Kitchen Knives of choice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that not all Henckels are created equal. The Twin Select knives are their premier line, and have the best performance of their series.

Also, what's necessary in a home kitchen is very different from what is needed in a restaurant.

I personally use Cutco for my serrated blades, both for the guarantee, which is better than any other guarantee on the market, and because they cut smoother, better, and longer than any other serrated blade that I've ever used.

Thanks for weighing in....appreciate your observations.

1. I can recommend Cutco and have used Cutco, but I don't OWN any Cutco. I don't like serrated knives, and am not real crazy about plastic handles....that would probably change if I were back in a restaurant, and I am starting a new career as a butcher, so who knows?

2. Wood can be less sanitary....Arizona desert ironwood stands up to soaking in the sink remarkably well. My favorite for kitchen knives is that danged Dymondwood, in pleasing colors. I only put crappy knives in the dishwasher.....it beats hell out of the edge.

3. While I wrote above about not like serrated knives, there is one caveat to this. I like a serrated bread knife....they tend to work the best for me.

4. 440A isn't bad steel per se, it is all in the heat treat. If I remember correctly about Cutco, they do heat treat the steel a little on the soft side.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

440A is a bad steel. It is crippled from the start before heat treating, and it doesn't have the potential to compete with actual good steels when they also have a good heat treat. It is true that a well heat treated 440A knife might be able to compete with a poorly heat treated premium steel,but that is only because the premium steel was poorly heat treated. That would mean a flaw in the manufacture of the other knife, and that doesn't make 440A any better as a steel.

Cutco knives are bad, and poorly and cheaply made. Simply not as bad as other stuff. Its clear that they do take short cuts, have unethical marketing and charge a huge premium.

Their guarantee is pretty worthless as well. I'm skeptical of the quality of sharpening Cutco offers, I am pretty sure that they are just run through sharpening machines, especially since I don't think any of the reps are going to bring over industrial equipment to your hose, nor are they trained to sharpen by hand.

The replacement at half price is just as silly. All it means is that you're buying direct from Cutco and not paying the other 50% to the commissioned salesperson. Cutco is still making every cent of profit on replacement, the middleman is just cut out. To Cutco, the middleman is only there for marketing purposes, and is fully disposable once he gets friends, neighbors, relatives and anyone who he can con into buying the knives to become loyal customers.

And replacement is no big deal. With the quality of the knife, and the price you pay for them, you should really be getting 5 or more for the price you pay.

It is like if I went and bought some $30 forshners, sold them for $150, and tell people that even if they destroy them, I will be more than happy to replace them for $75. I've already made a ridiculous profit on the initial sale to cover the occasional replacement, and if the person wants a replacement at half cost, I'm still making a decent profit selling the replacement at half price.

Remember that not all Henckels are created equal. The Twin Select knives are their premier line, and have the best performance of their series.

I have some made in China ones that cost $10 that I would take over Cutco.

Also, what's necessary in a home kitchen is very different from what is needed in a restaurant.

Its true that you may not need as nice of a knife in a home kitchen, but why should someone pay the price of a pro-knife for an amateur knife?

Conversely, some people like nicer knives in the home because that is where they will be well taken care of. Either way, Cutco wants to charge a premium price for a not premium knife.

Shun/Global is probably my favorite for straight edge for production knives. Can't get much better than folded steel for your straight edges.

Yes you can, and the implication that folding steel somehow makes knives better is idiotic.

Handle material: Wood is generally less sanitary than something less porous (another reason why I like my Cutco, although the handle design is better for home cooking than for the speed you'd need in a restaurant or line kitchen). What kind of pins and how many, and whether they've been machined flush with the handle. Copper pins are generally not as good, or other reactive materials. Is it dishwasher safe, or does it have to be handwashed? That's something that's nice, and very very few kitchen knives are dishwasher safe.

Number of pins does not mean anything. The quality of construction of the handle is far more important. A 3 rivet handle on a cheap knife can fall off, but virtually any accepted handle construction can be made to last on a quality knife, including rivetless, stick tang knives. Implying that a handle doesn't function well at a fast speed simply means that a handle doesn't function well at any speed, it just forces you to go slower. A handle that allows you to go fast will also be comfortable going slow. No one uses copper pins except for custom makers who want a certain look. That is one of the stupidest strawman arguments I've heard. Many knives can be washed in a dishwasher, but knives will rattle around when hit by jets of water, and that is just bad for any knife. The big difference is whether or not the manufacturer feels that this is an acceptable practice. The edge of a Cutco knife will get tossed around and dinged like any other knife.

Blade material: I'm not sure this matters as much. I personally think stainless is better than high carbon, because maintenance of the blade to prevent rust tends to be unsanitary, but as we've seen, there's lots of different opinions. Higher carbon blades tend to stay sharp longer and are easier to sharpen, but a good stainless steel with a good heat treat can do a comparable job, and is much easier to deal with. I just wish Cutco would use 154CM or S30V or even 440C. The 440A makes me a little skittish.

It isn't unsanitary, and carbon steel is simply higher maintainance, and can degrade faster with acidic foods. That has nothing to do with sanitation. Maintenance to prevent a knife from rusting involves washing your knife, which you should do with any knife, and it is far more sanitary than leaving it dirty, and then drying it, which you should still do with any knife, stainless or not.

he blade has to be wide enough that I don't bang my knuckles on the cutting board. That's one thing I really hate about some of the Shun knives. It's gotta have a nice curve so I can get a nice rocking motion for my cuts.

Maybe you should actually buy a Shun chef knife. They are just as tall and bellisome as most of their German counterparts.

does it rip and tear, or does it cut clean? That's the one thing about Cutco that is better than any other company, aside from the guarantee. Hype aside, I've never found another serrated blade, be it Spyderco, Benchmade, or Shun, that can cut as cleanly or stay sharp as long. How long is the cutting edge?

Maybe you should actually look in order to find. Shun has the best "serrated" pattern on their bread knife that produces smooth cuts and is sharpenable with rods.

I've built up a good collection of knives over the years. I had a pretty sweet chef knife addiction before my pocket knife addiction so I've built up a pile of Shuns, Globals, Wustofs, Macs, Ceramic knives and Kasumis, etc.

Mostly I've used Globals over the last few years. They fit my hand just right. And that's important if I'm using a knife for 12-14 hours a day. I tend to have really big hands with short fingers, so I like the handle shape. Other knives all have 1 or 2 things I like about them, but none have the total feel of a Global for me. The are a pain to sharpen, but they get there.

My recent kitchen favorite is a Wustof Cordon Bleu chef knife. This series has been discontinued, so I'll have to find a few online. I've been using it pretty exclusively for the last 6 months after I let my Globals get dull so (before I got an apex) I grabbed this one to get by and fell in love with it. I'm a pretty big fan of the hybrid knives. Its razor sharp constantly and quite a bit lighter than the global. It has that lighter feeling without feeling too light or like a toy. Thats mostly my problem with Macs or Kasumis. I just feel like I'm going to break one every time I hold it.

There's a huge difference between a knife one uses as a profession tool, and one as one used in a household. I've been a professional chef for 20 yrs now, and i can guarantee that any High Carbon Steel knife will

Last edited:
will hold a edge longer, then any stainless steel, or stainless steel blend knives. IMO Kitchen knives are all personal preference. There are many specific knives used for specific purposes, but i think a all around good knife is a 10"Chef. I have big hands, so i prefer a larger handle, after that I like a knife thin enough to run through vegetables, but strong enough to debone meat, and finally a bit flexible to fillet fish. A knife maker friend of mine ( Dave Flowers ) came up with a few designs based on some old Masamoto Western style blades crossed with some others that worked well for me in the past. Mr. Flowers has been concentrating mainly on Chef knives for the last few years. I longer chef, but still use a 10" high carbon, with giraffee bone inlays made by Mr. Flowers. If anyones interested here's his # Dave Flowers 310.676.2270 If I can help anyone in anyways find a knife suited for them feel free to email me.

Cheers, G

While there are lots of stainless knives that don't perform as well as their carbon steel counterparts, there are a number of stainless steels that perform just as well as carbon or excel in certain areas beyond the capabilities of plain carbon steel.

While there are lots of stainless knives that don't perform as well as their carbon steel counterparts, there are a number of stainless steels that perform just as well as carbon or excel in certain areas beyond the capabilities of plain carbon steel.
Curious C-9 Which Stainless knives that you prefer over 1095 knives are you referring to?

I agree with your comment about a proper heat treatment I prefer the top 1 1/2" of my chef knife softer while the bottom 1/3" treated from back tapering to the tip hardened .

There are some good Japanese knives made by folding layers of soft and hard steels together that IMO work well for certain applications, Masamoto is one of them. Global knives are rarely used in kitchens, and if they are they are they are mainly used by people fresh out of culinary school. They dont hold a edge very long, and the handles made for people with tiny hands.

If anyone thinks that a "Cutco knife" should be in the kitchen, they need to stay out of mine. Cutco, is like Amway for knives. They recruit people to sell there worhtless knives targeting members of there family hoping to sell even just one knife at $150.

I'm still a fan of my one sided 1095 10 inch chef with linen micarta inserts. Sharpened with my Masamoto wet stone when needed. I like linen micarta as a grip material because if your spending the day cutting meat, fish, etc.. the blood wont cause you to lose your grip.

Morrow, I could dig the gyuto! But what exactly is a yanagiba? A hybrid of a traditional Yanagi? The shapes a bit bit different then a yanagi, it has a bit of a curve to it, but what would it be used for? Yanagi's are used for cutting Sashimi.

My kitchen knife of choice is a Michael Kaiser custom made from 154CM steel. Micarta scales are easy to hang on to and there is enough space to pinch grip the knife comfortably. As a premium stainless steel it holds an edge very well and is also not hard to sharpen.

DSC_8890.jpg

Well, if you want good knives on the cheap, then (& I hate to say this, but) go to Wal-Mart & pick up a set of those red-handled Paula Dean Santoku knives for $16.99. It took me less than 15 min each to have them scary sharp but they were sharp right out of the package. Everyone who has used ours has bought a set, but want me to sharpen/polish the edge. They are carbon steel, so you gotta wash & dry right away.

My current favorite is a western santuko made by Phillip Patton.
Steel: 154CM
Hardness: 58-59 RC
Blade length: 7.5"
Total length: 12"
Blade thickness: a little over 3/32"
Handle material: ivory micarta with red liners

He addressed my two criticisms with the santuko blade shape:
- a mainly horizontal edge with very little belly
- a sheepsfoot tip without much of a point for piercing
You can see that he raised the point slightly which really does the trick for both "issues". I think he did an outstanding job. Here it is pictured with my other go-to utility knife (Shun elite 4"). While the blade is slightly thicker than the Shun's, it slices almost as well and is waaaay more comfortable to use in addition to an increased ability to mince herbs, etc.

5857092419_af3928b6cf_b.jpg

5857645550_9574e5dd8a_b.jpg

5857092779_d9df1d5eeb_z.jpg

5857645288_0e4a767d78_z.jpg

Morrow, I could dig the gyuto! But what exactly is a yanagiba? A hybrid of a traditional Yanagi? The shapes a bit bit different then a yanagi, it has a bit of a curve to it, but what would it be used for? Yanagi's are used for cutting Sashimi.

Same thing as far as I know. I've seen the same knives referred to as yanagiba and yanagi. I believe yanagiba is the more correct name.

Yanagiba is same as yanagi, ba in that context means blade. Yanagi is willow leaf. Actually, yanagi is shortened for Yanagiba in western world. Used to cut raw fish. Sushi knife in other words.
Here - Japanese kitchen knives types and styles
And - Japanese Knife Anatomy and terminology

It's kind of a complicated answer. IIRC Shun was a Japanese kitchen cutler which was bought up by KAI, and is now a subsidiary company.
Your recollection unfortunately makes little sense to me, and isn't complicated in the least. Shun was a brand created by Kai.

Shun has several lines within it's range of products
Perhaps a few more than several.

In chronological order:
Shun Classic
Shun Pro (Discontinued)
Shun Ken Onion
Shun Pro2 (Discontinued)
Shun Elite (Discontinued)
Shun Kaji
Shun Bob Kramer (Discontinued)
Shun Kramer Meiji (Discontinued)
Shun Gold (Europe)
Shun Premier
Shun Pro 匠 (new blade finish)
Shun Edo
Shun Fuji (July 2011)
Shun Reserve (Sept 2011)
Shun Hiro (Jan 2012)

but usually when one says "Shun" in reference to a knife it generally refers to their Shun Classic line rather than the company as a whole.
:confused:

Shun Pro2 (Discontinued)
Shun Elite (Discontinued)
These two featured SG2 steel/Pakkawood handles right?

Shun Kaji- AFAIK that was WS exclusive, also SG2. Correct?

Shun Pro 匠 (new blade finish) - Can't find anything on the net. So, assuming it has SG2? What is the new finish?
Shun Reserve (Sept 2011) - Few places mention it,no detailsor pix,including kershaw's own website. Can you please provide any info?
Shun Hiro (Jan 2012) - - Same as above...

These two featured SG2 steel/Pakkawood handles right?
Shun Pro2 (Discontinued) - Solid VG-10
Shun Elite (Discontinued) - Yes

Shun Kaji- AFAIK that was WS exclusive, also SG2. Correct?
Yes exclusive, has 33 layer Nickel/SG2 damascus

Shun Pro 匠 (new blade finish) - Can't find anything on the net. So, assuming it has SG2? What is the new finish?
Not SG2, VG-10 w/ Grafitti etched blade
Shun Reserve (Sept 2011) - Few places mention it,no details or pix,including kershaw's own website. Can you please provide any info?
Shun Reserve knives are full tang
Western-style knives with a heftier blade that delivers both power and precision. The
handle, with contoured pommel and nickel silver bolster, is polished charcoal PakkaWood® with
crimson striations and is adorned with an inlaid mosaic Samurai family crest.
Nothing has been overlooked in the crafting of each of these extraordinary kitchen tools. In 150
handcrafted steps, every curve has been meticulously smoothed and rounded, from spine to
heel, while each cutting edge has been exquisitely sharpened so each cut is clean and precise.
Shun Reserve offers the strength and perfectly balanced weight that Western-style knife lovers
prefer.
NSF certified for use in commercial kitchens.
Blade Material: SG-2 powdered steel, clad with 16 layers on either side of nickel
alloy and high carbon steel Pattern Damascus.
Bevel: Double-beveled.
Cutting angle: 16 degrees (comprehensive angle 32 degrees).
Handle Material: PakkaWood® (resin-impregnated hardwood);
Ambidextrous handle
Shun Hiro (Jan 2012)
Will post on this next week.

The reserves sound an awful lot like the Kramers they're making now, minus the kramer design.

Your point being, exactly(have you seen photos that the rest of us have not?)

OR

Are you blowing stench out of your ass?

I think it is pretty cool that this thread has gone on as long as it has, with participation from some pretty knowledgeable folks, and has had a fairly positive vibe to it.

I found your little snipe to be counter to that positive vibe, and it isn't appreciated.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
Curious C-9 Which Stainless knives that you prefer over 1095 knives are you referring to?

There are lots of Japanese ones I'd take over run of the mill 1095, and there are excellent AEB-L ones I'd take over premium 1095 knives. Then you also have stainless PM steels which I might not take, but clearly have a lot of alloy and wear resistance.

Your point being, exactly(have you seen photos that the rest of us have not?)

OR

Are you blowing stench out of your ass?

I'm not sure who you're addressing but I'll assume it is me. All I said is that they seem similar to the Shun Kramers. Its a simple observation, and it gives you an idea about what they're talking about in that description. They're probably gearing that factory/production line and old stocks to different shapes because Kramer is going with Henckels now. Of course, that would be an extremely idiotic thing to get upset over, but I honestly can't figure out how your post works in relation to anyone else's post.

Shun Reserve knives are full tang
Western-style knives with a heftier blade that delivers both power and precision.

Shun Kramer, check

The handle, with contoured pommel

So maybe the Shun Kramers don't have a pommel, but that is just another addition to the new knife.

nickel silver bolster

Check, only the Kramer and the onions iirc

is polished charcoal PakkaWood® with crimson striations

Definite check, Kramers are the only Shuns with such a material

and is adorned with an inlaid mosaic Samurai family crest.

Sure sounds like the mosaic pin on the Kramers

Nothing has been overlooked in the crafting of each of these extraordinary kitchen tools. In 150 handcrafted steps

Pretty sure that comes straight out of the Shun Kramer description

I found your little snipe to be counter to that positive vibe, and it isn't appreciated.

I have no idea what little snipe you're talking about, but if you're referring to my disagreement with many other points that have been posted, I'm sure there's an ignore function somewhere. I disagree with people because I think they're wrong, and even worse, they teach other people wrong things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back