Lion Steel "Roundhead" Euro-Barlow

I don't see this knife on the Lionsteel site, I wonder if they are manufacturing it for another company

What can you guys tell me about this knife??

I can tell you that I am super excited. For a while, I've wanted an M390 knife that has a reasonably thin-stock blade (most that I'm aware of approach 1/8" and oh dear why?), and for a better part of the spring thought about asking Bradford Knives to make an M390 barlow slip joint. I can tell you that the Lionsteel knife I have owned was exceptionally made, on par with GEC, Moki, and CRK fit and finish.

I can remark that I have seen Moletta sell something called an Enigma slip joint on the forum a couple times, and so I'm willing to bet this is an in-house Lionsteel piece. But that's just speculation. Finally, I can say that a sub-$100 knife with a sub-.100" M390 blade isn't really happening anywhere else, which surprises me, and makes me glad for Lionsteel.

I went right for the ram's horn. I've wanted a ram's horn knife for a long, long time. And a traditional with M390. Sounds like heaven!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Molletta did say last year to keep an eye out for a new barlow, in a salespost I believe. Very nifty design, will have to study more when I'm done at this Childrens birthday party.
Thanks, Neal

I can tell you that I am super excited. For a while, I've wanted an M390 knife that has a reasonably thin-stock blade (most that I'm aware of approach 1/8" and oh dear why?), and for a better part of the spring thought about asking Bradford Knives to make an M390 barlow slip joint. I can tell you that the Lionsteel knife I have owned was exceptionally made, on par with GEC, Moki, and CRK fit and finish.

I can remark that I have seen Moletta sell something called an Enigma slip joint on the forum a couple times, and so I'm willing to bet this is an in-house Lionsteel piece. But that's just speculation. Finally, I can say that a sub-$100 knife with a sub-.100" M390 blade isn't really happening anywhere else, which surprises me, and makes me glad for Lionsteel.
I have a benchmade Ritter griptillian with m390 that is awesome. Lionsteel makes some really nice fixed blades also. I picked one up for my step-dad for skinning deer. I've only had one of their folders, but I expect this to be a really nice, well made knife too. I'm excited for this one.

I have a fixed that needs reprofiling, very expensive knife that came with an almost obtuse angle bevel. I've tried to modify it, but need some new DMT stones. Really I think I should send it to someone and have the angle set, as I've found it to be monstrously difficult freehand. Something slimmer would be phenomenal. Also something I could use immediately would be a pleasant change, as I've about given up on the steel. Thanks Jake for pointing this out. The difficult decisions on where to spend money keep piling up. :D First world problems, aren't they terrible?
Thanks, Neal

Neal, shoot a message to Josh at Razor Edge Knives. He is a great guy that does Great work.

I am hoping that the Rams Horn is the yellow/orange/caramel color, not the black/grey/silver/white one.

Looking at the knife it seems possible that the front screw in the bolster is the pivot–it appears to line up.

I kind of want one just to see what the super steel fuss is about. S35vn is the tent of my high end steel experience. It would be nice to have a knife I didn't have to touch up so frequently, but I'm still finding it hard to look past the screwed construction. If it was pinned I'd be all over it.

I just saw these in the newsletter from Mike, and they look nice! I would love to see what the rams horn version look like.

I kind of want one just to see what the super steel fuss is about. S35vn is the tent of my high end steel experience. It would be nice to have a knife I didn't have to touch up so frequently, but I'm still finding it hard to look past the screwed construction. If it was pinned I'd be all over it.

I'll say this - I like S35VN. I don't really mind any steel. But I love M390. Edge finish does make a difference, but it is a really aggressive-cutting steel and it stays aggressive for a long time. It can get just as sharp as carbon steels, but while being incredibly stainless.

Back