Keyring-sized multitools - what works for YOU?

I have a Swiss tech Screwzall that resides on my key ring. I also have about 6 rare earth magnets stuck to it (1/4" dia X 3/32" thick), safety pin, SAK classic, P-38. Used to have a couple of ponytail holders on it when my girls were little.

Ric

Here's what I'm carrying today:

• Case Peanut, in pocket
  • Streamlight Keymate LED flashlight. This thing is brilliant.
  • Nite-Ize mini S-biner. Lets me hook my keys different places so I don't lose them. (i.e. belt loop)
  • Poland bottle opener. I'll probably replace this with a SAK Classic that is due in tomorrow.
  • The rest of my keys, I keep in a key wallet, separate from the car keychain. It prevents them from scratching other things I'm carrying in my pocket

Once I have the SAK Classic back on the keychain, I may start carrying a larger pocket knife again. The Classic will have back-up duty. I love to pocket carry a Classic, but they only last a few months before they fall out somewhere when I put my legs up. I hope I have better luck with the Peanut...

Key_EDC.jpg

Here's what I'm carrying today:

• Case Peanut, in pocket
  • Streamlight Keymate LED flashlight. This thing is brilliant.
  • Nite-Ize mini S-biner. Lets me hook my keys different places so I don't lose them. (i.e. belt loop)
  • Poland bottle opener. I'll probably replace this with a SAK Classic that is due in tomorrow.
  • The rest of my keys, I keep in a key wallet, separate from the car keychain. It prevents them from scratching other things I'm carrying in my pocket

Once I have the SAK Classic back on the keychain, I may start carrying a larger pocket knife again. The Classic will have back-up duty. I love to pocket carry a Classic, but they only last a few months before they fall out somewhere when I put my legs up. I hope I have better luck with the Peanut...

Key_EDC.jpg

The classic and peanut make a good urban pair. I carry a classic on my keyring, si I can't leave the house no matter what, without a knife. I carry the peanut down in my right pocket, with a bandana loosely wadded up shoved down on top of it. Keeps it from falling out. Try that with your classic, may stay put longer.:thumbup::D
Carl.

The classic and peanut make a good urban pair. I carry a classic on my keyring, si I can't leave the house no matter what, without a knife. I carry the peanut down in my right pocket, with a bandana loosely wadded up shoved down on top of it. Keeps it from falling out. Try that with your classic, may stay put longer.:thumbup::D
Carl.

Thanks Carl, that's a great idea. I don't carry a hanky normally, but I might have to consider it.

By the way, here's the updated keychain EDC with the new Classic on it instead of the bottle opener:
Key_EDC2.jpg

Also, some haved talked fondly about the Victorinox Rambler. I had a Manager, which is a Rambler, but with a retractable pen in one scale, so it's just a bit thicker. Next time I have it taken by the TSA or fall out of my pocket, I'll probably get another Manager or even Midnite Manager. (adds LED flashlight)

That's a good minimalist keyring, Smaug.:thumbup:

I've got one of those little Streamlights, and it's a bright little sucker. Lots of light from a small package. Only thing I didn't like was the button cells were expensive batteries. My other minor obsession is small/tiny flashlights. It's surprising how far you can go with a 58mm sak and a small flashlight.

Carl.

I don't like having a huge ball o' keys weighing down my pocket, so I keep my keychain as light and simple as possible. I find that a small LED flashlight and SAK suits me just fine for tools. I used to be a big fan of the Victorinox Classic and carried one faithfully for years...

...until I met the Vic Rambler. It's a tad thicker than the Classic but the added tool-blade really comes in handy: cap-lifter, wire-stripper and small magnetic phillips screwdriver. As previously mentioned, the blade on the Rambler opens opposite of the keyring unlike the Classic; a little design tweak from Victorinox that makes a huge difference! :thumbup:

vansak01.jpg

small02.jpg

(...) It's surprising how far you can go with a 58mm sak and a small flashlight.

Carl.

True. The Fenix E01 and Victorinox Midnight Manager on my keyring are mainly there as backup tools, but I could do perfectly fine with those two in daily life. Been carrying the Victorinox Executive this week as my pocket knife, really nice SAK.

Added a Gerber Shard to my key chain along with a Victorinox SAK Classic(custom scales), which I find suitable for keyring duty...

o223818190.jpg

Only thing I didn't like was the button cells were expensive batteries.

Carl, you can get a sheet of 5 or 10 (or more) of those puppies pretty cheap on ebay. There are many Asian sellers (I guess many/most button cells are Chinese made), so maybe watch for U.S. vendors for faster domestic shipping. And I like to watch for name brands.

It's surprising how far you can go with a 58mm sak and a small flashlight.

Its really a lot of fun to do that. You are right that you can rule the world with a Classic SAK and a Photon, EO1 or similar light.

I too EDC a Classic, Swiss-Tech pliers, and a Utilikey. Except I have them in different places. Swiss-Tech is attached to my man-purse. Vic attached to keys. And the Utilikey rides on another ring along with a couple duplicate keys and my kubaton. No matter what I can grab I will likely have something I can make work.

Leatherman Micra, Squirt PS4 and Style PS are regulars in rotation. The Mini Bear Jaws is a neat little tool also. :)

Added a Gerber Shard to my key chain along with a Victorinox SAK Classic(custom scales), which I find suitable for keyring duty...

Stormdrane - Where'd you get that cable keyring? I had one a while ago, and used it until all the insulation wore off, then until it finally broke. Couldn't find another one at the hardware store.

Thanks HikingMano. There's a high probability that he won't see or reply to it, so I appreciate it. ;)

I sent ya an email with links, since I have gotten those types of cable key rings from County Comm, like HikingMano mentioned, and also from a couple of different sellers on ebay. The only noticeable differences in them were slight variations in the cross hatching on the screw barrel. You can find some with different color vinyl sleeves on ebay, which may offer a little protection from scratching up any anodizing on flashlights or keyring tools.

The cable key rings do tend to come unscrewed over time, in/out of the pocket, so as long as I've kept track of them being tightened, they've not come undone on me. I did try using some threadlocker on one once, but then I couldn't get the bugger unscrewed and ended up using wire cutters, lol... YMMV ;)

Stormdrane said:
nd also from a couple of different sellers on ebay. The only noticeable differences in them were slight variations in the cross hatching on the screw barrel. You can find some with different color vinyl sleeves...

This is the kind I had. The vinyl cracks and falls off after a while, but who cares? The cool thing about the one I had is that it did not need the screw collar; One simply twisted the cable into a Figure 8 pattern, which would unlock it. Very quick and easy, and it never came undone by accident.

Back