I Tested the Edge Retention of 48 Steels

Larrin Larrin

Most people when talking about Japanese kitchen knives tend to consider VG10(which normally is 60-61 HRC) a poor choice compared to Blue Super(which is more commonly around 63 HRC) in regards to edge retention and potential sharpness.

I value Super Blue in the kitchen, not because of it's edge retention... But because of how easy it is for me to take the steel to a very keen edge, and how quickly I can bring that edge back when it dulls.

VG10 did better than Blue Super because its wear resistance is significantly higher, and the CATRA test is a wear test. Hardness also increases wear resistance, but carbides have more effect. The dotted lines in the chart show the average effect of hardness so that steels can be compared at different hardness levels. When doing that BD1N slightly outperformed 14C28N.
I value Super Blue in the kitchen, not because of it's edge retention... But because of how easy it is for me to take the steel to a very keen edge, and how quickly I can bring that edge back when it dulls.
Yet most people(talking kitchen knives) tend to believe Blue Super has superior edge retention... maybe an example of people believing what they want to believe perhaps because it is generally more expensive?

Yet most people(talking kitchen knives) tend to believe Blue Super has superior edge retention... maybe an example of people believing what they want to believe perhaps because it is generally more expensive?

🤷

Hello!

Thanks again for this!

Just a quick question - any thoughts on where T1 would probably fit in?

Thanks and best,
Alex

Hello!

Thanks again for this!

Just a quick question - any thoughts on where T1 would probably fit in?

Thanks and best,
Alex
I haven’t tested T1 but part of the reason that M2 largely replaced it is because M2 had both higher toughness and wear resistance. (And they wanted a high speed steel with less tungsten in it).

Larrin Larrin I dont know if this is the right place to ask, but do you have any thoughts on ZDI-1016 Damascus steel? Seems extremely uncommon outside of Russia. There was one other thread found on BF where no one really chimed in on it.

I asked a dealer who sells Russian knives in this steel and he said it has "high-alloy steels 60☓14 and 140☓18"

Heres some info the OP of that thread was able to find, and it lists two different steels (analogs of the steels listed above?) than the dealer is mentioning.

Product GradeZladinox ZDI-1016
Material Composition140H18 steel: C 1.46-1.65%, Cr 17.5-19, Si 0.15-0.4, Mn 0.15-0.35 — 60H14 steel: C 0.56-0.65%, Cr 13-15, Si <0.8, Mn <0.8%

Larrin Larrin I dont know if this is the right place to ask, but do you have any thoughts on ZDI-1016 Damascus steel? Seems extremely uncommon outside of Russia. There was one other thread found on BF where no one really chimed in on it.

I asked a dealer who sells Russian knives in this steel and he said it has "high-alloy steels 60☓14 and 140☓18"

Heres some info the OP of that thread was able to find, and it lists two different steels (analogs of the steels listed above?) than the dealer is mentioning.

Product GradeZladinox ZDI-1016
Material Composition140H18 steel: C 1.46-1.65%, Cr 17.5-19, Si 0.15-0.4, Mn 0.15-0.35 — 60H14 steel: C 0.56-0.65%, Cr 13-15, Si <0.8, Mn <0.8%
The 140H18 is like a very high carbon 440C similar to the non-PM XHP which was called 440XH. Relatively high wear resistance and and very low toughness. 60H14 is like 12C27.

The 140H18 is like a very high carbon 440C similar to the non-PM XHP which was called 440XH. Relatively high wear resistance and and very low toughness. 60H14 is like 12C27.
Thanks for the response. Sounds like it would make a pretty good knife assuming HT and whatnot is done well.

I don’t think audio is a good format for Knife Engineering since so much of it relies on charts and images.
The charts are the especially interesting and helpful. Thanks for your efforts Larrin. Well done and much appreciated.👍

Wow, this is pretty awesome. Thanks for the great read. One of the things that always made me question other edge retention test results I've seen was the number of uncontrolled variables, some of them massively important (e.g. basic geometry).
That’s one deep rabbit hole. Really interesting read and I confirmed many of my long enjoyed biases😂

Larrin Larrin Do you think you will ever come out with an article (or even a post) discussing your top choices personally for different tasks? Would be interested in hearing what steels in various (rough) price ranges for things like chef knives, camping/bushcraft knives, filet knives, etc. Additionally hearing what hardness you think would suit the specific use best would also be very intresting to hear.

I dont recall your book or site discussing your more subjective thoughts on what works best where. I think I speak for a good nuber of us when I say it would be very cool to hear it.

Larrin Larrin Do you think you will ever come out with an article (or even a post) discussing your top choices personally for different tasks? Would be interested in hearing what steels in various (rough) price ranges for things like chef knives, camping/bushcraft knives, filet knives, etc. Additionally hearing what hardness you think would suit the specific use best would also be very intresting to hear.

I dont recall your book or site discussing your more subjective thoughts on what works best where. I think I speak for a good nuber of us when I say it would be very cool to hear it.
I usually recommend steels in terms of toughness-wear resistance balance (high toughness, balanced, high wear resistance) and also type (low alloy for forging, high alloy, stainless). Though that is mostly geared towards knifemakers rather than purchasing finished knives. It's not always just the best steels for chef's knives but that also includes different countries of origin. USA, Japanese, and German kitchen knives all tend to use different steels. So what you're recommending has utility though it does have some difficulties and pitfalls.

Last edited:
Different qualities you need to pay attention to when it comes to steel are: sharpness retention, toughness, rust resistance, and how easy you can sharpen it. There are actually no types of steel that excel in all four.
As far as performance go,you ad blade geometry,heat treatment,hardness..

I usually recommend steels in terms of toughness-wear resistance balance (high toughness, balanced, high wear resistance) and also type (low alloy for forging, high alloy, stainless). Though that is mostly geared towards knifemakers rather than purchasing finished knives. It's not always just the best steels for chef's knives but that also includes different countries of origin. USA, Japanese, and German kitchen knives all tend to use different steels. So what you're recommending has utility though it does have some difficulties and pitfalls.
The main pitfall is probably being dragged down into the gutter (aka the discussion) with the rest of us :)
Different qualities you need to pay attention to when it comes to steel are: sharpness retention, toughness, rust resistance, and how easy you can sharpen it. There are actually no types of steel that excel in all four.
As far as performance go,you ad blade geometry,heat treatment,hardness..
Is this a response to my post?

Back