Keyring-sized multitools - what works for YOU?

I pretty much always have a knife with me - either a modern folder or a nice slip joint.
Besides this dedicated cutting & slicing tool, I always have a watch, my wallet, and my...keys.

My keyring is where I attach my TRUE every day carry tools - the same stuff that is with me, all the time.
I tried many tools and useful items over the years, and here's my current set:

KeyRing01_small.jpg

KeyRing02_small.jpg

(Victorinox Classic, oldie Swiss+Tech microtech, Swiss+Tech Utili-Key).

For a comfortable weight, I get small cutting implements (plain and serrated), small pliers,
a nice array of screwdrivers (flat, phillips, many sizes), small scissors (mostly for personnal grooming),
small nail file (That, I can do without), and of course a bottle opener (on the utiliti-key).
This fullfills all my "city" needs, in a small and light package.

I used to carry a leatherman Micra or a PS4; both were very nice but for some reason, I tend to prefer
my current set (too bulky? I'm not sure).

What works for you? What do you really EDC on your keyring?

My keyring-size tools are selected to supplement whatever full size multitool I carry on a given day. Since most of the time that would be a Leatherman Charge, Super Tool or Juice, a Vic Rambler provides toothpick, tweezer, nail file and an inoffensive sharp for when I need to be discrete. When I carry a scissor-less Vic, my Style CS accompanies. On the rare occasions I pocket a solo keyring tool, that would be a Micra, which still has IMHO the best screwdrivers and scissors in that category.

Despite what they are called, I never carry them with my keys. Instead, they ride in my jeans watch pocket clipped to a Photon fob, except for a P 38 that I carry in a change purse, mostly as a souvenir from my Army days. It had been years since I actually used it for anything, but only yesterday I took off the bottom of a discarded can so I could flatten it to save space in a recycle bin. It worked great, almost as fast as the can opener on a full sized multi-tool.

This is my current setup, though the P-38 is mostly there for giggles. As for a keychain multitool, I find even the 2 ounce PS4 to be too bulky for my key/tool ring, and I sometimes carry it loose in my pocket. The Vic Classic is how I usually ride, though.

ring.jpg

Besides my keys, a Fenix E01 flashlight and Victorinox Midnight Manager are always on my keyring. In the past I rotated the keychain multitool, but the Midnight Manager is there for a long time now. It has a nice array of tools and I never thought I would use the pen as much as I do.

I always carry a Vic Classic and a Craftsman quad screwdriver piece. I find both handy from time to time. I used to carry a Mini-Champ. I love that knife, but don't like anything heavier than a Vic Classic on my keychain.

0213142953.jpg

Just pulled this out of my pocket:

89255343.jpg

I had a Vic Classic on my keychain for a long time, and it was great. But I felt the scissors were pretty wimpy and not as useful after trying a Leatherman Micra. I tried carrying a Micra and then Squirt S4 for a while. I liked the design of the Squirt better, but the scissors on the Micra were more useful for the sharper tips on them. The tips on the Squirt scissors are a little too blunted for my taste. Both the Micra and Squirt proved to be too bulky for EDC keychain carry though, especially with the other stuff I carry. I went to a Spyderco Ladybug for a bit, and while it was an excellent little keychain knife, I started missing having other tools on my keychain. I was going back to the Classic when I came across the Rambler. I just picked up one in stayglow, and it's perfect (for now :D). I rarely use the scissors, so I've come to realize that having a smaller lighter one is fine. It works well for the occasional thread, material trim, or unexpected personal grooming. Anything more involved, and the Rambler blade or my EDC knife would probably be better suited.

I really like that the Rambler blade opens opposite the keychain ring. I also like having a toothpick and tweezers again (no matter how dinky, they're better than nothing). Don't drink beer enough for me to care about the bottle opener (and I can open a bottle with all kinds of stuff...even another bottle), but the small phillips head is a welcome addition over the Classic.

I carry a SAK sportsman on a big ol carabiner clip that my keys are on. It works well with jeans but I might buy a mechanic key ring from countrycomm.

On a a mini carabiner I have my keys, an ACR whistle, and a Fenix E01. In my other front pocket I carry at least an 84mm (or larger) 2-layer SAK. The teeny-tiny keyring SAKs don't cooperate with arthritic paws.

Being a minimalist, I go with a Vic classic on my keying, along with a Fenix EO1, with a Sear's 4-way screwdriver and a P-38 in my wallet. It's so rare I need a pliers, that I don't carry one, but I use need a screw driver now and then. I find the little 58mm sak's a valuable tool for day to day life in suburbia.

Carl.

I'd like to add that I also edc an alox Farmer. The Rambler, the Farmer, and my small fixed edc blade take care of most things I'd encounter, and they're always on me. I carry a Swisstool Spirit X in my edc pack for the pliers and other tools.

When hiking/backpacking/camping, I carry a leather man micra for the excellent scissors (perfect for to cutting and shaping moleskin). I also carry Uncle Bill's Silver Grippers (ticks an splinters), a Photon, and a Tru-nord button compass on there. Vic PE OHT in pocket fixed blade on belt.

The only tool on my keychain is currently a P38 can opener. It's a surprisingly good can opener and a rather useful tool. I have a 4-way screwdriver in my wallet, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

I'm thinking about a mini Raker ring tool, or maybe a Wenger Air Travel (for work).

I just bought a Leatherman Style PS. No blades, so legal anywhere. Lightweight and wellmade. I'm really pleased with this one.

This is my current setup, though the P-38 is mostly there for giggles. As for a keychain multitool, I find even the 2 ounce PS4 to be too bulky for my key/tool ring, and I sometimes carry it loose in my pocket. The Vic Classic is how I usually ride, though.

ring.jpg

glad to see that im not the only that carries a p-38 lol

I carry a black Leatherman PS4 with the pliers and scissors.

I love it:thumbup:

Back