It followed me home (Part 2)

That style of poll axe is often called a 'killing axe'. Most date from the late 1800's or early 1900's.
well, thats what i'v been hearing, when you'r on a budget, gotta use what ya got, and if that means killing the cow with the splittin axe instead of a rifle, so be it

well, thats what i'v been hearing, when you'r on a budget, gotta use what ya got, and if that means killing the cow with the splittin axe instead of a rifle, so be it

Actually, these were used routinely in slaughterhouses. It was the tool of choice. There was at one time an interesting post - or two - on these, right here, I think you can find it (with some help from modern tech :) ).

jblyttle, those old vices are cool. I'd like to find one of those but here in southern AZ not a lot of good items to find.

It's a Maine head, maybe an E&S as it has the date stamp (23). I cleaned it and will post better pics.

Everything for $41.50

1.jpg

American Logging Tool Co. peavey - Evart, Michigan, hand carved wood shovel in the style of a Harvey Ward shovel, Disston thumbhole ripsaw in great sharp condition, True Temper Kelly brushhook like new, 16" US made Channellocks, Corona hedge trimmer, aluminum garden shovel (my new cathole shovel for backpacking), and lastly an 8" hard black Arkansas stone.

Everything for $41.50

1.jpg

American Logging Tool Co. peavey - Evart, Michigan, hand carved wood shovel in the style of a Harvey Ward shovel, Disston thumbhole ripsaw in great sharp condition, True Temper Kelly brushhook like new, 16" US made Channellocks, Corona hedge trimmer, aluminum garden shovel (my new cathole shovel for backpacking), and lastly an 8" hard black Arkansas stone.
You just can't beat channellock !
My favorites are some original 1933 champion De'arments that are still going strong, then I've got some channellock dykes that will even cut string and rope.

This is one that came from Latvia billed as being a “WWII German Wehrmacht Soviet RKKA axe”

found with a bunch of relic-ish materials from WW2.

Is it? I don’t know but it looks old, is crusty, and probably will be a good time to make a handle for it and try it out.
3lbs 12oz

llEk7ef.jpg

QNZnUFs.jpg

Last edited:
This is one that came from Latvia billed as being a “WWII German Wehrmacht Soviet RKKA axe”
Quite sure its not RKKA...
It might reveal WWII German markings ! Clean it up !

Back