free knife throwing video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys, we still have some more work to do, but we hope to have the videos finished soon. We are trying to put as much up as we can.

Bobby

alright, I've downloaded and watched the video.

sorry to tell you that this throwing-technique is nothing new. it has been done before, in old Japan. it is known as shuriken-nage or shuriken-jutsu.

there are basically the same "no-spin" techniques and even the design of the throwers is pretty similar. the center of gravity of the throwers in the video, that look like S&W throwing knives by the way, is in the hand due to the taped on weights. that works to keep the rotation low, just like the design of the japanese shuriken.

the aquired skill is pretty good, but the technique is pretty old.

you can also have a look at a pretty good online resource on the topic here:
http://www.secrets-of-shuriken.com.au/

and for the able-to-read-japanese or just looking-at-the-pictures folks:
http://www.mumyouan.com/shuriken/index.html

Ookami

Ookami said:
alright, I've downloaded and watched the video.

sorry to tell you that this throwing-technique is nothing new. it has been done before, in old Japan. it is known as shuriken-nage or shuriken-jutsu.

there are basically the same "no-spin" techniques and even the design of the throwers is pretty similar. the center of gravity of the throwers in the video, that look like S&W throwing knives by the way, is in the hand due to the taped on weights. that works to keep the rotation low, just like the design of the japanese shuriken.

the aquired skill is pretty good, but the technique is pretty old.

you can also have a look at a pretty good online resource on the topic here:
http://www.secrets-of-shuriken.com.au/

and for the able-to-read-japanese or just looking-at-the-pictures folks:
http://www.mumyouan.com/shuriken/index.html

Ookami

No one said that it was new. I only said that it was a new way of throwing for me personally.

well, not exactly...

but, especially in the interview, one gets the impression, that it was something completely different from anything before. while that maybe true for traditional knife throwing in western nations, it isn't for japan and china. so it is a reinvention of an existing system, whether he knew of shuriken-jutsu or not.

furthermore, it is rather difficult to throw that way with "normal" throwing knives. he says that this is not so, but why then has he optimized his knives?

I don't want to say it doesn't work, it is just that I wanted to add some useful info to put things into perspective.

Ookami

When I say it is "new", of course I am talking about new to the western knife throwing community, and also I am talking about the whole body of techniques. I use four different types of throws, the overhand no spin being only one of them. It is the best of them, but only one. It does not surprise me at all that others have discovered these techniques independently of me; I have encountered that before. That's why I always say I "developed" my type of throwing, not that I "created" it. The distinction I would make is that I "created" my own system, which again involves many things, not just the one technique of the overhand spinless throw. It makes me very glad to finally hear that there are others who know that the spinless throw works best with handle heavy knives and I want to thank you for making me aware of it. I have encountered a lot of resistance on that subject and this gives me some independent confirmation.

Of course I optimize knives for best performance; I would be silly not to. But there is whole section on the video demonstrating that I can throw a lot of objects that are not optimized, to say the least, using the same technique.

If there are any throwers out there, Japanese or otherwise, who can replicate the full body of what I do on that video, or for that matter even a sizeable percentage of it, they need to publicize it better so that the rest of us can see it. If somebody does, I will stop claiming that my system is "new". Otherwise it doesn't really concern me. I hope I am not sounding defensive or anything, because this is very good information you are providing here and what you are saying is basically correct, but you have to realize that this does seem to be truly new to the English speaking world, which frankly has some superstitions when it comes to knife throwing. The first thing I have to do is dispel those myths. And before we can even get people to watch we have to make it clear that it is something different from what they are expecting when we say "knife throwing". That's why we say "new".

ert

That video was nice, and since I don't speak Japanese, Ralph is a good option.

I really liked when he had to put all his weight to take the knife off the tree.

I was sceptical about static throwing, but not anymore.

But please DON'T THROW A BALISONG AGAIN! :p

Hi I am a newbie knife thrower and would very much like a copy of the video my email is rob_dunlop_13@hotmail.com so if anyone could help me out with that Id be very apreciative of it..also does anyone kno where I can get a copy of the book?

SNAFU said:
All, here is Ralph's video in portions (Thanks Ralph) demonstrating him in action. You can download the file from the following link http://rapidshare.de/files/10936890/Raph_Thorn_Knife_Throwing.rar.html.
The video is compressed in .rar format and is approximately 36.6 MB. The enclosed files are actually in Quicktime format. If you are a rapidshare member then you know what to do, if not just click on the "Free" section and it will take you to a download screen.
If you need to get WinRar you can go to: http://www.download.com/3000-2250-10007677.html
I think it greatly shows Ralph's technique and is a good primer for his book and upcoming full video. Enjoy :D.

SNAFU, I can't seem to download the file from the link that you provided. Any advice on how to do it?
Thanks,
Robert

Rat Finkenstein said:
Try the link in my above post. . . it works, I just tested it yesterday.

Thanks a lot, Rat!
It took quite a while to download 189 mb, even with my broadband, but it was worth it.
What a fantastic video. That's how I'd like to be able to throw.:thumbup:
Thanks to Ralph, too.

Robert

Kajuna said:
Thanks a lot, Rat!
It took quite a while to download 189 mb, even with my broadband, but it was worth it.
Thanks to Ralph, too.

Robert

Believe me, it was even longer to upload...

I did it 3 times:

First time, my sister turned the computer off before I could get the link
Second time, Ralph lost the link (we still love you Ralph:D )
Third time was the right one.

Like we say un French: "Jamais 2 sans 3" (never 2 without 3)

Kajuna said:
Thanks a lot, Rat!
Thanks to Ralph, too.

Robert

No problem. I just bought Ralphs book, and I hope to learn the techniques as well. I cant wait for the instructional video to come out:thumbup:

cybrok said:
Believe me, it was even longer to upload...
I did it 3 times:
First time, my sister turned the computer off before I could get the link
Second time, Ralph lost the link (we still love you Ralph:D )
Third time was the right one.
Like we say un French: "Jamais 2 sans 3" (never 2 without 3)

So we have you to thank as well.
Thank you cybrok.:)
It's a fascinating video to watch. Repeatedly.

Robert

All I did was repost his link, so he is the one to thank, of course Ralph as well- for making the video;) :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back