Keyring-sized multitools - what works for YOU?

Fenix LD01 and a Swiss Tech. I tried carrying tools with pliers but nothing that small was able to do the job. The Fenix LD01 uses just one AAA so getting batteries is easy. Also, I have the stainless version and it's built like a tank. The Swiss Tech is nice because with one squeeze it comes off your keyring and I can use it freely. I have found that when using one of the drivers if I open it to 90 degress instead of 180, I can get a lot of torque. I always have a traditional pocket knife in another pocket.
2012-03-12_20-55-12_807.jpg

I just took delivery yesterday of a Leatherman ES4 (ES = Electrical Stripper as the main tool)

I haven't tried it on wires yet, but the overall design is impressive. For now, it has replaced my Vic Classic, despite the big weight increase.

LINK to ES4 @ Leatherman.com

Hey defaultuser,

Can I play, too?

keysyj.jpg

Arc AAA-P, titanium whistle, titanium pocket tool.

SAK and micro widgy

...and some keys. :)

Last edited:
For keyring I just use a Vic Classic and nothing more. Mostly because of the scissors and the tweezers. I have serval on several keyrings (I have many doors to open ;) )

Kind regards

Well, I tried my Squirt ES4, but it is too bulky and heavy, compared to the Classics I'm used to.

I have a used Rambler on the way, which may replace the Classic, with only a tad more thickness.

I'm experimenting with my wife's keys too, to see what she'll tolerate. She has all KINDS of crap on her keys: rubber figures, discount cards we no longer use, a dead flashlight... But when I put the Micra on her keys, she immediately complained that it was too heavy. I guess it is the weight, and not the bulk that bothers her.

I've got a Victorinox Tomo in sky blue on the way for her. She likes boxy things, and she thinks it is a cute design. I think it's a lot of !@#$% money for a bulked-up Classic with fewer tools. I think this was designed for women, even if their back story is that it is some magical Japanese design theory. :rolleyes:

You guys should also try out an Executive, too. It´s a little bit longer than the Classic, but there are more tools, and even a secondary blade. Mine is in a little aid-box I carry in my rucksack as a backup.

Kind regards
Andi

I have a used Rambler on the way, which may replace the Classic, with only a tad more thickness.

I replaced the Classic on my keychain with a Rambler. The Rambler is a cool knife for sure. But I'm sort of torn about using it on a keychain. My favorite 58mm Vic, the Mini-Champ, is simply too heavy for a keychain, IMHO. But the Rambler seems to be most of the way to being as heavy as the Mini-Champ, but with only marginal utility over the Classic. The combo tool it adds is very cool, admittedly. But given the weight, I may return to a Classic for keychain.

The Mini-Champ is a lot of fun. I will probably tie a lanyard on mine (so it won't get lost) and start pocket carrying it.

... But the Rambler seems to be most of the way to being as heavy as the Mini-Champ, but with only marginal utility over the Classic. The combo tool it adds is very cool, admittedly.

The combo tool is what adds most of the weight I think, as it is quite thick compared to every other implement on the knife. But it also adds 3 more functions to the knife. That said, the combo tool is only half of the added functionality for me. The other half is having the blade open away from the keyring. It is kind of frustrating on the Classic, trying to use the blade without the keys getting in the way.

The Mini-Champ is a lot of fun. I will probably tie a lanyard on mine (so it won't get lost) and start pocket carrying it.
As it happens, I have a Mini Champ on the way too, from the same seller of the Rambler. (got them both for under twenty bucks) I was thinking it would make a good daily carry option (off the keyring) for office workers such as myself. I'm looking forward to using that "orange peeler" to open clamshell packaging, and to try the Wharnecliffe blade for whittling.

I think the lanyard is a great idea, but 550 paracord might be too bulky for this little guy. (?)

As it happens, I have a Mini Champ on the way too, from the same seller of the Rambler. (got them both for under twenty bucks) I was thinking it would make a good daily carry option (off the keyring) for office workers such as myself. I'm looking forward to using that "orange peeler" to open clamshell packaging, and to try the Wharnecliffe blade for whittling.

The Mini-Champ is one of my favorite models for sure. The cuticle pusher implement is borderline worthless, but the rest of it is really cool. And it's a well designed tool. I think I prefer the Executive slightly more for a minimal carry. But the Mini-Champ is right up there among my very favorites.

...a little swiss classic, shard, and sometimes i'll attach a little fenix or maratac

I always have a Swisskey on my keys. Gets everything I would need a pocket driver to do done easily. I keep accidentally bringing it into court on my keys and security doesn't give it a second look.

This is what I like to have close at hand.....

- SAK classic
- Modified keyset with tritium vial
- Titanium vial in purple
- GK&T mini tool
- Toggle lock/handcuff key
- paracord wrapped 2"x1/8" firesteel
- e-tools micro litium light

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

wife's keys, true utility key, rambler, and a mall coin.
IMG_7594.jpg

in my wallet there is a p38 and a dmt cc size fine diamond plate, a victorinox replacement pen, water resistant plasters, and a piece of blu tack.
IMG_7596.jpg

and i carry these on my keys, though not all together every time,
screwpop, lee valley pocket screwdriver, split pea lighter with an extra flint, small capsule with nurofen pills, photon freedom, p38/safety pin, and a wire ring
missing from the photo is a vic classic and a rambler, one of which i always have there.
IMG_7593.jpg

reduced my edc a bit, to a more comfortable carry.

keys
rambler, photon freedom,

maxpedition keyper on car key

wallet
p38, pocket screwdriver, plasters, safety pin

pocket
case peanut, bandana
small bic lighter, cigarettes in a small zippo box
phone

IMG_7612.jpg

Hey jack what is a:
"water resistant plasters, and a piece of blu tack."
I carry stuff in my wallet as well.
And what is the round metal washer for?

And what is the round metal washer for?

The washer looking item looks to be a spark plug gapping tool, which also can be used as a screwdriver(standard), with a thin to thick edge fitting different sized screws. They can usually be found at the counter of various auto supply stores.

Vic Classic (in Alox for extra thinness and scratch resistance) and a solar-powered LED flashlight.

Back