Lion Steel "Roundhead" Euro-Barlow

Is the abalone real abalone shell or a material made to look like abalone?
Real abalone, likely cut into strips and laid flat to look natural then covered in a clear acrylic.

How about a poor teaser shot from the factory showing the options...
CK01s.jpg

The only 'poor' thing about this picture is is how poor it will make me! I'd been undecided on the stag until now...

The only 'poor' thing about this picture is is how poor it will make me! I'd been undecided on the stag until now...
Don't forget that there may very well be some folks that are going to sell their slabs, or trade them for others.

Don't forget that there may very well be some folks that are going to sell their slabs, or trade them for others.
I'm looking forward to some of the good custom folks making slabs. The size should be a given and I'm sure there will be some great options to be had in the near future. Sky's the limit right?

Cough*Ebony*Cough

Not a tax, cocobolo / ebony got added to CITES and exponentially added to the complications of moving them into the U.S.
Is it Palo Santo wood now? Honestly I am excited if so because I don't have a knife with that material yet.

Is the abalone real abalone shell or a material made to look like abalone?

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but I do have a video on my youtube channel that compares two common types of stabilized abalone used in knife handles if you are interested.

You can't actually cut an abalone shell and make it work as a reasonable sized slab due to the curvature. What knife makers have called genuine abalone is many layers of abalone slices stacked on top of each other with any epoxy making them one solid piece. For several years they have had an ALVS (acrylic laminate veneer sheet) which is one thin veneer of abalone encased in acrylic. This is what GEC called "Looking Glass".

What we are selling as abalone on the Roundhead is actually tofu molded and colored to look like abalone.

LVS (ref. Genuine Abalone)

ALVS (ref. Looking Glass)

You can't actually cut an abalone shell and make it work as a reasonable sized slab due to the curvature. What knife makers have called genuine abalone is many layers of abalone slices stacked on top of each other with any epoxy making them one solid piece. For several years they have had an ALVS (acrylic laminate veneer sheet) which is one thin veneer of abalone encased in acrylic. This is what GEC called "Looking Glass".

What we are selling as abalone on the Roundhead is actually tofu molded and colored to look like abalone.

LVS (ref. Genuine Abalone)

ALVS (ref. Looking Glass)
Mmm tasty

This is why I love these guys! Wanting to get the customers the individual knife that they want is Fantastic!

Taken from my email (I am in for a Rams Horn):
"On this knife, put in the order notes whether you would rather have smooth or textured horn and we will do our best to accommodate everyone."

This is how you gain customers for life.

I got a Santo Wood comming to me. After it gets a cool edge put on it by a rather well known YouTube Reviewer / Knife Sharpener :thumbsup::cool:

Back