I want to make an 8" fighter

I love the Heavy deep fried smatchet, but the lightweight dagger/fighter has certain appeal. Heavy knives are abundant.]

FYI-This is Dan's latest design idea and moves away from the fighter...

If so then it changes my original input. A utility fighter has to be capable of many things. I think about this a lot. If I had a brother and had to send him a knife what would it be???????????
They don't do buschraft, skin animals, carve notches etc... it has to be more "urban", modern materials, thick, strong etc... They scrape, dig, punch holes, pry, hammer, break metal, cut wire and synthetic materials, open crates and bags, clear weapon jams etc... Yet it cannot be super heavy or gigantic, they already carry a heavy burden with other type of equipment.

a well made Americanized Tanto or something like the Buck Nighthawk Bravo. I have a friend in the Rangers and they swear by the CS Recon Tanto type but I know that is because of many factors such as cost and advertising, it can be improved a lot. Another inspiration could be the XSF-1 dagger. Strong tip but double edged.

If so then it changes my original input. A utility fighter has to be capable of many things. I think about this a lot. If I had a brother and had to send him a knife what would it be???????????
They don't do buschraft, skin animals, carve notches etc... it has to be more "urban", modern materials, thick, strong etc... They scrape, dig, punch holes, pry, hammer, break metal, cut wire and synthetic materials, open crates and bags, clear weapon jams etc... Yet it cannot be super heavy or gigantic, they already carry a heavy burden with other type of equipment.

a well made Americanized Tanto or something like the Buck Nighthawk Bravo. I have a friend in the Rangers and they swear by the CS Recon Tanto type but I know that is because of many factors such as cost and advertising, it can be improved a lot. Another inspiration could be the XSF-1 dagger. Strong tip but double edged.
What to do?...When I ride a new horse, it react's differently to the same aid:confused:

Maybe a poll can be made to be filled by servicemen only. I have not been in combat so I cannot say for certainty what do they need on a daily basis. My guess it should not be out of the ordinary tasks for the most part but we need their input.

Tanto, Dagger, spear point, Drop Point, Clip etc...
3-4", 5-6", Over 7"
Prying pommel, skull crusher pommel, round pommel etc...

Regardless of what's happening in the other threads I'm still hoping this knife is a winner.
I love Dag's

Thanks for the input, guys. This one is definitely going to happen - just need to clean things up on the design...still kinda looks odd to me...LOL

The reason I came up with this is that I have quite a few friends that have been to the sandbox and back and have asked for something to fit this bill exactly. Combat-ready fighter. Door-breaching is best done with a nice hatchet/hawk....but this would make a great backup. Also needs a pommel crusher of some sort. Those 2 things were the most common requests by these guys that have used stuff in the field. Secondary was edge-holding (but still up there) as well as ease of sharpening.

I don't want it heavy - I want it light, but balanced forward to be blade-heavy. I'll drill out the tang - like I do with everything else. Also needs to be near-indestructible and be able to handle heavy abuse. 3/16" thick CPM3V is about as close to indestructible-yet-still-light that I can get. With "short" flat grinds it would be tough. If I did hollow grinds, I could probably take it up to 1/4" thick.

Dan

What would the benefits of a thicker hollow ground be for your stated application?

lateral strength....slenderness ratio (Length-to-thickness ratio)
better edge geometry for cutting

Dan

QUOTE=Daniel Koster;7730083]Thanks for the input, guys. This one is definitely going to happen - just need to clean things up on the design...still kinda looks odd to me...LOL

Dan[/QUOTE]

Looks odd to me too...LOL
It kinda looks like a 250 B.C. Roman sword.
Is the "odd" where the blade gets wider toward the point???
I really like the hollow grind design.

Back