It followed me home (Part 2)

Does that half hatchet have red epoxy in the eye perhaps ? Because the color of stain on that handle points towards plumb, and it could be a late Cooper era plumb ( I've got a plumb fiberglass handle framing hammer that is only marked with USA on the bottom of the black rubber grip )
Though it used to have plumb printed in white on the handle and your half hatchet could've had the same on its handle.

It does not have red epoxy in the eye.

I like that hollow shave. Nice finds.

I picked this up at a yard sale for $1 today. I can't find any markings on it. It has a sharp edge on it.

J3xrYNk.jpg

rjdankert rjdankert , Bob your bench is starting to look like the one from that cooper’s video we had going here a while ago! Dogs, Swifts, hollow knives, rounded saws, in-shaves, adzes, drivers, and crozes.

34217260224_a563aa7101.jpg

L1VUjpr.jpg

Very cool :thumbsup:

Last edited:
That's an interesting half hatchet head of sorts right above that Kentucky head, I've never seen one like that before.

I like that hollow shave. Nice finds.

I picked this up at a yard sale for $1 today. I can't find any markings on it. It has a sharp edge on it.

J3xrYNk.jpg

A little bit of a sidetrack from axes but I'm always excited to see P. L. Robertson screws in service outside of their home range. Thank you!

A little bit of a sidetrack from axes but I'm always excited to see P. L. Robertson screws in service outside of their home range. Thank you!

Right on 300six, good eye!

Those old expressions, "See the forest through the trees" or "can't see the wood for the trees" came to mind after I looked at osage outlaw's picture again. I think you landed dead center.

That made me laugh for some reason, thanks :thumbsup:

Jblyttle, I sometimes run out of things to say about your incredible finds but something about "estate planning" and "inventory" crossed my mind just now. :)

Estate sale in Schenectady. It's sharp and tight, but the wedge isn't pretty. I know about zero about vintage axes. On the bottom it has a "2" above the eye and a "3" below it. 28" handle.

image-222322_zpsx1iqxj6t.jpg

image-222389_zpsppjf208s.jpg
image-222391_zpsls9fza4y.jpg

That's a Maine double bit in very good condition. Very hard to find at least in most of the country. Not the best fitted hang on the replacement handle but a nice old octagon handle too. The number may mean it's 2 3/4 lbs. but would need a closer look to be sure. Nice axe!

I stopped at an antique swap meet this morning on the way to work. I picked up a ready to use #14 cast iron skillet and an unmarked ax head. I'm not sure what brand the skillet is. Does anyone know?

gDjS9Zz.jpg

LqwA7UE.jpg

Last edited:
Today's haul.

. . .
It seems likely to me that the S & N...

... is likely a "Hutchins" era (1998 - 2012) Penobscot Bay Kindling Axe.
http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/snow-nealley-time-line.1355076/

"1998 Christopher Hutchins buys Snow & Nealley."

From contributions by Steve Tall found on the WayBackMachine. Note the sticker used in 1998:
31118525632_aff9ebb83f_c.jpg

Sticker in 2000:
31135103532_57cb97851b_c.jpg

In 2003 tool making stops and resumes in 2007.

"2012 Chris Hilty’s family buys Snow & Nealley and moves business to Smyrna."

"2015 Quote from Chris Hilty “'The heads are drop forged right here in the US. The previous owner, before we bought the place, he had to go overseas.'" China?

2001 ad (retail $37.95):

Bob

I stopped at an antique swap meet this morning on the way to work. I picked up a ready to use #14 cast iron skillet and an unmarked ax head. I'm not sure what brand the skillet is. Does anyone know?

gDjS9Zz.jpg

LqwA7UE.jpg
The skillet looks identical to the paper label Lodge I bought in the early 80's with the exception of the hanging hole.

Back