Lion Steel "Roundhead" Euro-Barlow

Look away! Look away! - Is what I keep telling myself. That didn't work. Now, I'm telling myself I don't like certain aspects to it. For example the screws in the bolsters. Who am I kidding though. How often do you get m390 and titanium in a barlow?

All customer service issues, I assume, would require sending it to Italy.

If they had a bolster stamp and a swedge on the blade I would buy 2. :D

Edit: Im still looking! :eek:

The way I am looking at it, if this is a success for the company, it may bring more to the table from these folks or others.
Modern upgraded alloys, Ti, thin BTE with a decent HT needed to support the edge, et al...
Count me in.

The way I am looking at it, if this is a success for the company, it may bring more to the table from these folks or others.
Modern upgraded alloys, Ti, thin BTE with a decent HT needed to support the edge, et al...
Count me in.

I would be ok with that. :thumbup:

Want! Can't wait to see photos of the other versions.

Feels like the Italians are pushing the envelope in terms of what the market wants!

Last edited:
If they had a bolster stamp and a swedge on the blade I would buy 2. :D

Edit: Im still looking! :eek:

fyi, there is a swedge. Not quite a stabber jack, but it does have a slight swedge.

That's a good looking knife if you don't mind the screws. Modern materials, good size, at a GEC price point. They should sell well.

Am I alone in thinking that this was a potential swan which emerged as an ugly duckling?

I bit on the carbon fibre, I just don't think the Ti bolsters and the screws will work with the other materials.

The handles / bolsters are removable. Pivot and backspring pins are fixed. Screws make assembly easier and we decided not to buff them off just to give the look of a pin and loose the ability to swap skins or allow for bolster treatment if the customer wanted. I have been carrying the pictured prototype for a few weeks. Have come up with a handful of tweaks, but for the most part they nailed it right up front. We didn't want a traditional Barlow; in my opinion nobody will ever top the aesthetics of the GEC #15 and #77 models in this day and age. Our American traditional makers are not able to work with some components that I felt left a void in the market these days. And the American makers that could, are solely committed to the modern folder.

There are no pictures of the other variations, because the other variations do not exist yet. Lion Steel is awaiting our final "Go" before putting these into the 90 day production cycle. We just needed to see where the demand was on the slab materials. The other slab materials can easily be spotted on other Lion Steel models.

As with anything, there will be lovers and there will be haters, and there will be many in between. Sadly, someone has to put money on the barrel head to figure out if it is a boom or a bust. But having this knife in my pocket I finally just came to the conclusion that if it is not a success; it has nothing to do with the knife itself - as it is a peach. More likely my (non-existent) marketing skills or a million man march of those that couldn't stand to see screws in a traditional style :D

I don't get it, is this a dealer exclusive or will this be a production model? if a dealer exclusive, can I opt in from Germany as well?

Mike, I gather from your post that this knife is manufactured by Lionsteel for Collector Knives, what will the branding be? And, in keeping with the traditional aesthetic, it doesn't have a pocket clip does it?

I wasn't sure on the size 3 3/4. I love the size but most of my knives are already at that length. Mike, if these are profitable enough, do you see any other "traditional" SFO down the road with this company? I wouldn't mind a matching ram's horn and m390 stockman :D

I hope to get lucky

Am I alone in thinking that this was a potential swan which emerged as an ugly duckling?

I bit on the carbon fibre, I just don't think the Ti bolsters and the screws will work with the other materials.

Yes, I'm thinking you may as well go all the way with the modern materials for a futuristic Barlow. Of course, I could be proven wrong once I see the other versions.
I went with a "maybe" on the carbon fiber, so it'll depend on funds and availability if I end up with one.

I like the screws, and how could they not be traditional? Ummm, Archimedes springs to mind, as well as their use in machinery and woodworking for three centuries or more. Add in switching skins, or adding embellishment (read engraving and carving) and someone explain how this is bad. End user customizations are all over, including threads here dedicated to it. I'm loving this! If you can't tell. :D Wonder what Charlie thinks?
Thanks, Neal
PS-if this is the roundhead, does that mean we'll see a restoration barlow too? :D:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Mike, any idea whether you/Lionsteel are going to use the lighter cream and brown rams horn (1) or the darker horn with a lot of black (2)?
(1)
75f70ee2d0184f24e4d0f7b7ef44939f5616c301.jpg

s-l225.jpg

(2)
LST8800DMN.jpg

Opera_Rams_Horn_Damascus_8800dmn_1a__41933.1426612851.1280.1280.JPG

The handles / bolsters are removable. Pivot and backspring pins are fixed. Screws make assembly easier and we decided not to buff them off just to give the look of a pin and loose the ability to swap skins or allow for bolster treatment if the customer wanted. I have been carrying the pictured prototype for a few weeks. Have come up with a handful of tweaks, but for the most part they nailed it right up front. We didn't want a traditional Barlow; in my opinion nobody will ever top the aesthetics of the GEC #15 and #77 models in this day and age. Our American traditional makers are not able to work with some components that I felt left a void in the market these days. And the American makers that could, are solely committed to the modern folder.

There are no pictures of the other variations, because the other variations do not exist yet. Lion Steel is awaiting our final "Go" before putting these into the 90 day production cycle. We just needed to see where the demand was on the slab materials. The other slab materials can easily be spotted on other Lion Steel models.

As with anything, there will be lovers and there will be haters, and there will be many in between. Sadly, someone has to put money on the barrel head to figure out if it is a boom or a bust. But having this knife in my pocket I finally just came to the conclusion that if it is not a success; it has nothing to do with the knife itself - as it is a peach. More likely my (non-existent) marketing skills or a million man march of those that couldn't stand to see screws in a traditional style :D

Yeah I did that, had a look at their CF on other models and saw that they used the same type throughout and then made my decision.

Yours is really pretty, Mike. It's hard for me to pull the trigger on cocobolo without seeing the actual knife. You think the other cocobolo will have similar grain and coloring? Regardless, it looks like there isn't much time left to decide!

:thumbup: You can give Lion Steel the Go anytime now. :thumbup:

I bought a mini-barrage in M390, love the steel, but I discovered that it's just to modern for me.
Since then I've wished for a traditional pattern with M390. Now all I have to do is wait for this one.
I'm already down as a definite sure for the Cocobolo & I'm betting I'll talk myself into a Carbon Fiber.

I really like it! This is the first knife that is not GEC that I have been excited about for a long time. I like the choice of materials, style, and think it looks good too. Best of all is the price!! That is a lot of knife for the cost! Thanks Mike

Question: How thin of a grind are we talking? Is it comparable to GECs thinly ground blades?

Back