I want to make an 8" fighter

Ok guys....I did a drawing tonight while watching "Shackleton" with the missus. :thumbup:

Fighter.gif

Here's what I'm thinking:

Main grind will be a deep hollow grind on a 14" wheel

The secondary grind will be Scandi. ;)
So, it will end up being almost like a sharpened false edge...but better because it will be a usable angle. For those that don't want it sharp, I can deburr it to make it dull, but leave it thin.

I did as much taper as I could in the blade - I have to fit it inside the Combat Master sheath - the maximum is 8" long, 1.75" wide. And it should fit perfectly.

The handle is a symmetrical version of my MUCK handle, including a nice pommel crusher.

Let me know what you guys think!

Dan

Looks good so far Dan. All I was going to add is look at classics like the F/S Commando Dagger and the Gladius and then interpret them in your own way.
Gladius.jpg

LinderCommandoDaggerNet.jpg

Yes!!!!!

this has a great handle guard, can be held in all positions, and with that type of handle I don't think any texturing will be needed, the butt and guard will keep it well anchored in the hand under stress. The secondary edge as scandi is a really good idea, I never thought of that. The primary hollow, with the secondary scandi will avoid the issue a lot of double edged knives have, sharp edge/weak point, or sturdy point / poor edge.

the geometry of the knife fits well to all the major techniques I can recall.
a) pass and slash/stab
b) gunting/scissoring type counters
c) inverted trapping techniques with primary edge inwards, while still having a really sharp edge outwards to do inverted slashes
d) shaves/rakes/carves/picks

THAT IS EXCELLENT!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited:
I'd like to see less of a flare on the pommel. Maybe asymmetrical.

I do like the integral hilt/guard, but would prefer a lower profile pommel for less snagging, greater grip flexibility.

Can you radius the stress riser where the false edge begins?

Otherwise looks good.

3D version of Dan's sketch

4014588228_8095a26aa1_o.jpg

I think the tip geometry on this one looks significantly better than my previous iterations.

I've done some thinking about the handle - and agree that an asymmetrical butt would be a good idea - easier to use for chopping/slashing...yet, the handle will remain symmetrical up to that point for comfy reverse grip.

:up:

Here's a new drawing:

Fighter3.gif

It seems out of proportion to me, it's too wide. Look at the Gladius.

I don't know. I thought the Symmetrical handle looked kind of cool. It makes itself different from all the other fighters out there.

I say build a prototype of each and see what you think.

Here is an idea or 2 and if I may be so bold:

I have a CS OSS which used to be a sub-hilt and had pronounced guards, since they are made of rubber I trimmed to taste

IMG00033-20091018-0944.jpg

IMG00034-20091018-0945.jpg

Is 8", the handle favors 1 grip style but offers a belly to slash and a super sharp point, it can be made as heavy or a light as you like by changing the grind or width of the blade, I have 2 models and 1 of them looks like another generation as is wider and heavier. I added an inner tube for grip but you can work that with another choice of grip material.

Another idea which I love is the Dueling knife from Laci Szabo

dueling_knife2.jpg

dueling_knife3.jpg

If you are thinking of a fighting knife it's got to be light and fast IMO, imagine a guy with a rapier fighting a guy with a broadsword, unless they are wearing armor the rapier is faster on target and recovery.

I've done some thinking about the handle - and agree that an asymmetrical butt would be a good idea - easier to use for chopping/slashing...yet, the handle will remain symmetrical up to that point for comfy reverse grip.

:up:

Here's a new drawing:

Fighter3.gif

Interesting for sure.

no need for thumbnotches, guys....one grind is longer than the other and there is a guard on both sides....maybe you could explain more?

I guess perhaps "fighter" is misleading....because, yes, a true fighter would be an "Arkansas Toothpick" style. But I am less interested in that, than I am a "Combat Fighter". In other words, something I would have no problem sending out across the pond to the sandbox knowing it would be used for everything from stabbing/slashing to opening doors....that could be used wet or dry....could handle a fair amount of abuse and have enough weight to do damage to whatever is on the receiving end of it.

Make sense?

Dan

Yep, but who's going to carry it considering the load of stuff they already carry that aren't optional.

When I think of a "Combat Fighter" I think of the Randall Knives #14.

Attachments

• Randall14small.jpg
    Randall14small.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 55
Back