I want to make an 8" fighter

The handle should tell you how is the blade oriented, by ergos. No groves IMO to allow for different schools of fighting, edge in, out, reverse etc...

A good friend of mine is a unarmed combat instructor for the Royal Marines. He was trained to fight in the style of Fairbairn Sykes. That was 20 years ago and he has not stopped learning in that time. Anyway he recently converted a RTAK II into a fighting knife by modding the handle slightly, dropping the point close to the mid line and lastly putting a long swedge (about half the spine) on.

He's really happy with it as it fits his fighting style. I think your knife Dan is very much to his taste and will be showing this thread to him shortly. Nice work mate.

Thanks, guys!

RoyalM - would love to hear what your buddy has to say!

:thumbup:

Dan

Dan,

Have you seen the old Al Mar Quest III? It's a big blade but regardless what steel it's made from it's the best balanced, most fighter-like in my collection. An 8" slighty recurved double edge fighter would be awesomeness. It's the bottom blade....
fbm.jpg

What ever happened to the blood holes? How about something like this, with decreasing size ellipticals.
kosterfighter2-1.gif

What ever happened to the blood holes? How about something like this, with decreasing size ellipticals.
kosterfighter2-1.gif

Conceptually, elliptical holes look really cool; however, functionally, I'm not sure how Dan would produce them. Sure, the actual holes could be waterjetted into the blade, but chamfering the outline of the ellipticals would be difficult. It may be possible, but it would probably require special (i.e. really small) chamfering bits and a CNC mill.

thumbs down on blade holes. I like the look, but they really make the blade a pain to clean after use. If you are just going to look at it I guess it does not matter.

Get rid of the holes in the blade.

I like the center spine. It adds strength to the dagger design which generaly suffers from an inherent weakness.

Looks good and I would be interested.

2zjcok4.jpg

just got one of these and its near perfect for a "fighting" knife

fa1jqh.jpg

i've heard a lot of good things about this one but sog decided to pull the plug on it and i can't find one at a reasonable price. the market would probably scream for something similar to this if you made it

I think it depends on the Knife Fighting School that is requesting the knife.
Filipino
Crossada (american style with Bowie)
WW2 Knife Combative
Tanto-Jutsu (Japanese/Samurai)
etc...
Each one of the above would ask for a different style blade.

I found the one from Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works had a lot of appeal. Ted has since changed this so its not done quite like this now. Mine is a rather old one. Here it is fresh back from Ted with a new refreshed finish and new kydex sheath. A double edge combined with a very profound "Skull Crusher" (what Ted calls this model) pommel is something I think of as necessities in a fighter model.

STR

Attachments

• Fighter By MMHW 001.jpg
    Fighter By MMHW 001.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 42
The FS dagger and the SOG do not really fit the 'profile' for the type of use Dan has specified. Those blades are too narrow and likely too light and neutrally balanced to be able to be affective at much beyond straight fighting and would really be poor choices for door breaching and most field tasks.

I think a knife akin to what Alfaholic posted would be a better option for the stated use. Maybe we will see something like this in the future as a different offering.

The last thing I would use a dagger type blade for is door breaching. Plus to the extent of my training I'm not going to put the time into breaching a door involved with slinging my rifle back, unsheathing a knife and prying the door open, then having an open door holding a knife. Its my understanding that in "tactical" situations your knife will be used as a last resort.

I guess perhaps "fighter" is misleading....because, yes, a true fighter would be an "Arkansas Toothpick" style. But I am less interested in that, than I am a "Combat Fighter". In other words, something I would have no problem sending out across the pond to the sandbox knowing it would be used for everything from stabbing/slashing to opening doors....that could be used wet or dry....could handle a fair amount of abuse and have enough weight to do damage to whatever is on the receiving end of it.

Make sense?

Dan
FYI-This is Dan's latest design idea and moves away from the fighter...

So maybe something Smachet like? Those are fairly robust.

Hmm..

Koster + Smachet = Koshet... or would it be a Smater? I'm Going with Smater.

Kinda like a tater, but more pointy. If it was made of an oil quenched steel you could even say it was deep fried. :D

Back