Lets See Some Pure Fighters

1zyydly.jpg

20k50rm.jpg

Last edited:
I have no idea if this qualifies as a 'pure fighter', but here goes:

It surely does IMHO Matt - I'm a big fan of your work. I've always admired the Japanese style fighters but not enough time to learn the style (and all the nomenclature)

Scott McGhee Cottonmouth...

I love that knife. Everything about it. THAT is a fighting Bowie, to me.

It surely does IMHO Matt - I'm a big fan of your work. I've always admired the Japanese style fighters but not enough time to learn the style (and all the nomenclature)

Thanks, bud! I'm careful to point out, though, that NOTHING I do is truly 'Japanese' in tradition. I cob design elements and terms from them at will, but I'm sure I rarely get it right. Heck, that knife is a perfect example - I'm almost positive it shouldn't be called 'aikuchi' at all, but Dan Keffeler had some similar elements on one he called that, so I ran with it. ;)

Coke Coke Wow fella, great custom knives you had made. Rob Davidson does fine work by the looks... you have me confused buddy, the first set above in post #706 with the early Brend are those not model 2's? Rob's replica is very nice, I really like that.

How much does the super attack weigh? The guard is a beast, you could make a necker out of that alone ;)

Edit: Bless Rob I think he has it wrong but AFAIK this is a Brend Model #1:

http://www.walterbrend.org/product-page/model-1

Last edited:
Hi Skirmish,

The Attack weighs a tad over 600g, which is about 1.35lbs. It's not as heavy as it looks, the original Randall Attack I have tips the scales at around 1.45lbs with its 400 grade steel.

I told Rob that the guard could be a weapon in its own right. On my template and specs I had it set to 8mm thick, I posted the template file here on the forum many months ago, but Rob had some 9.4mm thick 416 leftover from other work that he thought I might like better. So he installed it without telling me anything about it. It looked a little overly thick to me when I first saw it, then I realized why when I got the Verniers on it. I could have it reformed into a Randall Model 1 type guard which would reduce its exposed bulk considerably... but I won't.

You're right about the Brend Model numbers, it's my bad, not Rob's. It's an early Model 2, not a Model 1.

Skirmish,

I emailed Rob about the Max hilt yesterday and told him it wasn't the size I ordered. He replied today apologizing umpteen times and offered me to either return it and have it reformed to any shape I wanted, or to return it and have it either REMADE again to my specs or to have a totally different knife of similar size made for me.

Given I already have another knifemaker working on what I consider to be the upgraded version of the Super Attack, ie, the Max Attack, I decided to go with what would have been my next build with him anyway:

2d7hmc7.jpg

Just goes to show that there are people with integrity in all walks of life.

Last edited:
Is this an 8" or 7" Model 2? Thanks in advance!

It's a 2-8, walnut handle, fluted spacer and pommel. I'd wanted a Randall since I visited the shop as a kid in the 90's...when we went to Disney World about 6 years ago I managed to sneak in a visit to the shop. I pondered what to get for quite a while, eventually settled on a configuration I could pass off at the Ren Faires we frequent ;)

~Chip

Don't know if this qualifies as a fighter or just a combat/utility. Feel free to share your opinion - I just might learn something :D This one is going to Spain.

8 1/2" OAL 4 1/4" BL stabilized spalted hackberry/CPM-154

V/R, TK

Bob Lum....not a tanto, but something I knew I wanted as soon as I saw it. Perfect size for my purposes.
Grabbed this one just now after waiting for my offer to be accepted or declined. Almost a NYS blade, pretty decent sheath, too. Apparently, a one off. This will be used for carry:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a new Fighter by a friend and Brother, something a bit different.... :)
large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Back