a baseball. Non-rotating throwing also enables you to stick targets that are moving in unpredictable ways, which is almost impossible with rotating throws. And all of this means that another very common notion about knife throwing isn't true, namely, the idea that it can't be used for self-defense.

L – How did you come up with this unusual style of knife throwing, and if it is really so much better, why hasn't anyone else ever thought of it?

Taking up knife throwing was just a natural response to the rural environment where I grew up, in the same way skateboarding, for example, is a natural activity for a young person living in a concrete jungle. I didn't have easy access to a basketball court or a baseball diamond and didn't often have other kids around to play with, but I did have an unlimited supply of knife throwing targets. Through some combination of accident and trial and error, I discovered and eventually perfected simple grips and knife balancing techniques that enabled me to do a number of things that the knife throwing experts obviously didn't know about, my method of non-rotating throwing being the most significant.
Whether my style is “better” for any particular person is just a matter of what he or she wants to get out of knife throwing. Traditional knife throwing is pretty much limited to standing at an unvarying specific distance from a target and trying to achieve greater accuracy from that spot. If that's all you want to do, it really wouldn't make much difference whether you use my style or the traditional style, although I do think you'd be consistently sticking knives much sooner with my style.
By comparison, what I do is much more wide-open. Spear-style throwing is undeniably far more effective for self-defense, and on the recreational level, it's just more fun to be able to move around as you like, as opposed to being glued to one or two spots. I don't have anything against the traditional style; I just have a hard time seeing any advantages in it.
Rotating throws do have a certain aesthetic appeal and they're something I enjoy as recreation. I should mention that I also developed what I consider to be an improved technique for rotating throwing, an underhand style that, like spear-style throwing, allows you to throw from variable ranges instead of just set distances. It also appears to be more effective for long-range throwing than the traditional overhand rotating style. One of the video clips I sent you shows me using this style to make a throw of about fifty feet. I have occasionally made throws from much further.
As for why no one else seems to have come up with this body of techniques I use, I think it's just human nature to do things the way that has become established. In World War I, millions of soldiers died uselessly, in bayonet charges against machine gun fire, because of military “experts” on both sides who were still fighting Napoleon's wars. Nobody doubts that you can throw a dart or a spear straight at a target, but for some reason it just became a convention that you're not supposed to throw a knife that way, and as a result people don't even try -- other than the occasional gimmick that comes along.

L – How much research and what kind of research did you do?

My research into the effective use of knife throwing in hand-to-hand combat was mostly hands-on as opposed to academic, primarily in the form of simulated knife fights with a trained combatant (a cop and amateur boxer). I have read several books on knife fighting over the years that were ingrained into my thinking while writing my book. My favorites are the ones written by ex-cons, because I feel like they speak with the most real-world authority, although I have to say that I tend to agree with the person who said about knife fighting “experts” that there is no such thing, because you'll always end up getting killed before you get in enough knife fights to be considered an expert. That certainly doesn't mean you shouldn't respect and seek out other people's opinions, just that this is an area where you have to take everything with a grain of salt.
The way that I present the basic knife throwing instructions is based partly on experiences I had teaching others to throw knives, and partly on my own experiences learning to throw left-handed over the last couple of years. Both of those things really helped me to relate to how a beginner perceives things.
L – What, in your opinion, is the strongest part of the book (new, original, best written, best researched, most valuable, etc.)?

The book is the only one of its kind, so originality would be its strongest suit. Also, something that I think really helps this book was the fact that I am able to do my own illustrations. I've been told repeatedly that my drawings -- of grips, stances, and so on -- go a long way towards making those things clear.

L – You've obviously gone to some trouble in getting these videos of yourself made. Why is it so important to you that people be able to see these videos?

Seeing is believing. The videos help people decide for themselves how much truth there is to my claims about what my style makes possible. I made some pretty strong statements in my book and claimed things that some people might not accept without evidence. For example, I've said that my style provides “greater power, range, mobility and consistency in hitting things point first” than the old style ever could. Also, there is the fact that many of the things I have been doing for years have never even been attempted by anyone else, as far as I have been able to determine -- not even in the movies! I'm talking about throwing knives ambidextrously, while jumping, running, spinning around 360 degrees, or lying on your back, throwing between the legs or around the back without looking at the target, throwing improvised weapons not even balanced for throwing in the non-rotating style, and everything else I do in these videos. (By the way, these video clips are fairly high quality, so they might take a while to load on a dial-up connection. But if you're curious to see some of what can really be done in with knife throwing, I think they are worth the wait.)

L – Isn't your book aimed more at the self-defense aspect of knife throwing? Why do so many of these videos show you doing complicated trick throws, which seem more like entertainment?

Part of the reason I like to show off these throws where I'm adding unnecessary complications is just to demonstrate how easy it is to throw knives with my style. After all, if I can stick knives into targets with either hand, while lying on my back, wearing socks on my hands, while jumping and spinning around in the air, and so on, how difficult can it really be? And the fact that it is so easy to get knives (or improvised weapons) to hit point-first, even while your body is contorted into positions one doesn't usually associate with being able to throw things well, is one of the important differences in my style that creates its potential in the area of self-defense.
It's true that my book stresses the self-defense angle, but all the basic techniques that make this fancy, recreational stuff possible are laid out in the book, too, including the juggling and twirling. People usually find these trick throws more impressive to watch, and if that will help create interest in the sport of knife throwing, then I'm all for it. I'm thinking of doing a full-length instructional video that goes into more depth about this kind of stuff. In any event, we'll definitely be posting more of the video clips on this page later, so interested parties should stay tuned!

L – In one sentence, why should someone buy this book?

Knife throwing can be easier to learn, more effective as self-defense, more diversified as a sport and just much more fun than people realize, and this is the only book that teaches you why and how.

L – Is your book written more for experts or curious novices? Does it contain any technical terms or procedures?

The book is directed towards people who have never thrown knives at all, though I do include some special pointers for people who use the conventional style, as they will need to unlearn certain things in order to pick up this style more easily. The few technical terms are defined in the body of the text as they arise.

L – What other books have been written on this same subject or similar subjects, and how does your book compare?

Combat Knife Throwing is the only knife throwing book oriented towards knife fighting and the only knife fighting book oriented towards knife throwing. There are many other books on these subjects, but my approach is so different that really the book creates its own subgenre. It wouldn't be a mischaracterization to say that my style of knife throwing is an entirely new and different sport, closer to being a form of martial arts than it is to traditional knife throwing.

L – Which groups of people will be most interested in the subject matter of your book, and why?

Martial artists, people interested in primitive weaponry, survivalists, professional combatants or amateurs interested in self-defense, and anyone who likes to participate in sports, particularly so-called “extreme” or “action” sports. And, of course, knife enthusiasts of all kinds -- not just the obvious, knife throwers and knife fighters.

This style of knife throwing is as well-rounded and flexible a sporting activity as you could hope for. Like the martial arts, it can be treated as a set of serious self-defense techniques as well as something bordering on being a form of dance. Like extreme sports, it can provide controlled risks and the kind of physical self-expression that comes from learning new tricks or creating your own. Like archery or traditional knife throwing, it can be centered around accuracy and distance competitions. And regardless of which direction you choose, it always has that visceral payoff you get when you stick a knife in something. Any knife thrower of any style will tell you that no other sport gives you quite that same feeling; that's the special quality that makes knife throwing so addictive.

L – Okay, that about covers it. Is there anything you'd like to add in closing?

I enjoyed creating this book, but I wouldn't have gone to the trouble if I wasn't confident that I have built a better mousetrap, so to speak, when it comes to knife throwing. But for me, the book is only one step in a longer journey. Of course, there's always room for improvement, but other than coming up with a new trick throw every now and then, I've taken knife throwing about as far as I can at the personal level. My main interest now is to teach what I have learned to others. I will only have accomplished what I want when there are people out there who can do at least some of the stuff I do better than I can myself, either using the methods I lay out in the book or, even better, finding ways to improve on them. To facilitate this, I would like people to be aware that I try to make myself available to answer questions put to me on the some knife chat sites, such as www.bladeforums.com.

Many of the people that I communicate with online are practiced traditional knife throwers. I'm pleased to say that they seem to be a relatively open-minded bunch and I have met with more curiosity than resistance. In fact, the responses I have had from conventional throwers who have actually seen me throw, as opposed to just reading things I have written, have universally been extremely positive.

My style is a whole new world for traditional knife throwers, knife makers, knife fighters or martial artists, but I don't feel like I am at cross purposes with any of these groups. I am convinced that if there is anything that has a chance of bring knife throwing to a wider audience (which is good for everyone), it is this style. The fact is, knife throwing has been around in its present form for many decades without making the slightest dent in more mainstream sports, and it is always going to be just a cult activity unless it expands into new areas. For many people, the traditional style just seems to require too much effort for the rewards it gives in return.

Worse, too many people still believe all this same old stuff about knife throwing -- that it is useless in self defense, that you have to nail your feet to a certain spot to stick the target, that the fancy stuff you see in the movies is impossible. I wonder how many potential converts to knife throwing are lost every day to these and similar myths. I think this is what holds the sport back, because the things many of the experts say are impossible are the very things that attract people to knife throwing to start with!

There's always going to be a place for the traditional style of knife throwing, but it's not for everyone. Even if someone doesn't think my style is right for them, I hope they will do me, and more importantly the sport itself, a big favor by not repeating any of these superstitions. The truth is, we have only scratched the surface of the potential of knife throwing, and at this point in its evolution we shouldn't take anything about this sport for granted.

Hello, if anyone could please send me the video, I would be eternally grateful. Knife throwing is my new favorite hobby and I just can't get enough. This video sounds like it should be right up my alley. I would buy it but I'm poor. Anyway, if any kind souls are out there, drop me a line and I can pay for shipping and handling at least! Thanks in advance.

Shao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back