Jimislash has a new Competition Chopper

I wish I could share your optimism, but I think the 22 posts were because their brand ambassador got his feelings hurt. If they cared about the people on this forum, it would not have taken 2 years for them to engage. Jimislash and Stickman have been active here, so GSM knew we were here all along.

I wouldn't describe myself as optimistic. I don't actually expect things to get better.

It's certainly possible my interpretation of events gives GSM too much credit, without a doubt I think the rep joined and was acting in the interest of GSM, and not in the interests of the members here. But never the less, they felt the need to join, and interact on this forum. So maybe they do actually care what we think, if only in regards to how it might affect sales.

And if there's one thing we can count on when it comes to corporate America- they care a lot about sales. So maybe if they do some reading here, and come to the realization that good customer service matters more than they thought, and that it could actually affect sales, maybe customer service will improve. After all, the idea that good customer service is good for business (sales) is not a new or obscure concept.

But of course, those are some BIG "maybe's". :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't describe myself as optimistic. I don't actually expect things to get better.

It's certainly possible my interpretation of events gives GSM too much credit. But never the less, they felt the need to join, and interact on this forum. So maybe they do actually care what we think, at least in regards to how it might affect sales.

And if there's one thing we can count on when it comes to corporate America- they care a lot about sales. So maybe if they do some reading here, and come to the realization that good customer service matters more than they thought, and that it could actually affect sales, maybe customer service will improve. After all, the idea that good customer service is good for business (sales) is not a new or obscure concept.

Well, I have 4 videos on my youtube channel featuring Cold Steel Products, and I consistently post positive reviews on Amazon and Knifecenter. Until something changes, that's the end of it.

Last edited:
S Shaun Cazin Sorry to go off topic here but I was wondering why when I now buy a Cold Steel folder that is drilled and tapped for a left handed pocket clip, that it no longer has a left handed pocket clip included?

I have emailed about this issue repeatedly but have heard nothing but crickets.

Hello all,

I don’t want to derail this thread, but since this is thread is getting a lot of attention, I wanted to let everyone know that we have some announcements to make regarding to the lefty and ambidextrous pocket clips. I will start a new thread later today once I have a chance to finalize the new procedures.

-Shaun

It's certainly possible my interpretation of events gives GSM too much credit, without a doubt I think the rep joined and was acting in the interest of GSM, and not in the interests of the members here. But never the less, they felt the need to join, and interact on this forum. So maybe they do actually care what we think, if only in regards to how it might affect sales.

Sadly, I doubt it. They probably know that we’re less than 1% of their customer base. They just need to crank out product after product. Customer service? Ptooey. Who needs that, right?

Don't know if it's Jimi's technique, the knife, or a bit of both, but not very impressive. Knife seems to bounce more than bite, and the water bottle slice was pathetic.

The knife is rolling in his hand hence the need for further iterations on the handle.

The chopper is still a prototype, a new handle design was just completed and sent out for testing based on Jimi's feedback from that competition.

Don't know if it's Jimi's technique, the knife, or a bit of both, but not very impressive. Knife seems to bounce more than bite, and the water bottle slice was pathetic.

Carothers 4V FTW:

it's almost like there is a difference in skill level isnt it?
Who cares about what was actually happening. Where was all the cool tough guy music and video editing?

I'm no expert and wasn't going too say anything, but I've seen Jimislash before on a video and thought it looked like he was using the knife like a small bat. I've been using khukuri for so long, I tend to use that snapping technique with everything, including machetes and my Skrama. It doesn't look to be very efficient (Jimislash's technique), but again, I don't know how they do things in those competitions.

That second video was the first one I've ever seen. Definitely looks like someone watched a bunch of old Cold Steel Proof videos and created a competition based on them, without meat boots and pig carcasses 😆

Last edited:

Carothers 4V FTW:

^^^ Yeah, that's pretty awesome. That's the real thing.

Also, here's a small woman with some skill and a real comp chopper with a race winning performance:

I've been watching this thread with some morbid curiosity.

^^^ Yeah, that's pretty awesome. That's the real thing.

Also, here's a small woman with some skill and a real comp chopper with a race winning performance:

I've been watching this thread with some morbid curiosity.
I almost posted one of Jo's vids, but thought Ben's was a bit more apples to apples. But both absolutely kick ass!

The knife is rolling in his hand hence the need for further iterations on the handle.

The chopper is still a prototype, a new handle design was just completed and sent out for testing based on Jimi's feedback from that competition.

In my opinion, the handle is largely what makes a knife in this particular application. The blade geometry and steel have to be spot on (people have that dialed in pretty well) so the handle is often what sets a lot of these apart. I commented on this earlier. It looks to me like the handle is significantly different. I don't feel like the knives in this discussion are significantly the same. Who cares about the stylistic similarities? The tip looks the same, so what? This is a race knife, that doesn't matter. I don't even need to hold one to see they're different. Speaking as a knife designer: the functional differences in any knife are not always easy to see in a picture. A real functional knife (like a real weapon or a competition cutter) requires iterative development that doesn't always look cool or result in easily visibly different designs. This is one of the things I love about Bladesports. All the BS falls away and real performance shines. Do your homework and you'll win. Worry about styling similarities and you'll miss the boat.

If you want to impress me cold steel... run the course with a banana...

I noticed Jimi pulling the chopper from a nice leather sheath. I wonder whether Cold Steel will release them with that, or will they go with the craptastic wipe the edge off Secure Ex sheaths? I bet it will be Secure Ex.

I wonder whether Cold Steel will release them with that, or will they go with the craptastic wipe the edge off Secure Ex sheaths? I bet it will be Secure Ex.
You would be safe placing that bet.
KaBar and Buck both can provide a perfectly usable leather sheath for their fixed blades at a reasonable price, why Cold Steel doesn’t is beyond me. Hell, that cheap Spyderco (Bow River or something like that?) comes with what looks to be nice leather. I’m sure I’m not going to get anything done by bitching, but come on S Shaun Cazin , surprise us.

You would be safe placing that bet.
KaBar and Buck both can provide a perfectly usable leather sheath for their fixed blades at a reasonable price, why Cold Steel doesn’t is beyond me. Hell, that cheap Spyderco (Bow River or something like that?) comes with what looks to be nice leather. I’m sure I’m not going to get anything done by bitching, but come on S Shaun Cazin , surprise us.
🐐

Back