Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it and will not purchase knives with it

• I dislike it to the point I will not consider future CRK

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
to be honest, I am very disappointed that this stamp is being put on the knives. The small sebenza would be my grail knife if not for the stamp. the sebenza should stay simple in appearance. I would be fine with the stamp being on the inside of the slabs. that way the idaho people still get their "IDAHO MADE" pride, but it doesnt take away from the outside appearance of the simplistic knife. I really hope they change and stop stamping them. And like freq18hz said, if they do stop, then that short run of idaho made stamped knives will be very collectable

I guess I missed that the stamp is going on the fixed blades as well? Or is the picture in the post below a PhotoShop edit?

I just got my Chris Reeve Nyala in. I'm sending it back because it has "Idaho Made" engraved on it!!! Just kidding. Love the knfie but I hate leather for a sheath. Looking for someone to build a good piece of custom kydex for this. Trick is it has to attach to my Junglas Pack padded waist belt. Belt is 1/2" thick and about 2.5" wide. Any suggestions from those who frequent this forum?

nyala.jpg

At first I was pretty indifferent to the stamp, I didn't care that it was there and it wasn't going to stop me from purchasing a new CRK. After receiving a new 21 with the stamp, I like it and applaud CRK for putting in on there. It's nice to see a company being proud of where their products are made and adding a stamp to represent the state is a nice touch. I for one will continue to purchase knives with the stamp.

It's nice to see a company being proud of where their products are made and adding a stamp to represent the state is a nice touch.

I guess it's a nice touch for 1,466,465 people, but if an origin stamp was inevitable, I would have just preferred, "USA".

I guess it's a nice touch for 1,466,465 people, but if an origin stamp was inevitable, I would have just preferred, "USA".

Agreed - or Idaho, tang stamped in small font - anything a little more low key. PurpleHaze has the right to post his opinion but I did puke in my mouth a bit for a couple of reasons after reading it. Might as well buy 'em since CRK is stubborn about this. They're the same quality made knives, just uglied up a little and the stamp probably isn't noticed after some time. :p :)

The Idaho Made doesn't bother me at all. I don't see why it's creating such an uproar. I do however think that it would look much classier if it only said "Idaho" along the top curve of the handle.
I don't think putting it on the blade is a good idea. The blade looks perfect the way it is; simple and clean.

The handle was perfect the way it was; simple and clean. :confused:

I know I was unclear about this, but I agree. The handle is perfect simple and clean. But the Idaho Made does not bother me. I don't mind it.

Have not read the entire thread but did look at the numbers. I voted as someone who would not purchase the knife with the IDAHO MADE on the blade. I just started looking to purchase one about the time this started and if I do purchase one I guess it will have to be an older one.

With that said, only 94 people liked it while 473 disliked it. Just over 48% will not purchase the knife because of the logo. The beauty of these knives to me (other than their obvious quality) is the clean lines and simple elegance of the knife.

The new logo to me looks akin to hanging a license plate around a diamond. I'ts clunky and just doesn't fit with the design of the knife. This is just my opinion though.

Pride in your state is fine. I live in Texas and we are all about state pride but I don't want to own anything with the outline of the state, a star or the word Texas in bold letters. I'll leave that to the tourists.

Some folks are already backpedaling now that the knifes are being made with S35VN steel and looking to buy even with the stamp. This often happens with something that no one really "needs" but rather wants. They get their panties in a wad over one thing or another but in the end the old "want" factor ends up back in control of the process. All it takes is something they "want" more then what they thought they hated.

I see your point perfectly. For me however, I am very specific on what I want and what I do not. A good example for me is the new Sage III. I have been wanting this knife ever since its conception. Then, it was released with what I thought would be dark blue scales. Instead it is smurf blue. I honestly can't swallow hard enough to choke it down. I could probably even put a dye job on it but I don't want to put in the effort. So I am going to pass on a knife that was just what I wanted because of a cosmetic issue for me. To each their own though.

... A good example for me is the new Sage III. I have been wanting this knife ever since its conception. Then, it was released with what I thought would be dark blue scales. Instead it is smurf blue. I honestly can't swallow hard enough to choke it down....

I'm with you on this one. I bought the sage I, Carbon Fiber, love it. I will buy the sage II, titanium RIL, cool (bought a real sebenza first, that's why I don't own the sage II yet). Like you I've been waiting for the sage with the axis lock...my dear good god that blue is ugly :thumbdn::thumbdn: on what is otherwise a pretty classy knife.

Will probably have to pass on the smurf blue sage III.

ThumperACC

I've changed my mind about this.

I think it's disrespectful and kind of rude to complain about the stamp.

Chris Reeve can put anything he likes on his knives as he is the designer.

Last edited:
I apologize if I offended anyone – that was not my intent.

Chris Reeve Knives is, and always has been, a different company. When I introduced the Sebenza in 1988 while we were still in South Africa, I was told by some people that the mechanism was great but the knife was ugly. But it broke new ground; we have won many awards because it grew on people and more and more people liked it.

I am the one who is responsible for the wording and the placement. I did it to be different and to be noticeable because (1) I am proud that our knives are made, not only in the United States but in the beautiful State of Idaho and (2) we are one of the few knife companies left that are completely USA made, and with US materials.

We have produced a couple hundred handles in various models that need to be assembled and sold. Suggestions of where “Idaho Made” should be positioned will be considered. It is important that this should be engraved to safeguard the integrity of your knives going forward. There are many Chinese knockoffs, the quality of which is improving all the time.

We appreciate your interest in our knives but you must realize that we are human too!

Chris

Well said. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back